StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Big question. What kind of riding do you do? Revzilla has some great guides and video reviews of different helmets.

My Arai Signet-q is fine as long as I am moving.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was just down there last week and can say that my Shoe RF1200 wasn't bad. If I was acclimated a bit more it would have probably been ok.

I would look for something extremely light and with a ton of vents. Unfortunately light usually means expensive. Lots of padding can be hot as well so look for something moisture wicking and cool.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Dual sport helmets flow a lot more air and the chin bar is well away from your face. Down side is they are noisy generally. Up side is you can get them for not much coin compared to street/race helmets.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's a balancing act; quiet = hot, while cool = noisy (generally, unless you pay$$$)

Fit is probably most important for comfort and safety. I have an HJC that I modified the interior foam for a bit more air. :grin2:

·
Read Only
222 Posts
Kabuto

I have a Kabuto Aeroblade 3 and find it to be the best ventilated full face helmet that I have owned. It is the quietest also and is reasonably light in weight for a full face. It wasn't too expensive either, it is a composite construction. I have worn it on a few 35C days and was happy with it's performance. Good hunting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am still reading, I have it narrowed down to the Nolan N104 and the GMax 54S. I am from Florida, but live in the desert SW, no humidity but way more heat. I am looking at silver and Hi-Vis colors, but I can have it wrapped with a lighter color or reflective film. Washable liners are important features, as it may be arid here, you still seat like crazy.

·
Registered
254 Posts
G-Max 54S - Comments

I am on my 4th or 5th G-Max 54S.
Why so many? The front foam and liner is not real durable.
I keep buying them because of fit.
For me, they fit like no other helmet.
I love the light on the helmet back and use it routinely.
They are a noisy helmet.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Big question. What kind of riding do you do? .
Great question that you need to answer first. If you're mostly commuting in heavy traffic, a flip up might be your best answer. If you're blazing up and down 95, a quiet helmet is going to be more important.

While good air flow thru the helmet is important, IMO, your body has a LOT more space to cover with a good flow thru jacket.

As long as you're moving, the summer heat/humidity is not that bad. As soon as you stop, you're drenched with sweat. I used to commute on Rt 1 from Palm Bay to Patrick AFB every friggin day for 3+ years. Cagers SUCK!!

·
Read Only
222 Posts
Kabuto 2

I had a Nolan flip helmet before my Kabuto , chalk and cheese. Loved the Nolan till I got my Kabuto, both are good if you wear glasses. The Nolan used to give me a sweaty forehead,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Airoh Commander carbon...A real 2-2.5 pound adventure helmet,flows crazy air, and not 3.5-4.5 pounds like most.When i ordered my Airoh Aviator,it arrived with a 900 gram sticker on it.Lightest helmet I have ever worn,and will never buy another 3 pound helmet again.The lack of neck strain and benefit of not compressing the cervical, anymore than it needs to be form carrying my fat head,is worth it.

I would look into to Suomy and Airoh for high Air Flow and Low weight.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Modular helmet would be a good choice for the hot Florida weather ... last summer I bought HJC IS-Max 2 which I wore whole summer, great comfort and fantastic airflow.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I guess another question to ask might be price point. What'cha got to spend on a lid because I could recommend a helmet that's perfect for $1500 but it doesn't make sense if you are on a $150 budget.

·
Registered
307 Posts
One other thing I'll mention...you REALLY should go to a shop (or Bike Week) and try on a LOT of helmets. Not all helmets are shaped the same. I have a Shoei head. Arai is absolutely NOT comfortable for me.

If you buy the wrong helmet, you'll hate it!!

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Here are two low-cost modifications that I employ and appreciate.

1. Take a dryer-sheet or two and insert same into the dome of your helmet somehow.
Your scalp may smell like a flower or a brothel after this, but it will not smell like a pig.

2. If the costly instruments on your dashboard have become illegible, get a pair of reading glasses,
extract the lenses and discard the frames, then drill four holes near the horizontal extremities of the

lenses, then drill six little holes in your face-shield, below your usual line of vision, and use three
pieces of wire to put the lenses INSIDE the facemask. I did this a few years ago, when I was only 75,
and begorrah! those blurry circles and shapes tell me stuff, like how fast I am going and approximately
how much fuel I have ... and the time! Welcome news!

If the lenses are not true ellipses, put the wider edges toward the middle,
because you will not be sticking your nose between the lenses.

Good luck,
Keith

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
If you ask a seller of helmets, "Do people like this $79 helmet?" and the reply is, "Well, if ya got a $79 head,
then I guess a $79 helmet would be adequate.", that seller does not see your face, nor your shoes, nor any
part of you except your wallet, so buy your helmet elsewhere.

Been there, didn't do that, left forever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts