StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could not love my new '11 white Wee more except for one thing. How does such a great machine come without a helmet holder...and I don't mean two wires under the seat. Does anyone know of an after-market add on?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I have seen after market ones mounted on Harley crash bars, no doubt you could fit one to crash bars on the Vee-Wee.

I carry a small-ish, long shanked padlock that fits over the mirror shaft- I lock my helmet on the mirror through the chin strap "D" buckle.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Why, do you want to be one of those guys who rides through town with his helmet dangling from it? :confused:

Seriously though, get a top box and lock it up in there when you get off the bike. You won't know how you lived without it, and your helmet won't fill up with water when it rains. :fineprint:

·
Registered
114 Posts
08 yellow came equiped with a perfect hanger, left side passenger
peg. Easy to use a cable lock thru frame if you were so inclined.

·
Registered
672 Posts
+1 Sankscan. Sometimes just need to lock up helmet particularly when traveling cross country and top box if full of essentials. At work and groceery store top box works great.

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
Lock

I added a ZRX1100/1200 Helmet Lock to the exterior of my ammo cans......I believe I have seen similar aftermarket locks available.

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
helmet lock

The company that makes Roadcrafter suits (forget their name) has bar end helmet locks in their catalog. They look just like the bar end weights that are on the bike stock, but these lock and unlock to hold the D rings on the helmet.

Bill H.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Helmet holder

Bicycle shops carry plastic coated wire cable with solid padlocks used to secure bicycles. Use to secure your helmet and through the sleeve of your jacket if needed.

WARDY

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Bicycle shops carry plastic coated wire cable with solid padlocks used to secure bicycles. Use to secure your helmet and through the sleeve of your jacket if needed.

WARDY
+1

I always leave a keyless combo cable lock (thickest I found) on passenger peg to use with helmet and thru jacket sleeve (on dry days) while at work. Self-coils when not in use. By not having a key, engine can be warming up while I undo the lock (since no key) and in summer I can leave bulky jacket on bike too. If it rains you are screwed! Far from perfect but cheap & quick.

The Ztechnik is neat too.

Nothing beats a top case for sure. But I don't have one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
helmet holder

I always put mine in my Givi top box - unless it is full. Then I either use a fat bike cable and lock it (and my jacket) to the rear grab rails or use the license plate helmet lock mentioned earlier. So, I have 3 methods to lock it. I have used each method at times, depending on what else I was carrying. Plus, I had my wife sew a little waterproof bag for the helmet, in case it is raining and the top box is full. I haven't had to use that yet. Be prepared, like the scouts say.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
as usual I'm cheap

small padlock set from walmart (two locks one key). lock to frame on passenger footrest

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Keep in mind that if you choose to use a lock of any sort that goes through the D-ring then all you are guaranteeing is that whoever cuts the strap and steals your helmet will not have a D-ring on his helmet. If you want to insure (at least as well as possible) that your helmet stays with you there are three ways to do it:

1) Always take your helmet with you
2) Lock it in a side case / top case
3) Use a braided steel cable through the chin bar

These aren't guaranteed but they are a lot more secure than anything through the D-ring.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts

These aren't guaranteed but they are a lot more secure than anything through the D-ring.
Yep. Had two past lids stolen (1-Fresno, CA; 1-Boston, MA) when I locked via D-loop. I now run thick braided cable thru chin bar (and now live in safer area), though the cable can be clipped too. So it suffices but is not fool proof.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Yep. Had two past lids stolen (1-Fresno, CA; 1-Boston, MA) when I locked via D-loop. I now run thick braided cable thru chin bar (and now live in safer area), though the cable can be clipped too. So it suffices but is not fool proof.
Yes, it can be clipped. So can the lock. But not with a pocket knife.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Keep in mind that if you choose to use a lock of any sort that goes through the D-ring then all you are guaranteeing is that whoever cuts the strap and steals your helmet will not have a D-ring on his helmet. If you want to insure (at least as well as possible) that your helmet stays with you there are three ways to do it:

1) Always take your helmet with you
2) Lock it in a side case / top case

Could you use the cable that comes with the bike through the chin bar on one of those license plate holders?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts