StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. My 2007 Vee is having intermittent problem with not wanting to shut off with the key. It will stay runnin for about 10 seconds before dash and lights fade then dies. If i use the kill swith it will turn off immediately.
It doesnt do it all the time. It started acting up 2 weeks ago on my trip to colorado, and again today while on a 20 min lunch ride.
The bike has a PC3 , dual headlight relay kit similar to eastern beaver. Led fog lights on a switched relay.
I was thinking somthing may be backfeeding from the relays but im not sure. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Yeek! :surprise:

The only advice that comes to mind is to retrace the steps of installing the relay systems, or go back to stock. In that process, you may find the problem (for example, it would be a Very Bad Idea to activate the relays with the circuit that feeds the fuel pump -- much better to use the tail light circuit).

Perhaps one of the relays is getting stuck, which might explain the delay.

And of course, the whole thing could be due to wires that have chafed somewhere, leading to circuits being connected that shouldn't be connected. This is also a grand way to start a fire...

In other words, sort this out ASAP and PDQ. It could get a lot worse than slightly inconvenient...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeek! :surprise:

The only advice that comes to mind is to retrace the steps of installing the relay systems, or go back to stock. In that process, you may find the problem (for example, it would be a Very Bad Idea to activate the relays with the circuit that feeds the fuel pump -- much better to use the tail light circuit).

Perhaps one of the relays is getting stuck, which might explain the delay.

And of course, the whole thing could be due to wires that have chafed somewhere, leading to circuits being connected that shouldn't be connected. This is also a grand way to start a fire...

In other words, sort this out ASAP and PDQ. It could get a lot worse than slightly inconvenient...
Thanks for the advice. After work ill put it in my shop and start running down wires and checking relays. If it still does it i will remove headlight harness and try again with factory. Anything else?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 2012 DL1000 PCV, Staintune pipes. When it is hot, like 90-100 out and I have been riding for some time with 3-4 bars on the dash, the bike will diesel for about 5 seconds if turned off with the key. It has done this for a couple years now and I'm not too sure what is going on either.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2012 DL1000 PCV, Staintune pipes. When it is hot, like 90-100 out and I have been riding for some time with 3-4 bars on the dash, the bike will diesel for about 5 seconds if turned off with the key. It has done this for a couple years now and I'm not too sure what is going on either.
This sounds just like what mine is doing. Does your dash stay lit while its dieing?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Hey. My 2007 Vee is having intermittent problem with not wanting to shut off with the key. It will stay runnin for about 10 seconds before dash and lights fade then dies. If i use the kill swith it will turn off immediately.
It doesnt do it all the time. It started acting up 2 weeks ago on my trip to colorado, and again today while on a 20 min lunch ride.
The bike has a PC3 , dual headlight relay kit similar to eastern beaver. Led fog lights on a switched relay.
I was thinking somthing may be backfeeding from the relays but im not sure. Any ideas? Thanks.
As your kill switch works, I would assume the problem lies in the ignition switch itself. Have you tried jiggling the key around when the problem occurs ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As your kill switch works, I would assume the problem lies in the ignition switch itself. Have you tried jiggling the key around when the problem occurs ?
Hmm. Thats an interesting thought. Ill try that after work. Might be time for a ignitiin inspection.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have not tried moving the key around but will also give it a shot. My dash lights do slowly fade until off, and it only happens when hot. Now, if I stop and let the bike idle for 20-30 seconds before turning off, no diesel. Kill switch works as it should.

I figure that it is the bikes way of telling me that it's not ready to stop riding yet.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Check to see if the fan is on. If it is spinning, the motor can feed power back into the wiring as turning the power off turns it from a motor into a generator.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check to see if the fan is on. If it is spinning, the motor can feed power back into the wiring as turning the power off turns it from a motor into a generator.
Thanks Greywolf. I d9 remember the fan was running the last couple times it has happend. It also makes alot of sense, seeing how it only realy happens when the bike is hot.

If this is the problem. What would the remedy be? Kill switch always? Reroute fan wires to new relay? Thanks

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I was thinking of that also as it's been known to power some of the low draw electronics, but could it assumably power the spark and fueling components for 5-10 seconds as well?

·
38,047 Posts
Whatever works for you is fine. Nothing will stay on for long.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. So when i got home from work, the bike was not hot enough for fans when i shut it off. Bike shut off as normal.
I then restarted and let run idle for a bit till the fan kicked on. Once fan kicked on i shut it off and problem was there again. After letting bike cool down,i restarted and idled for a sec. No fan on, so I shut off the bike with the key and problem was gone.

I checked all my wiring to my i stalled stuff and all seems fine. Im gonna venture to say that Greywolf hit the nail on the head with this one. Thank you everyone for the advise and troubleshooting ideas. I guess for now on ill use the Kill switch then the key. Thanks Greywolf.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Does your bike seem to run hot a lot? you might want to look at your coolant levels and your rad cap for leaks, also be sure your oil is topped up, if you are low on oil the bike runs hotter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does your bike seem to run hot a lot? you might want to look at your coolant levels and your rad cap for leaks, also be sure your oil is topped up, if you are low on oil the bike runs hotter.
My bike usualy runs 3 bars unless im sitting in traffic on a hot day, then it will show 4 bars till i start moving again. I rechecked my coolant and it is full in both the radiator and overflow. I put a new rad cap on 3 weeks ago and a fresh oil change, so im thinking its good in those areas. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I'd probably never notice a bad key switch, I usually kill the bike with the side stand or dump the clutch..
Interesting problem though.

·
38,047 Posts
You'd definitely notice a bad ignition switch. It handles the lights and ancillary electrics as well as the engine.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
That is seriously freaky.

Perhaps adding a diode might be a good idea?

·
Registered
817 Posts
better name her christine. :wink2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts