StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

The bolts/screws holding the fuel tank cover and headlight cowl in place (#13 and #14 in the fiche - the headlight cowling screw is the same as #13 I think).

OEM Parts

They are listed as "screw 5x13" and "bolt 6x8" respectively. Am I correct in assuming that the bolt #14 is a standard metric M6-1 that is 8mm long, and that the screw #13 is not a standard metric thread bolt size (hence it is a screw)?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Search is my friend, I guess. Looks like #13 is an M5x13mm buttonhead bolt.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
#14 is an M6x1.0 bolt, 8mm long in the shank. #13 is a shouldered screw as the shoulder takes it out of the definition of a bolt. It is an M5x0.8, 13mm long in the shank including the 3mm deep shoulder that is 8mm in diameter.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks GW. Sorry about that Satch - I wrote a bunch of stuff that was itself rendered meaningless once I realized that I was reading the fiche backwards!

:headbang:

For context, I originally thought that the forward-most bolt was the M6, which would have given it the potential to mount RAM stuff from. But in reality the M6 is at the back of the fairing piece underneath the seat, and the usefully exposed one is the more unusual M5-13, which doesn't help me at all.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks for the idea. Those Hawk mounts are a bit overkill for my intended usage, but its specs and assembly instructions are super useful. I think I might be able to fab something up. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
There are four critically important specs for a threaded fastener.
...Diameter
...Length of the shank
...Pitch of the threads (millimeters per thread or threads per inch)
...Material..type of metal and the strength rating

1 - 8 of 8 Posts