StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oops, correct the title. "Fault Indicator".

On the road finishing up a 6500 mile trip with 560 miles left to go.
Bike threw a FI code with accompanying engine light. Bike still starts and runs fine, but I can't access the odo and trip meters because of the flashing code. Turning bike off then back on doesn't fix it.
Any ideas. Don't have my shop manual with me so can't look it up.
Seems like I remember something about using a paperclip to jumper two of the wires in the code reader port,
but that wouldn't do anything to fix whatever the problem is.
If anyone has any ideas on what this could mean, or could tell me what the shop manual says about it I'd appreciate it!

Thanks.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If it starts and runs while indicating a code you are in limp-home mode which means whatever is wrong should not hurt the bike. There are a number of sensor failures (e.g. intake air temp, pressure, etc) where the ECU just isolates the sensor and assumes an average value so it runs fine but is not optimal. There are some other failures that can cause damage if you continued to run but the ECU would block the bike from starting to protect the motor from damage. There is a table in the manual that explains this. When you get home you can pull the codes and investigate and repair. Good luck!

NB: FI stands for "fault indicator" not "fuel injection".

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it starts and runs while indicating a code you are in limp-home mode which means whatever is wrong should not hurt the bike. There are a number of sensor failures (e.g. intake air temp, pressure, etc) where the ECU just isolates the sensor and assumes an average value so it runs fine but is not optimal. There are some other failures that can cause damage if you continued to run but the ECU would block the bike from starting to protect the motor from damage. There is a table in the manual that explains this. When you get home you can pull the codes and investigate and repair. Good luck!

NB: FI stands for "fault indicator" not "fuel injection".
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oops, I meant to say Fault Indicator. Really, truly. :-O. LOL!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
WVS, under the seat there is a Dealer Mode Connector with a cap on it. Find this connector, it's a 6-pole unit. As you face the open end of the connector with the cap latch on top, use an opened paper clip to jumper the 2 terminals on the right side. Key on, the cluster will display the diagnostic trouble code. Read the code, then report back--I can look uo the code in my Suzuki service manual.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WVS, under the seat there is a Dealer Mode Connector with a cap on it. Find this connector, it's a 6-pole unit. As you face the open end of the connector with the cap latch on top, use an opened paper clip to jumper the 2 terminals on the right side. Key on, the cluster will display the diagnostic trouble code. Read the code, then report back--I can look uo the code in my Suzuki service manual.
I was afraid of that. Did the above and it read c00. Which I'm guessing means no code. So whatever the problem is is probably intermittent? Figures.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
-c00 is for idle position and no codes.

Now it's gone? Probably due to rain in some connector.

There is a thread on page 2 for FI code problems...

Good luck!

Disconnecting the battery for a minute or so will clear codes too. Unless it's a hard failure.

I have a hard wired switch into the tail section. I can reach back and read it on the fly.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
-c00 is for idle position and no codes.

Now it's gone? Probably due to rain in some connector.

There is a thread on page 2 for FI code problems...

Good luck!

Disconnecting the battery for a minute or so will clear codes too. Unless it's a hard failure.

I have a hard wired switch into the tail section. I can reach back and read it on the fly.
It WAS raining really hard. Page 2 where?

thx

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
This page. :wink2:

I'll copy the important stuff.

User Mode (normal running mode)::| if an FI error occurs you will see the "FI" letters displayed in the odometer readout area. If the FI is alternated every 2 seconds with odometer readout & the Red FI lamp on the dash is on solid, the bike will start and run in fail-safe mode. If the odometer readout is FI & the Red FI light lamp is blinking, the bike will not start.

Dealer Mode::| An FI error will be memorized in the ECU when an error is present. This error will stay in the ECU as long as power is not removed from (battery disconnected or ECU unplugged) the ECU and the error has not been cleared. It should be noted, that if an FI error is intermittent, the error code should be checked before the bike is turned off. Carry a spare key & a jumper so the seat can be removed and Dealer Mode entered while bike is still running. As soon as an error is cleared it is removed from ECU memory. You can run the bike as normal when in dealer mode.:| If you are dealing with an intermittent problem, wire it for dealer mode and ride. The code will show when the FI light is on. If the error clears, so will the code.

Dealer Mode Engine connector is under the left side cover behind the seat latch.:| Remove the connector cover to access the connections.:| It has a 6 pin plug with four wires.:| The White/Red & Black/White wires are the ones you will jumper to enable dealer mode.:| In the 6 pin plug they are the ones on the end.

The Dealer Mode ABS connector is located under the left rear fairing next to the ECU. The smaller one with a soft rubber cover is the dealer mode plug.
You need the SDS fancy stuff to retrieve old codes. $$$

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I'm working on a harness to read memory codes plus live data stream with my OBDII automotive scanners. It worked great on a '18 Yamaha. Havent gotten back to the Suzuki yet.

·
Registered
233 Posts
User Mode (normal running mode)::| if an FI error occurs you will see the "FI" letters displayed in the odometer readout area. If the FI is alternated every 2 seconds with odometer readout & the Red FI lamp on the dash is on solid, the bike will start and run in fail-safe mode. If the odometer readout is FI & the Red FI light lamp is blinking, the bike will not start.

Dealer Mode::| An FI error will be memorized in the ECU when an error is present. This error will stay in the ECU as long as power is not removed from (battery disconnected or ECU unplugged) the ECU and the error has not been cleared. It should be noted, that if an FI error is intermittent, the error code should be checked before the bike is turned off. Carry a spare key & a jumper so the seat can be removed and Dealer Mode entered while bike is still running. As soon as an error is cleared it is removed from ECU memory. You can run the bike as normal when in dealer mode.:| If you are dealing with an intermittent problem, wire it for dealer mode and ride. The code will show when the FI light is on. If the error clears, so will the code.

Dealer Mode Engine connector is under the left side cover behind the seat latch.:| Remove the connector cover to access the connections.:| It has a 6 pin plug with four wires.:| The White/Red & Black/White wires are the ones you will jumper to enable dealer mode.:| In the 6 pin plug they are the ones on the end.

The Dealer Mode ABS connector is located under the left rear fairing next to the ECU. The smaller one with a soft rubber cover is the dealer mode plug.

:|

C00 No error

C11 Camshaft Position Sensor (CMPS) - 1000 Only

C12 Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKPS)

C13 Intake Air Pressure Sensor (IAPS)

C14 Throttle Position Sensor

C15 Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (ECTS)

C16 Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit (Front) Malfunction

C17 Intake Air Pressure Sensor (IAPS) - 07 & Up 650 Only

C21 Intake Air Temp. Sensor (IATS)

C22 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor (APS) - 1000 Only

C23 Tip Over Sensor (TOS)

C24 Ignition Signal #1 (Front Coil)

C25 Ignition Signal #2 (Rear Coil)

C26 Ignition System #1 (Side) Malfunction

C27 Ignition System #2 (Side) Malfunction

C28 Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator (STVA)

C29 Secondary Throttle Position Sensor (STPS)

C31 Gear Position Sensor (GPS)

C32 Injector Signal #1 ( Front)

C33 Injector Signal #2 (Rear)

C40 ISC Valve - 07 & Up 650 Only

C41 Fuel Pump Control System (Fuel Pump Relay)

C42 Ignition Switch Signal (Anti-Theft)

C44 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S)

C46 EXCVA Sensor Circuit Malfunction

C49 PAIR Control Solenoid Valve

C60 Cooling fan relay circuit malfunction

C62 EVAP system purge control solenoid valve circuit malfunction

C64 HO2 Sensor #1 Heater Circuit Malfunction

C65 Clutch lever switch issue or Idle speed malfunction (can be caused by any fault that takes the idle speed out of range, TPS faults for example)
1) Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2) Remove the seat.
3) Put the bike in dealer mode
4) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
5) Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
6) Then, wait more than 5 seconds.
The ISC valve automatically is set at the PRE-SET position.
7) Take the bike out of dealer mode.

Idle should be at ~1300rpm again.

C91 Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit (Rear) Malfunction

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,218 Posts
The bike is tired and it's just messing with you. It will be all better when you get home and wash the bike and do an oil change. Maybe new tires too.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bike is tired and it's just messing with you. It will be all better when you get home and wash the bike and do an oil change. Maybe new tires too.
Ha! Actually, since I was closer to the Equator down there maybe it was the Coriolis Effect. This is the same effect that causes me to turn the wrong way out of gas stations the deeper I get south of the border.

Dropped the bike off at the dealer on the way home from my trip to figure this out since it's under warranty. Will update here when I get an answer.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

C00 No error

C11 Camshaft Position Sensor (CMPS) - 1000 Only

C12 Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKPS)

C13 Intake Air Pressure Sensor (IAPS)

C14 Throttle Position Sensor

C15 Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (ECTS)

C16 Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit (Front) Malfunction

C17 Intake Air Pressure Sensor (IAPS) - 07 & Up 650 Only

C21 Intake Air Temp. Sensor (IATS)

C22 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor (APS) - 1000 Only

C23 Tip Over Sensor (TOS)

C24 Ignition Signal #1 (Front Coil)

C25 Ignition Signal #2 (Rear Coil)

C26 Ignition System #1 (Side) Malfunction

C27 Ignition System #2 (Side) Malfunction

C28 Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator (STVA)

C29 Secondary Throttle Position Sensor (STPS)

C31 Gear Position Sensor (GPS)

C32 Injector Signal #1 ( Front)

C33 Injector Signal #2 (Rear)

C40 ISC Valve - 07 & Up 650 Only

C41 Fuel Pump Control System (Fuel Pump Relay)

C42 Ignition Switch Signal (Anti-Theft)

C44 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S)

C46 EXCVA Sensor Circuit Malfunction

C49 PAIR Control Solenoid Valve

C60 Cooling fan relay circuit malfunction

C62 EVAP system purge control solenoid valve circuit malfunction

C64 HO2 Sensor #1 Heater Circuit Malfunction

C65 Clutch lever switch issue or Idle speed malfunction (can be caused by any fault that takes the idle speed out of range, TPS faults for example)
1) Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2) Remove the seat.
3) Put the bike in dealer mode
4) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
5) Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
6) Then, wait more than 5 seconds.
The ISC valve automatically is set at the PRE-SET position.
7) Take the bike out of dealer mode.

Idle should be at ~1300rpm again.

C91 Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit (Rear) Malfunction

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
THANKS!! I also have an intermittent problem with the bike not starting in gear with the clutch (obviously) pulled in and the side stand up. I thought it was solved before when the dealer replaced the clutch switch, but the problem has come back. If the bike ended up throwing a temporary C65, that would sure explain everything! We'll see. Bikes at the dealer now. I'll update forum.

·
Registered
14,218 Posts
"maybe it was the Coriolis Effect."

At the Equator, does the water in the sink know which way to turn or go straight down?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update. Dropped it off at the dealer. The Amber light and FI code (Fault Indicator) went away the last day but I took it in anyway. They were able to pull the code history and it was one of the Fuel Injectors. They checked the voltage to that injector and said it checked good. They are saying it's probably just an anomaly. This particular shop is pretty good, so I'm going to ride it around as much as I can here in the NW winter and see if it comes back or not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts