StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 DL650XT. Hooked up Adventure Tech aux lighting and an Admore Light Bar. The Admore worked perfectly, so then I installed the ADV Tech aux lights. After I did that, the bike's OEM brake light is constantly hot/on. Disconnected the Admore and still have the problem, the disconnected the aux lighting and still have the problem. Cycled the rear and front brakes several times aggressively and that didn't fix the problem. How could installing the Adventure Tech lighting, or anything else, cause this to happen?

Any suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
99 times out of 100 it is the rear brake light switch needs adjusting.

The pedal is pulling on the switch, unhook the spring at the switch as a quick test.

If it is the switch you need to lower the switch to get more slack in the spring.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
99 times out of 100 it is the rear brake light switch needs adjusting.

The pedal is pulling on the switch, unhook the spring at the switch as a quick test.

If it is the switch you need to lower the switch to get more slack in the spring.
That was it!!!!!!!! I put on lowered foot pegs and lowered the rear brake pedal all the way to match. It never occurred to me that lowering the brake pedal would activate the switch. Poor design I guess.
Anyway, thanks so much!! May you be bestowed wealth and happiness throughout your days!! :laugh2::laugh2:

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
Not really a bad design, to my knowledge it's pretty much the only design on motorcycles for rear brakes. Glad it's figured out, this forum is a great resource!

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
Well, it is a Male dominated hobby. What are these instructions you speak of?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not really a bad design, to my knowledge it's pretty much the only design on motorcycles for rear brakes. Glad it's figured out, this forum is a great resource!
Ya, just think that adjusting a rear brake pedal to its lowest position shouldn't activate the switch. However, I should have put 2+2 together.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bullseye. But hey, blokes only read the instructions as a last resort.
Um... What instructions. The one's that say: "If you adjust the rear pedal all the way down, the brake switch will be activated even though it's not supposed to be." :-O

·
Vendor
4,711 Posts
Happy you got it without too much trouble.

Nope the part of the video that says to check to make sure the brake light works properly after assembling and how to adjust it if necessary, but most importantly possibly the instruction to not move the jam nut above the clevis so that adjustment will not be needed.

I have been surprised a few times at owners installing this kit without reading the instructions or watching the video. Some can do it without any questions, but usually it results in a phone call with a question or two. Nothing that can't be resolved, easily ... but for future installers reading this thread, it's best to watch the video on our website for the fastest easiest installation with minimal head scratching.

Footpeg and Control Lowering Instructions - AdventureTech, LLC.

and another for the gear shift relocation kit that is an outgrowth of the footpeg and control lowering kit.

Gear Shift Relocation Instructions - AdventureTech, LLC.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Happy you got it without too much trouble.

Nope the part of the video that says to check to make sure the brake light works properly after assembling and how to adjust it if necessary, but most importantly possibly the instruction to not move the jam nut above the clevis so that adjustment will not be needed.

I have been surprised a few times at owners installing this kit without reading the instructions or watching the video. Some can do it without any questions, but usually it results in a phone call with a question or two. Nothing that can't be resolved, easily ... but for future installers reading this thread, it's best to watch the video on our website for the fastest easiest installation with minimal head scratching.

Footpeg and Control Lowering Instructions - AdventureTech, LLC.

and another for the gear shift relocation kit that is an outgrowth of the footpeg and control lowering kit.

Gear Shift Relocation Instructions - AdventureTech, LLC.
Didn't get ADV Tech's foot peg, got the SW Motech foot pegs. Written instructions with no mention of brake pedal relocation. BTW, I installed ADV Tech's lightbar and harness. A couple things came up that aren't in his schematic and video, so will pass along here if anyone is planning on installing these. I emailed ADV Tech the details. They work fine BTW.

·
Vendor
4,711 Posts
Well that explains it. lower foot pegs alone leave that awkward reach to the controls and you were trying to compensate by adjusting the controls. That awkward reach is why I came up with the peg and control lowering kit. That and the constant pestering from from the community to come up with a fix. Ah the good old days. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Didn't get ADV Tech's foot peg, got the SW Motech foot pegs. Written instructions with no mention of brake pedal relocation. BTW, I installed ADV Tech's lightbar and harness. A couple things came up that aren't in his schematic and video, so will pass along here if anyone is panning on installing these. I emailed ADV Tech the details. They work fine BTW.
Didn't realize you were at ADV Tech. Please see my email. Really like your GPS mount BTW. Also like the fender risers, although would have like to see them a bit higher, but guess that would require a longer R to L brake line. There's never a simple solution. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
Didn't realize you were at ADV Tech. Please see my email. Really like your GPS mount BTW. Also like the fender risers, although would have like to see them a bit higher, but guess that would require a longer R to L brake line. There's never a simple solution. :)
Rick.....IS.....Adventuretech. :wink2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts