StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding in turkey right now. Im riding a 2003 DL1000. We stopped for a sec to ask directions, turned off the bike and when we turned it back on, NOTHING. Turn the key and the dash doesn't do anything. The bike won't start either. The fuses are ok. The battery is full charged. I just had a cracked radiator repaired in Greece. Could a loose connection to the instrument panel cause this? It night now are will attempt to fix in the morning but am really stumped right now. Any suggestions from you people in Stromtrooper world. Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
480 Posts
Side stand all the way up? lockout switch on clutch? Tip over switch under seat? Sounds like one of these to me...

Missed the dash doesn't light up part the first time I read it...humm.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Is this the connection to the dash you're talking about?

In this image its the thing hanging down behind the left turn signal with the black boot over it. Pull back the boot and look for burnt within one of the pins inside the white connector.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
2 quick checks right off the bat--make sure your battery terminals are tight and...look at 30A the fuse in the starter solenoid., it's often overlooked. Next stop is the ignition switch and its connector. An inexpensive 12V testlight will help you find the issue, provided you can use it. You say the battery is fully charged...but has it been checked?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
...I just had a cracked radiator repaired in Greece....
Good advice above. Another place to perhaps check would be the connectors on top of the radiator, but this would entail removing the tank plus the airbox. Take when replacing the airbox, sensors and hoses, as they could cause other problems, if not done correctly.
FWIT, if a test lamp or multimeter not handy, is not available, make your own with a indicator bulb, bulb holder, two longish lengths of insulated wire and a croc-clip to attach to battery terminal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The battery is 12.6 V. All the connections seem good, as are the fuses. I messed with the ignition and got it to power up a couple times, dash and fuel injection. Checked all switches also. Hit the starter button. I got a click and all power went out. I duplicated this four times, but have trouble getting the power on at the switch. ????

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
WANDRR, you can have 12.6v battery voltage...but that doesnt mean the battery has the amperage capacity to operate the electrical system. Likewise, you can charge a battery for however long you like, but if the battery cant accept the charge, cant hold a charge, or cant provide the necessary current capacity, it's all for naught.
It literally all starts with with load-testing the battery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe it is the battery. With a jump I got the bike running. However, it won't run once the jumper is removed. Hopefully just battery. I will test the charging system once the new battery is in.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Good, makes sense.
But for future reference, many times jumping with a good battery wont help if your battery is shorted--the jumper battery's current will loop through your shorted battery and return to the jumper and not operate the motorcycle(or car, whatever).
And age isnt a sure thing when it comes to batteries. "New" doesnt necessarily mean "Good".
When you tested battery voltage as 12.6, had you tested it with the key on or during crank voltage might have dropped well below 10.0V, the lowest acceptable reading under load for a fuel-injected engine. (9.6V is the lowest acceptable reading for carb engines.)

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
I believe it is the battery. With a jump I got the bike running. However, it won't run once the jumper is removed. Hopefully just battery. I will test the charging system once the new battery is in.

Oh.....that could potentially be a burned stator or shifted/broken rotor magnets. The 1000's are so plagued with this issue, hopefully it's just your battery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Helped by a Turkish friend who called out for help me. A Turkish member of the Hells Angels turned up, in a Sunday, with a battery for the bike and checked out the charging system. He had a friend open his bike shop and find a battery for me. All is a go now. Such good people here. Day after day just amazes me more. I went down to the beach after all was fixed for a beer. My wife wanted an apple tea, Turkish thing, and they didn't have any. A few minutes later two sage teas came to the table, as a gift from the owner. Kindness is a way of life.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts