StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used or seen a Stryker Helmet Quick Release Buckle before?

I have used AGV helmets for years and love the ratcheting buckles they use, but my recent purchase of a AGV K4 does not use one. So I thought about using a Stryker QD buckle but am unsure of thier quality.

·
Registered
248 Posts
AGV helmet strap

I bought an AGV BLADE 1/2 face:

http://www.amazon.com/AGV-Blade-Multi-Helmet-X-Large/dp/B002ARXI7S

which has those ratchets. The setup on the BLADE is nice because you can adjust the strap length as well, so it fits a variety of head sizes, or with a hat/hood,warmer etc. Feels safe and secure as well. Pull the little red tab to release
k

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
I had a friend many years ago that put a qr on his helmet...when he was hit by the van the qr failed, his helmet came off and he died from the head injuries....Your head, your choice..

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Here is one example of a very safe helmet with a quick release buckle:
SHARP Helmets - AGV S-4

I don't know how to find the reliable quick release buckles from the unreliable ones.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Is it really that hard to buckle your helmet? I mean what, 5 seconds? I for one would never sacrifice safety for 5 seconds every once and again.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Is it really that hard to buckle your helmet? I mean what, 5 seconds? I for one would never sacrifice safety for 5 seconds every once and again.
+1. Can't imagine introducing a failure point for absolutely no reason.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm not against quick release mechanisms, but I tried the echo and didn't really care for it. For me it was always a little awkward to use. When it started snagging the high collar on my heated liner I removed it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

I have used AGV helmets for years and love the ratcheting buckles they use, but my recent purchase of a AGV K4 does not use one. So I thought about using a Stryker QD buckle but am unsure of thier quality.
I have a release that looks a lot like that on my Dual-Sport Helmet I bought last summer and love it. For winter, I wear a HJC Flip-Face Helmet which doesn't have the release. My first thought on seeing your post was that I might be interested in trying the Stryker release. Just am not sure. The release on my summer helmet has been tested with the quick-release on it, my HJC has not. The point that was made of adding another possible point of failure had me thinking, not sure it is worth it for a little easier access.

·
Premium Member
4,689 Posts
I'm not against quick release mechanisms, but I tried the echo and didn't really care for it. For me it was always a little awkward to use. When it started snagging the high collar on my heated liner I removed it.
Same here, tried the Echo and just didn't care for it. No problems with the collar but sometimes the beard got caught, not good. :censored:

Buckling the helmet just isn't that hard, so went back to the original method.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Nolan

Not to start yet another helmet debate, but my Nolan n103 flip came standard with a ratchet connection. As others have stated, it only takes 5 seconds to fasten a traditional helmet strap, but the ratchet system lets you fasten or loosten the helmet wearing gloves. It's not why I bought the helmet, but it is convenient.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Not to start yet another helmet debate, but my Nolan n103 flip came standard with a ratchet connection. As others have stated, it only takes 5 seconds to fasten a traditional helmet strap, but the ratchet system lets you fasten or loosten the helmet wearing gloves. It's not why I bought the helmet, but it is convenient.
I was just going to say the same thing... It's like a lot of things, once you've used an improved system, it's hard to go back to what used to be perfectly fine.

Nolan X-Lite X-1002 Helmet - webBikeWorld

Attachments

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I brought one of those that has the plastic male holding clip and the metal female double blade thingy that slips in there and clicks / latches. What a pain to use. You have to get them lined up j-u-s-t right or one blade / side goes in like it should and the other easly slips above / belove the the male plastic thingy and it's there until you unlash the entire deal, you can't get the helmet off, what a pain. MC Consumer mag said they were great. Yea right! My G/F got one and she has the same problem. If you buy one, start carring a mirror.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I had a friend many years ago that put a qr on his helmet...when he was hit by the van the qr failed, his helmet came off and he died from the head injuries....Your head, your choice..
I have a riding buddy not that long ago that was hit by a Toyota Tocoma and he had a quick release device. His helmet did not come off and he died. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous.

I have a quick release device of one type or another on every one of my helmets. My head, my choice.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
FWIW when I was researching my first helmet, an inexpensive Zeus, accident reports showed the helmet held up well, but there was more than one report of the lid coming off in an accident with aftermarket quick connectors.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I run the AGV Miglia 2 and it has a buckle style chin strap. This is my first modular but not my first quick release strap. It is a scaled down seat belt and it seems to be very safe. No part of the buckling mechanism is plastic...all metal. My $.02

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All Points Considered

Well I never thought my question would garner so much feedback, but thanks.
Since I first posted this thread, I have contacted a few QD helmet manufacturers to inquire about thier safety rating, materials, and manufacturing techniques. Eurpoe has been using these type buckles on thier ECE 22.05 compliant helmets for years.

I walked away from my research feeling that if the QD Device has metal final securing conectionis and is DOT approved I will try it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I brought one of those that has the plastic male holding clip and the metal female double blade thingy that slips in there and clicks / latches. What a pain to use. You have to get them lined up j-u-s-t right or one blade / side goes in like it should and the other easly slips above / belove the the male plastic thingy and it's there until you unlash the entire deal, you can't get the helmet off, what a pain. MC Consumer mag said they were great. Yea right! My G/F got one and she has the same problem. If you buy one, start carring a mirror.
I have this exact same set-up on both of my helmets. I found it has a little bit of a learning curve to get it right at first but now it's all second nature to me. I personally like these buckles and will have one on every helmet. Then again, to each his own :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

Thought about this and decided to get one but can't seem to find a place to purchase it. Where did you find the Stryker Buckle for sale?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts