StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reinstalling my front tire and the axle goes through both sides, but

wont go all the way, so I cant install my calipers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figured it out.

I had the spacer on the wrong side.

BTW........How many removable spacers are there on the front wheel?

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
Yup, them spacers can be a problem. Just got a new back tire and had the proper pieces sitting on the ground on the correct side of the bike.
Best not pop all the parts in a pan and forget what goes where.
Still talked to gawd a bit getting the axle in.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only found one spacer for the front tire.

They may explain the heavy brake drag I'm getting.

Is the definitely 2 spacers for the front tire?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Here are the parts involved.
#3 bearings
#4 seals
#6 spacer on the top only. The #6 spacer on the bottom is wrongly pictured and shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
jccc, did you get this resolved? I just had my front wheel off last week and thought I lost the spacer because there was none on that side of the wheel that I saw. Usually I would hear it fall, which has happened, so I looked in my service manual and there is not a spacer (they call it a collar) on that side of the wheel, the wide end of the axle seals against the bearing within the dust seal. The parts in my diagram are:

#5 collar (1)
#6 dust seal (2)

I would post the diagram but not sure how. I just spun the front wheel and I can hear the pads drag a little but I think this is normal?

I'm heading for a loop around Lake Superior tomorrow so I'm hoping that I didn't create a problem!

·
38,049 Posts
The big end of the axle bottoms on bearing on other models and the parts list says there is only one #6. I think the diagram is wrong.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I only recall one spacer when I changed out my front tire last month. As mentioned, the wide end of the axle seats on the bearings. Some brake drag is normal. With the front end lifted, if you give the wheel a good spin by hand, you'll hear the dragging but it still should be able to make at least several revolutions.

·
Registered
279 Posts
GW you are correct, there is only the spacer on the one side (Clutch side). The enlarged end of the axle on the throttle side rests against the bearing race and serves as the spacer.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GW you are correct, there is only the spacer on the one side (Clutch side). The enlarged end of the axle on the throttle side rests against the bearing race and serves as the spacer.

I think its the other way around.

Either way, I'm still getting way too much drag. I'm going to reassemble everything tomorrow and

see if I can figure out the issue.

·
Super Moderator
16,860 Posts
Most certainly "2" collars or spacers on the 12 and up. The collar is a combination dust cover and spacer on the clutch side, where the throttle side is just a spacer. You can clearly see 2 spacers in that above diagram for the first gen 650's, which is part #6.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took everything apart and reassembled, greased axle and the brakes are still binding.

I maybe get a little over 1 rotation when I spin the wheel.

I don't get it!!!!!!!

Any input would be appreciated.

·
38,049 Posts
That sounds normal to me. Go for a short ride using the rear brake only if you can manage that safely. If the front discs come back cool, you don't have a problem. Disc pads are not withdrawn from the rotors after use. Seal flex and outward contact from rotor high spots take the pressure off. If you haven't ridden a bit after the last brake application, some slight contact will remain.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did as you said. Right front disc was warm to the touch and left front disc was a bit warmer(after a short ride). Neither one of them were cool.

Took about an 80 mile ride and everything seems OK.

·
38,049 Posts
Cool is relative. If you can ride 80 miles and the rotors are not too hot to pinch and hold between thumb and forefinger, I doubt if you have a problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts