StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I disconnected my seat release cable and in a moment of madness, I put the seat back on.

I can't get to the cable with the seat on, but can't remove the seat with the cable lose.

Now what??

Naturally, I'm taking the bike for a trip.... Usuall story...

Thanks!

ChuckS

K

·
0 Posts
Maybe remove the rear fender? Two side bolts and the rear two luggage rack bolts appear to be all that's holding it on. No idea whether or not this will give you access to the latch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'll try something in the AM. Here is how my evening went after I screwed up the cable......

I rode about 80 miles to Eastern Michigan University. I'm thinking about going back to school & had a counselling appt. I get there, park, take off my gear, put it in my just installed side cases, & go do my thing. 2 hours later, I come back & my bike is GONE. Not a single vehicle in the lot where I left it. It's a paid lot, with security. Guard hasn't seen anythng & directs me to the Public Safety Department.

At the Public Safety Dept, they started the paperwork for a stolen bike & sent a kid over to check & see if I'm blind & just didn't see my bike. 10 minutes later the kid calls in that my bike is in the lot. I walk over to where they say my bike is, and there she is!!

It's a different parking lot than where I parked- like 500 feet away!! No damage, nothing distrubed except my left mirror.

A- I'm losing my mind & forgot where I parked. Senile at 40?

B- Bored college kids moved the bike?

OK, now I'm happy again & get on the superslab home. I'm passing a line of trucks when some huge pick up or SUV starts coming up fast. He is NOT slowing down.... Now I'm getting on it pretty hard trying to not get run over by this idiot. Did I mention the new cases? I hope they don't affect the handling. As I pass 100 indicated I finally pass the last truck.

The truck is following a state cop at 65 mph. I'm at WOT, this jerk is on my ass, & staying about 10 feet behind me. As soon as I pass the cop, I flip over into his lane & put on my flashers. He immediately lights up & pulls into the left lane, & chased the SUV down. I took the first exit & took a break. God was looking out for me I guess.

I'm having a beer now. Bike seat can wait.

ChuckS

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
figured out

It took awhile, but here is the fix:

Pry seat up from the right side, a couple of inches from the back.

Look for where the cable goes in the release mech.

Now that you know the target, make a tool to fit. I used a piece of 1/8" welding rod, bent at a sharp 90 at the end.

Insert the tool into the cable holder & push & wiggle until it releases.

ChuckS

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
ChuckS

That was quite a day. Luckily the cop understood your situation. People that push should be given a wheel barrel to push instead of an SUV.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Martin said:
ChuckS said:
B- Bored college kids moved the bike?
Guess I'm stating the obvious here but it's a good idea to always lock the steering to discourage such pranks or a real theft.

- Martin
Bigarse chain and contractors lock for when your actually at school and storing it ;)

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Many decades ago I once found my Mini on the other side of a fence in a school yard. It was locked too. Had some strange looks while cruising the sidewalk looking for a driveway. Then there was the LEO and my laughing friends.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts