Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Yesterday after driving through very heavy mud for over 2 hours I couldn't get any forward momentum with my bike. The motor was still running but the bike wasn't going anywhere.

I stopped it, reversed it a bit, pushed it forward, but still nothing. After repeating this a bit I managed to push it on to pavement (we were just 200 metres from town).

We got it going, but it was moving very slowly and only at about half its usual power. I suspected the problem was the amount of mud clogging the chain, but after a full clean this morning with a high-powered hose it still seems to be going only at half power.

Has anyone got any ideas? I will take it to a mechanic this afternoon but thought I would first check here.

Cheers,
Reece

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is the clutch slipping when loaded beyond a certain amount of torque? Maybe some seized/contaminated wheel bearings are robbing you of power.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
(shakes head) when will these people learn the wee isn't a dirtbike?

- How could the mud be caught in the chain?
- mud blocking your fender?
- slipping clutch?
- jammed brake calipers?

Troubleshooting:
Can you turn the wheels by hand if the bike's in neutral? Do they turn freely?
If not, then look at the brakes/bearings.

If the wheels turn fine:
Does the engine rev freely or does it hesitate?
Hesitation: look at the plugs/wires.

In gear, does the engine run faster than it should for a given speed?
-> slipping clutch.

It's one of those three, so start troubleshooting.
PS: bikes and high-pressure hoses don't get along at all...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Remove the front sprocket cover and clean all the gunk out, it's interfering with the clutch actuation mechanism.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Check wheel well above front tire. Mine got so bad it locked up. You can keep driving, if it is the problem, you will notice marks on your front tire as the dirt erodes the tread. :p

It's a bitch getting out, especially soft sticky clay.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Under the front fender is packed with mud...it happens to all of us when the trails turn to mud. TouraTech offers an aftermarket front fender for our bikes and is designed to stop clogging. I use my longest flat head screw driver to get the really packed mud out....if you try to just force it to move by driving it, you will cut the tire or at the least you will wear deep grooves into the tire making it kinda unsafe. V-Stroms arent a good bike to put in the mud unless there's klnobbies mounted and the front fender clogging has been addressed.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.