StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to replace my 10 year old Shark full face helmet. I have narrowed it down to the HJC Rpha max and the Nolan N-104. I have not been able to try one on and will not be able to as no one here carries them. I did get to try the HJC full face version and that was very nice!

I have read the threads on the forum but have not come across any newer threads. Anyone have any input on these two helmets to see how they ride on the newer Strom? Anyone actually worn both of them? I also really really like the Shoei Neotec but I think it is out of my budget.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Matthew

You don't say what model Shark, but be aware that Shark RSI and Arai Profile (not sure the new models that have replaced these) are some of the few very narrow helmets that fit people on the long tail of the headshape curve, like me. If you are going from either of these to another brand/model you will really want to try it on first.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cycle Gear's Bilt modular helmet is a lot of helmet for the money.
I am not familiar with Bilt helmets. Do you know by chance what shape head they fit? The closest Cycle Gear is 1.5 hours away. Might have to make a trip and try on.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matthew

You don't say what model Shark, but be aware that Shark RSI and Arai Profile (not sure the new models that have replaced these) are some of the few very narrow helmets that fit people on the long tail of the headshape curve, like me. If you are going from either of these to another brand/model you will really want to try it on first.
I too have the narrow head. The Shoei Neotec fits wonderful! I also had the Arai Signet which was a great helmet! Narrow as well. I was told the Nolan N 104 and HJC are for narrow or slightly narrow heads. Which is what I need, somewhere around there. My Shark was the RSX I believe. Not as narrow but it was a great helmet!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
859 Posts
For my bulbous head (7 3/8 inch) the HJC FS-10 fits very comfortably. I found the Nolan to be very uncomfortable. Bell fits my head as well as many Shoei types but not willing to spend $800 on a helmet. I would try on as many as you can. Weight of the helmet is an issue with me as much as aerodynamics and wind noise.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have any way to try on the Nolan or HJC. Might have to use Revzillas awesome return policy in this case! I do know that I am in the slightly narrow to narrow sizing category. The Neotec fits amazing! My Aria Signet - narrow - fits awesome. I was told the Nolan and HJC fit those categories as well. I did try on the HJC full face version and it is very comfortable. I think I may be leaning towards the HJC but was looking for anyone with real world experience.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I am not familiar with Bilt helmets. Do you know by chance what shape head they fit? The closest Cycle Gear is 1.5 hours away. Might have to make a trip and try on.
The Cycle Gear store near my home stocks many brands in addition to their Bilt brand. It is a great place to try on different helmets. You can see the models/brands they stock online.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got a Nolan N104 and it is for a slightly narrow to narrow head shape. It also surprisingly works well on my Glee with the stock windshield but a MRA deflector with virtually no helmet buffeting and minimal wind noise. Using the same helmet I tried several windshields and positions and never could get the wind noise to an acceptable level on my Moto Guzzi Stelvio. Use to think the N104 was just a noisy helmet, but on my Glee with the MRA is works terrific.

The visibility in the Nolan N104 is great with the large eyeport opening, the retractable sun visor, and the easy to use ratchet strap fastener instead of D rings, and the quality of finish for the price make it a very good value - IF it fits your head!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a slightly narrow head as well and a Nolan n-104 fits better than anything I have tried. it is also very quiet for a modular. I love mine.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Vega is also a lot of helmet for the money.

In any case, you've got to try the helmets on to find the one that fits your head shape. The head needs to fit snugly in the EPS shock absorbing liner. When you whack the pavement that liner needs to absorb the shock and protect your head. If your head has gaps between it and the liner, your head will slam the inside of the liner and you don't get the protection you need.

Some mail order outfits are very good about returns. Be sure the returned helmet has all the original packaging and is perfectly clean--it has to be in good enough condition to sell to another customer--if you want your money back or an exchange.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No one local to me carries these helmets. I am going to go to cycle gear next week and if they do not have in stock I'm going to order the nolan online.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Neotec is the highest quality, quietest helmet I've ever owned.

I have tried on the neotec and it felt amazing as soon as I put it on. But not really want to pay that much at this time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
AFX

I have an AFX FX-39 that works great for street and dual purpose riding. I prefer it to my more expensive Shoei helmets. It's comfortable, cheap, almost no buffeting, the fit and finish are great, and it has a quick release chin strap. The only downside is it's kind of noisy and it the visor catches the wind at high speed (I take mine off for pure street riding).

·
Administrator
16,947 Posts
I have tried on the neotec and it felt amazing as soon as I put it on. But not really want to pay that much at this time.
Get what you pay for with Shoei, otherwise just be sure whatever you end up buying "fits" properly regardless of price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Gmax G54S is inexpensive but not cheaply made. Revzilla, Competition Accessories, Jafrum, and other websites carry them. Bought my first one 2 years ago after reading an article in Rider Magazine. $130 range w/ free shipping. 5-6 solid colors and some graphics. New is the Hi-Viz model. If I hadn't bought a white one last year I'd buy the Hi-Viz.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts