StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in the cycle shop yesterday. Saw a used 2 yr old 1200GS with hard bags, 10,000 mi, abs, new tires, for $12,000. Almost bought it right there, buy there's nothing wrong with my 05 Vstrom 650. It's accessorized out and the only thing I don't like is its too twitchy in cross winds. I need someone to talk me out of getting this BMW and getting rid of the Vstrom. Help! :)

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Ick!

Was in the cycle shop yesterday. Saw a used 2 yr old 1200GS with hard bags, 10,000 mi, abs, new tires, for $12,000. Almost bought it right there, buy there's nothing wrong with my 05 Vstrom 650. It's accessorized out and the only thing I don't like is its too twitchy in cross winds. I need someone to talk me out of getting this BMW and getting rid of the Vstrom. Help! :)
Ummm. How about: "Women find male BMW riders offensive and repellent"

That help?

:var_39:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just think of all the fun you will miss out on while your Beemer is in the shop. And all the brews and burgers you can't afford after writing the checks to the beemer fixers.:p Oh and the 2 count them, 2 new Wee's you could have bought for that price. But really the beemer is a nice ride, and you will enjoy it. Just costly.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Go back to the dealer late at night with opera glasses and a flashlight.

Look under the driveshaft housing for the oil puddle that they will mop up before they open.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, and I understand that most people buy BMW's cause it's easier to spell.

Bang for the buck is the Wee in my book. Suzuki Dealers are everywhere, Beemers are few and far between.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
I found my V-Strom to be sensitive to cross winds when the tire psi was low. Check it carefully with an accurate gauge and cold tires. Also, many of the guys swear the fork brace improves handling in cross winds. With all due respect, the BMW could turn out to be a $12,000 mistake.

·
Registered
371 Posts
well i watched long way around and the BMW GS and was certainly interested...all the way up to the purchase price tag....Weestrom sounded much better after that:mrgreen:

...BMW's...,so expensive you think they already broke down after you pay for it

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
you do know what BMW stands for, right?

Big Mexican Weenie

So either you'll have one or you'll be one.

If that don't change your mind...
But on the other hand, you're already a weenie.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dude, check the air pressure in your head...there's a reason BMW stands for Break My Wallet and Buy More Warranty !!! You won't catch me riding one of those money pits.

As far as your V-Strom being twitchy in cross-winds...ALL motorcycles are twitchy in cross winds. Ever drive behind a bike and wonder why he's leaning to one side and wobbling all over the road in high winds? Dynamics of the vehicle, not the brand of bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My BMW is more stable in any conditions than my DL 650.
The used one your looking at probably has the linked, servo operated brakes. They suck and are very expensive to service. I wouldn't buy any bike that had that brake system, but I'm a non ABS guy anyway.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Buy the GS!!!

I think it's a GREAT idea to get rid of your stone dependable V-Strom and buy the expensive to maintain, unreliable, failure prone BMW! As Obama has said, it's time to be more patriotic and spread your wealth around. If you get the GS, you WILL be redistributing your wealth to the dealer, his technicians, his parts suppliers, etc... It's really just the right thing to do for the economy. The rest of you are all a bunch of greedy bastards who probably think that you actually deserve to KEEP your money, just because you got a job, went to work and earned it. Get with the (government) program, people!

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Hey man think for yourself, if you want it go buy it!!!! Then keep us posted on how great it is. Maybe we will all end up with one.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Why?

Why pay twice as much and get half the reliability.

I am a previous 1200GS owner and I am telling you right now, DON'T BUY IT, you'll be sorry if you do!

Just think of all the neat trips you can take with the money saved. Oh and don't go any place that doesn't sell premium gas, or allow side trip from your route so you can get premium. Then try and find a dealer when the final drive goes south.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My last tow for my R1150GS was $650.00. The only reason it was my last tow was because I sold it. It was a great bike when it was running. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts