StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Here's the deal, Got an O8 with 25K on it. Ride it rain or shine, Thought I wanted a concours or ninja 1000- rode them and hated them compared to my bike. The only complaint I have with the current stead is @ over 75 mph its uncomfortable for a long trip. The guys I ride with have a FJR and FZ6. So here are the choices- Get a tiger 1050 with low miles, OR put the M4/Aircleaner/PCV for 1000.00 and have Sasquatch do the Suspension for 850.00 and just ride for the next 100,000 miles. I already have the Cali-sci windscreen, Russell daylong, Bars, Givi, ect.
Help, Help, Help - I am obsessing.:headbang::furious:
Oh and by the way- MERRY CHRISTMAS!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
So you must have ridden the Tiger and really like it... How long did you ride it? Do you take a lot of long trips?

Really only you can answer the question of what you want to ride.

I have owned 30+ bikes and just love motorcycles. The first time ever on a GL1800 for an 8 hr ride and bingo, I knew it was a bike I wanted in my stable. Now 7 years later I still own it along with my new V.

I do not care for the ST1300 or the FJR, I do like the BMW R1150RT, just can't hold a candle to the Wing.

If money isn't an issue then ride everything out there and see what you really like. If money is an issue stay away, buy a used Tiger at a steal or spend the money on the V. The V is a great bike as you know. To me if I'm not comfortable then I'm not ridding.

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
When my riding friends want to go faster than me I just watch them disappear into the future. It's called riding your own ride. They get riding awards with a light show and I don't!
I ain't giving up the Wee to play keep up.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I do not know how long you have had the 08. When I got my 07 used I "thought" it didn't fit me well in the handle bar reach and hieght dept. Easy fixes but I waited. To me bikes are like new boots and you need to get used to them. At first I thought the Vee was going to be a temporary cheap bike for me while repairing my expensive one from crashing it.

The Vee has grown on me. The more times I ride it and the longer the trip I take the more it fits and I like it. It needed no changes, the rider did.

Now my expensive bike sits and collects dust and I may sell it next spring. The strom is a keeper and I have been averaging 12,000 miles plus a year for 3 years now. 62,000 total on the clock.

Yes, I get a woody when something sexier goes buy, but for shear unadulterated no holds barred fun in any weather and riding with any other types of bikes (usually much more expensive), my strom and I are both all smiles with bugs in our teeth.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
When my riding friends want to go faster than me I just watch them disappear into the future. It's called riding your own ride. They get riding awards with a light show and I don't!
I ain't giving up the Wee to play keep up.
I agree. 75 MPH is fast enough in most situations, at least for me anyway. However, I don't make a practice of riding the Interstate so on most secondary highways, 75 is fast enough.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Do the mods, make your bike comfortable for you.

Ride slower, enjoy the trip and the scenery [70-75mph is more than fast enough on a long ride].

Keep your licence.

Arrive more relaxed.

And live longer.

Any bike you can keep around for 100,000+ is worth spending a bit of money on.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Both for Government roving tax collectors and potential Commercial drivers license reasons I am going to TRY keep it to under 20 over

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, I get a woody when something sexier goes buy, but for shear unadulterated no holds barred fun in any weather and riding with any other types of bikes (usually much more expensive), my strom and I are both all smiles with bugs in our teeth.[/QUOTE]

Preach on brother- never expected to have friends asking me if I'd be riding the cruiser ever again, after they see me on the Lobster all the time. Have done long trips above 75 but my gosh I wouldn't expect her to excel there, as sweet as she is twisting through the mountains or bouncing through the fire trails. I don't think there's 1 bike that does it all adequately - at least for a realistic price long term.

Still love the cruiser too though - both bikes together less than a Duc or a GSA. Ride safe.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats funny

I like the idea of a cruiser for a short summer ride. Maybe a raider, hammer or rocker. Thanks- "I thought I was the only one"

·
Registered
353 Posts
above 75 trip comfort

I've never really ridden the Triumph and sounds like I'd better try one just to see about the comfort issue. I consider my Wee pretty comfortable up to actual 75 for long trips and in twisties. I'd be curious to know how the Triumph excells in comfort compared to the Wee at higher speeds. Is it the power on tap, engine smoothness above 6k on Wee or just better stability wind protection and ride. (My Wee has suspension mods and feels pretty good to me on highway but have to admit that 70 to 75 actual is where I cruise on Wee with 16Tooth so maybe I just don't do more becasue it is not comfortable).

I don't know if I'd even cruise above 80 much but if that Triumph is that much more comfortable on long trips maybe I'd better look at one becasue I know Triumphs handle well...I've never been the type for a GoldWing cause of the weight and nimbleness-just opinion.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Spend the money on a 100,000 mile bike.
Thanks
I learned the hard way.
Spent $6k near enough on repairs and maintenance in 12 months, on a BMW R1150GS- and at a pre trip service they wanted to add another $5-$6k in the following 6 months. :yikes:
And in that 12 months I only rode 20,000km

The Wee has cost me nothing but routine oil changes/fuel/tyres in the two years since I bought it [brand new off the showroom floor].
And in that time I've covered over 52,000km

Oh, and I did the rear brake pads at around 46,000km and the front sprocket and chain at about 48,000km [the rear sprocket is still looking near new], front pads will be done after Christmas as soon as I get the chance.

I can see my bike covering another 100,000+km [which puts me up near your 100,000 miles] without any trouble at all.

I'm hoping to put some serious distance on it after Christmas with a ride from one side of Australia to the other and back again to visit my grandchildren.

Keep your bike, fine tune it to what you want and run up another 75,000 miles on it, just because it will last that long.

And spend all that money you saved by not buying a new bike by doing more rides/trips on your "current steed".

And Merry Christmas back to you too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ok, Here's the deal, Got an O8 with 25K on it. Ride it rain or shine, Thought I wanted a concours or ninja 1000- rode them and hated them compared to my bike. The only complaint I have with the current stead is @ over 75 mph its uncomfortable for a long trip. The guys I ride with have a FJR and FZ6. So here are the choices- Get a tiger 1050 with low miles, OR put the M4/Aircleaner/PCV for 1000.00 and have Sasquatch do the Suspension for 850.00 and just ride for the next 100,000 miles. I already have the Cali-sci windscreen, Russell daylong, Bars, Givi, ect.
I have a buddy with a Tiger 1050. Great bike, but he has had some mechanical issue and am not convinced that it is more comfortable than the strom. I've been on an FZ6 not an FJR, but they seem a lot less comfortable. If you want a faster bike and have lots of cash then check out the tiger. It is beautiful, has a super smooth and powerful engine and is multi purpose just like the strom.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Spock once told Captain Kirk...

"Wanting something is often more pleasurable than having, it is not logical, but often true".

Listen, we all lust after things, myself included, but like Spock so cleverly said, we are often disappointed when we actually get what we wanted.

Happy Pagan Mid-Winter Festival to all...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been in the same boat with the 05 650 I bought last spring for my first bike. I've been considering the Ninja 1000, Tiger 1050, and Bandit 1250 because you're supposed to upgrade from your "starter" bike......right? I've ridden the Ninja and Tiger. I didn't like the Ninja either, but the Tiger was incredible. Just as comfortable a riding position as the Strom with comparable wind protection and what I thought was a good saddle, and ALOT more power. What puts me off about the Tiger is they seem to have more mechanical problems than the Stroms. I don't if its alot, but it sure seems to be more. I can't find a used Bandit to ride in my area, which I suspect means the owners are satisfied with them and aren't getting rid of them. I've been to four dealerships asking about or looking at the GSX1250. All of the salesmen asked what I was currently riding and when I told them I had a DL650, two of them only talked about what a great bike it was and never said another word about the GSX.

What it comes down to for me is this - The DL650 is paid for, gets good mileage on cheap gas, costs next to nothing to insure, and will run almost forever with simple maintenance. I can ride it at highway speed for as long as I want to, and probably wouldn't ride any faster than that on a faster bike anyway.

I'm sticking with the Strom.......at least until Kawasaki decides to bring the Versys 1000 to the U.S.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
The guys I ride with have a FJR and FZ6. So here are the choices- Get a tiger 1050 with low miles, OR put the M4/Aircleaner/PCV for 1000.00 and have Sasquatch do the Suspension for 850.00 and just ride for the next 100,000 miles.
Or get new friends to ride with. This may not sound helpful, but if your riding companions are dictating your touring style maybe you are running with the wrong crowd. If you don't want to go that fast, why aren't they accommodating you? On the several occasions when I have got together with forum friends for a group ride the consensus was to stay within the slowest rider's comfort envelope, whether that was dictated by their skill level of their machine.

A few months ago I hosted a visitor from the UK who is an expert rider, but his borrowed mount was a vintage Yamaha XS650. Knowing of its vibratory excess at high rpms which can get very old on a long ride, everyone else held the speed down to 65 or so.

It's common courtesy, that's all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ts not them.

I did not mean to make it sound like they force me to ride fast. Last year on the way home from Stanley, ID we hit lohman pass. Ten miles of 15ml/hr corners. It was awesome. The only time it was uncomfortable was coming out of Halfway, OR along the salmon river. We were hitting 80 mph sweepers and the bike could do it it just did not feel comfortable running @ 80-90. It just does not feel like the bike likes it or was designed for that kind of speed. So it was me... not the guys or the strom. Thanks for all the comments. I had not heard of the mechanical issues with the Tiger. I did Ride one and the power is addictive.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Funny how many of us have had the same experiences:

Someone made the comment that they bought the Strom as a temporary replacement for a crashed bike that was being repaired.

I bought my 07 about a year and a half ago (as a cheap temporary replacement) when my BMW was totaled and I had not settled with the insurance company. I settled with the insurance company about 8 months ago and have no plans to replace the Strom with another BMW.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
We were hitting 80 mph sweepers and the bike could do it it just did not feel comfortable running @ 80-90
You would probably be better off with a ZX14 for that kind of riding, not an "adventure tourer" like a Vee or Tiger. Or if you don't ride like that all the time why not find an older VFR or Gixxer for a couple of grand just to use on those occasions? I had a '94 GSX1100G which I loaned to my British friend on another visit and when we caught up to him (he obligingly stopped to wait for the rest of us) he enthusiastically described how stable the bike was in 130-mph sweepers. That bike cost $2K. It was fast and fun. TOO fast and fun for me and my aging reflexes.:cryin:

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
The thing about getting a faster bike [so you can keep up with your lead-wristed riding bud's], is that you'll use it. I only rode my buddy's GSXR1100 once to know that having a faster bike definitely would shorten my legal riding career..............

Guess you haven't gotten a speeding ticket lately - they've gone up a bit [$$$$]. And, other than having more kick, I doubt a Tiger would be any more comfy at 80+ than a Strom.....wind is wind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts