StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left for vacation and returned a week later to find radiator fluid under my bike. I started the bike and it leaks from the small hose (labeled in photo) on the right side. Does anyone know what's up with this? I've had the bike 3 yrs and it's never leaked before. Any help is greatly appreciated. Mike :confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
non expert here, that hose looks like an overflow. I looked on mine, but my 650 has a different setup, try the 1K thread for help . Hope it's nothing serious.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That's a tell-tale hose from the water pump. You have a seal leak from the coolant side of the water pump. A small leak may go away by itself. The usual cause is a bit of grit on the seal contact which can wash out. If it persists, cleaning may work. Serious cases mean rebuilding or replacing the water pump.

·
Registered
522 Posts
When was the last time you flushed the fluid in the cooling system completely? I'll bet the GW is on the right track as far as what's happening.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a tell-tale hose from the water pump. You have a seal leak from the coolant side of the water pump. A small leak may go away by itself. The usual cause is a bit of grit on the seal contact which can wash out. If it persists, cleaning may work. Serious cases mean rebuilding or replacing the water pump.
I appreciate the info. I've been told the Stroms are nortorious for this issue. Correct? I hadn't heard that. I guess a cleaning is in order. EC90T you were asking about that. I've not flushed it. Bought it used a couple years ago and only ride a couple thousand miles a year. It's got 12,000 miles on it now, so kind of felt like it's still "new." Maybe not.

Any further thoughts suggestions are appreciated. I did see a You Tube video labeled "DL 1000 Water Pump Disassembly" that shows the replacement of a seal and gasket that's held in the crank case cover. Is this the seal you reference Greywolf?

Thanks again guys for you input and assistance. It is greatly appreciated.
Mike

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
#3 is a spring loaded double seal. One side for oil and one side for water.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I appreciate the info. I've been told the Stroms are nortorious for this issue. Correct?

Any further thoughts suggestions are appreciated.
Mike
FWIW:
I have a DL1000k6 with 38k miles on the ticker and mine occasionally will leave a "piddle" on the floor of my garage from the exact same hose.

The hose is serving its purpose, no problem.
If you'll inspect the "piddle" on the floor, you will see that there is NO oil there, just a little anti freeze.
And on your next oil change, you will see that your oil is NOT milky or foggy from coolant contamination. Just dirty oil.
Yes/No???
-Ej-

P.S. Greywolf, your brevity, wisdom, and helpfulness on the forum are unmatchable!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW:
I have a DL1000k6 with 38k miles on the ticker and mine occasionally will leave a "piddle" on the floor of my garage from the exact same hose.

The hose is serving its purpose, no problem.
If you'll inspect the "piddle" on the floor, you will see that there is NO oil there, just a little anti freeze.
And on your next oil change, you will see that your oil is NOT milky or foggy from coolant contamination. Just dirty oil.
Yes/No???
-Ej-

P.S. Greywolf, your brevity, wisdom, and helpfulness on the forum are unmatchable!
Correct. No oil in coolant and no coolant contamination.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Correct. No oil in coolant and no coolant contamination.
What I DO find odd is that (on my bike) it is only occasionally there (the leak).
A rather rare occurrence indeed.
With my 2006 Vee I have too many other things to worry about. . .
Like when will I admit to myself that the predictable and annoying loss of idle after a long flat highway run is a firmware issue and not simply time for yet another TPS. :(

Post and let us know if that leak ever becomes a problem in the future.
Thanks,
-Ej-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts