Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long Oval Helmet?

My Arai Profile is just about ready for retirement so I am in the market for a new lid.

Anyone have recommendations? I need an intermediate to long oval shape.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely a good resource. I looked at that before posting here and found that several of the helmets on that list are no longer in production and there are new models availae as well.

It seems like there are different recommendations depending on where you look for info so I thought I'd post here and see if I could get feedback from others who have a long oval shape themselves.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take a look at the Scorpion line...I have a long oval head also and the EXO 700 (now discontinued) fits nicely. The entire line seems to be designed for the narrow headed (no, I didn't say narrow minded.
my wife has a Scorpion but I've never tried them. It's crazy how many "new" models and discontinued models there are. Good to know that the new helmets favor our less round heads!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Take a look at the Scorpion line...I have a long oval head also and the EXO 700 (now discontinued) fits nicely. The entire line seems to be designed for the narrow head.]
I found that out the hard way. Good helmet, but it squeezed the sides of my round head like crazy, while I could place my fingers into the forehead area. Only found wBr site later.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Some items that might help your search...

1.) I have a 23" circumference head and have a size Large Shoei Multitec, and a size Large Arai Profile.

2.) The Shoei fits me like throwing an empty bushel basket over a fence post.
Conversely, the Arai fits me like a glove. Very secure, reassuring, confidence inspiring.

3.) When trying on full helmets, be sure to try them on with the cheek pads removed.
Once you find a helmet with a good general head fit, then start adding in cheek pads to fine tune the fit to perfection.

4.) It seems people with pumpkin heads have a lot more to choose from than us football heads.

Also, if you're interested in a built-in sun visor helmet, be aware of the new Pro Shade system as a lighter (safer?) alternative to helmets with built-in sun visors. Arai Pro Shade System - RevZilla

Happy hunting! :cheers2:
-Ej-

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
+1 for the Arai Signet-Q. Sizing seems goofy. I wear an XL in everything else from hats to ski helmets, usually a 7-5/8 or 7-3/4 hat, and the Signet-Q medium fits me just right. Measure around your head.
Arai Helmets Size Chart - RevZilla

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I've also found that fit varies wildly and unpredictably with sizing.

In other words, the magazines and review sites all test the size M or L. Those of us with XL or XXL (or beyond) noggins are pretty much on our own. The "narrow" list at Webbikeworld turns into a work of speculative fiction when you add an X or two to the size.

The Icon Airmada, for example, is a very damn nice helmet, and is supposed to have a long-oval shape. However, the larger sizes (XXL and XXXL) don't have the same shape and aren't even much bigger. (I'm usually an Xl or XXL, and I could barely pull the XXXL Airmada onto my head, and the crown shape was the same ol' perfect circle anyway...) Same with Nexx, Scorpion, and many others. HJC changed to a much rounder shape a few years back, so they're dead to me...

Arai seems to be the only helmet maker that offers consistency in fit and a true long oval in all sizes. However, most of us don't have $600 - $800 to spend on a freaking helmet.

I'm currently wearing an XXL Shoei Qwest -- it's not perfect, but it's very, very good.

The only lesson in all of this is perhaps that you have to go try them on in person. Support your local moto shop. :thumbup:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only lesson in all of this is perhaps that you have to go try them on in person. Support your local moto shop. :thumbup:
I'll definitely be doing that. Problem is that I'll be making the rounds to several shops to try all the helmets I want - maybe I can do that at the moto show in Feb though.

My current Arai Profile is a medium so I'm not having to deal with the challenge you note on the bigger sizes. I've never had a helmet that fits like the Profile but I'm not ready to spend another $500+ on a helmet if I don't have to...

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Yep, the winter motorcycle show is pretty much the best place to try on every helmet around without feeling guilty. I usually go to the one in Chicago every February, and there are always phenomenal deals on helmets.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
This is a timely thread. My old Arai Profile is getting long in the tooth and maybe due for replacement, if for no other reason that that various stick-on doodads on it are starting to give out. One of the top intake vents' detents is shot, so I have a bit of tape holding it open (or closed). The other one got knocked right off the helmet when I dropped it. Also feel like it's generally not fitting as snugly as it once did, which is an issue at speed on my new bike which has much less wind protection.

It would be nice if I could find a good alternative to the Profile/Signet without having to spend $500+ again. I'll take a look at the big new year bike show in Mississauga - maybe someone will have solid colour Signets at a reasonable price.

Actually, leaving venting for warm weather aside, nothing can beat my original Signet/s (no vents on top) for comfort - the comfort liner on the newer ones is not as comfortable, due to having to leave space for air to circulate. I'm willing to live with a slightly less comfortable liner in exchange for ventilation, though. The heat didn't seem to bother me quite as much when I was 30, but now at 47 I'm all about the comfort.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Scorpion was too round for me, but Signet-Q fit just right. Ya gott'a try them on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The heat didn't seem to bother me quite as much when I was 30, but now at 47 I'm all about the comfort.
I agree and would add that helmet noise is a factor too. I always wear earplugs but want the quietest helmet I can get - The Arai's seem pretty good in that department.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the Icon Airmada Chantilly in black and it is a nice helmet. $220 out the door with my discount. I had to get a size up to an XL because the Icons seem to run small compared to other helmets. The Bell RS-1 looks like a nice helmet also but I have never tried one. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I fit into a large Bell RS1 nicely, and I am an old Arai and Bell helmet wearer.

Used to wear a Bell star, and had a couple of Arai-s way back and I have an oval head.

I am very pleased with the helmet and they have a selection of cheek pad sizes if you need them.

They are worth a try, if you get a chance.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Long oval head here. Arai Signet-Q is the best fitting (and most expensive) helmet I've ever owned.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

FWIW, Shoei GT-Air wasn't bad either...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts