StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about the Nolan N90 and wondered if anybody's tried one yet or had good luck with Nolan's other brands.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I recently received a free N102 helmet. My head is quite large and very long. Awkward since I am a small guy. Anyways, I didn't think the shape of the Nolan would work for me. The helmet was free and so I gave it a try. I'll be dipped, it is actually a comfortable and damn nice shell. It runs a bit close to my chin but otherwise it is good. It fends off fog relatively well. Both the modular chin section and face shield open and close easily and securely.

My other (purchased) helmet is an HJC CL15 (going off memory here for model). The Nolan is certainly a quieter helmet, but both are no problem with ear plugs.

The standard double D-ring closure of the HJC takes more time to take on/off. Nolan's closure system is fast and secure. Personally, the typical D-ring closure is more comfortable for me than the more bulky quick-closure systems out there. They are wider and end up pushing more on one's adams apple.

The venting is quite superior on the Nolan compared to the el-cheapo HJC. With shield closed and moving down the road I can actually feel the air move above my head in the N102. I haven't experienced that with the CL15.

Is the Nolan worth the extra $$$? That I'll leave to the buyer. I can say that I haven't put on the HJC since the Nolan landed on my personal helmet rack.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Summary--Outstanding quality, relatively quiet, comfortable and with a few interesting safety/convenience features, the Nolan N90 is the flip-up to beat.

The N90 has a fairly neutral internal shape that tends just towards round, so it should be a comfortable fit for most riders. I find it very comfortable and the usual cast of round-heads who have tried it agree.

Conclusion -- The bottom line is that the Nolan N90 is a sure winner and it's become my favorite flip-up. It feels solid, it's beautifully finished, it has a few extra touches that belie its lower cost, it looks good and it's comfortable. The aggressive pricing structure and the five year guarantee are icing on the cake.

Nolan N90 Review - webBikeworld

·
Registered
211 Posts
I used an N100 (flip) for a couple of years. It was well made and the only thing that kept me from getting another Nolan was my desire to try other brands/styles.

Personally, I really like the "microlock" chin strap... some people don't. Other than that (and, obviously, the fact that it's a flip) I don't see much room for controversy...good helmets.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
I currently use the 102 and overall really like it. When I heard that the 90 was coming out it made it on my short list for a replacement.

After reading the review at WebBikeWorld it seems that Nolan addressed most of my nits. Primarily weight, noise and moving the sun visor from the outside to the inside.

Based on the 102 I would recommend giving the 90 a very close look.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and pulled the trigger today. Got one from cyclehead on e-bay for $222. He has a few more in the color I liked but also a variety of colors.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Cool! Make sure you post back with a review and let us know what you think.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just got my N90 last week. I'm very pleased with it. Prior helmet was an HJC Symax 1. Fit and finish on the N90 is very good, they seem to run true to size, the liner is soft, but thin. Face shield and sun shield are outstanding. Quieter then my old HJC, ventilation superior. Got it in Artic Grey which is a good match for my silver 09 abs wee. Overall very comfortable.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got my N90 last week. I'm very pleased with it. Prior helmet was an HJC Symax 1. Fit and finish on the N90 is very good, they seem to run true to size, the liner is soft, but thin. Face shield and sun shield are outstanding. Quieter then my old HJC, ventilation superior. Got it in Artic Grey which is a good match for my silver 09 abs wee. Overall very comfortable.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Hec, Does the sunscreen gap on the bottom bother you at all?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hec, Does the sunscreen gap on the bottom bother you at all?
Not at all. The sunscreen goes down pretty far, further than I expected and much lower than sunglasses. Coverage is good and it doesn't hit my nose, which is a miracle. Tried and returned a Scorpion EXO 900 (didn't fit well) and the Scorpion's sun visor rested on the tip of my nose.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
FWIW, I love my Nolan N43 Trilogy. It's one of those six-way transformers helmets and the face shield is huge, like having no shield at all.

Mike

·
Registered
107 Posts
N90 Photos Part 1

Here are some photos of my N90. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks, the photos came out nice. Had to send one to the wife, since the helmet is one of my birthday gifts from her.

Yes, this is Arctic Grey, and is a close match to the '09's silver. As you can tell in the photo, the helmet is a bit lighter when viewed under bright lights. In the shade, it looks a lot closer to the Suzuki color.

Hope you enjoy your helmet when it comes in. Are you planning on gettting the N-Com system? I still haven't decided.

Nice clear photos Hec! Is that the Arctic grey? Great color.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am glad that you are enjoying you n90. I have been wearing the n103 with ncom bluetooth. It has been great, although I would not call it a quiet ride. The ncom provides seamless connectivity through my iPhone/iPad. Great stereo sound. Up to around 60 mph it is just fine. Any faster and you will have volume issues. If you wear earplugs then you will not be able to hear anything after 70 mph.
What are the differences between the n103 an n90?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, the photos came out nice. Had to send one to the wife, since the helmet is one of my birthday gifts from her.

Yes, this is Arctic Grey, and is a close match to the '09's silver. As you can tell in the photo, the helmet is a bit lighter when viewed under bright lights. In the shade, it looks a lot closer to the Suzuki color.

Hope you enjoy your helmet when it comes in. Are you planning on gettting the N-Com system? I still haven't decided.
I've decided on the Sena SMH10. Great reviews on webBikeWorld but it was a tough decision as it just edged out the Scala G-4 which has some good features too. I'm looking forward to a flip up helmet that will go on without taking my glasses on and off, and no wires for music, phone and gps.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the info. Hows the battery life? Can you ride all day without worrying the battery is going dead?

I am glad that you are enjoying you n90. I have been wearing the n103 with ncom bluetooth. It has been great, although I would not call it a quiet ride. The ncom provides seamless connectivity through my iPhone/iPad. Great stereo sound. Up to around 60 mph it is just fine. Any faster and you will have volume issues. If you wear earplugs then you will not be able to hear anything after 70 mph.
What are the differences between the n103 an n90?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I bought an N102 at Bike Week and used it until last Friday, when I managed to break it.

Lucked out and got a closeout deal at Dennis Kirk; got the same model for $260.

I've had Shoei and others, this is by far my favorite. Super easy to remove and wash the liner, love the micro-clasp strap, good shape for my head. And my kid says I look like a Power Ranger when I wear it. That's cool.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts