StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, need a suggestion or two concerning a HJC helmet. The side mounting plates for the face shield are very stiff and a bit too notchy for my tastes. Already had one side self destruct due to too much force needed to flip up the shield. Is there anything that I can use to lube the mechanism that will not damage or weaken the plastic bits in the side plates ? Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Which model of HJC is it? Silicone spray will be safe on the plastic and shouldn't get too messy if you apply it sparingly.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Silicone spray should work. Make sure that what ever you use is "plastic compatible" so that it does not eat at the parts. Avoid petroleum (hydrocarbon) based sprays. They can soften and eat at the plastic.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had a KBC not sure of the model but I replaced 3 shields and tried the silicone spray to no avail...finally through the POS out and bought a Shoei TZR for like $279 Best and quietest helmet I ever had.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Hi guys, need a suggestion or two concerning a HJC helmet. The side mounting plates for the face shield are very stiff and a bit too notchy for my tastes. Already had one side self destruct due to too much force needed to flip up the shield. Is there anything that I can use to lube the mechanism that will not damage or weaken the plastic bits in the side plates ? Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.
I've used a product called Water Lube on mine.
It's made for the swimming pool industry.

It's a heavy gel that comes in a tube, and is not unlike a popular brand of personal lubricant named after an abbreviation for the Bluegrass State.

You may want to look closely at the hinge points to see that somethig hasn't galled up or is binding.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Are you sure the visor is installed correctly, Bob? My HJC is definitely not notchy. Might be a difference in model, though. I think it may have been a little notchier when new, but not at all after a month or so of use. I've got the AC 12. My wife's CL SP is a little notchier, but not overly so.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My CL Max is so notchy when I first started using it I did not realize it would open further until I forced it . It's getting better with use. I'll try some silicone spray. Thanks

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
My dad would be shaking his head at all of the goop being suggested. Graphite. Pull off the shield, rub the "lead" of a pencil on the offending parts, put the shield back on.

Pencil graphite is magical for stiff or stuck hard parts. Try it on stubborn riding gear zippers too.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My CL Max is so notchy when I first started using it I did not realize it would open further until I forced it . It's getting better with use. I'll try some silicone spray. Thanks
That is the helmet I have. Sprayed some silicone on it today and it appears the notchy parts just fit notchier now. New side plates are sprayed on both sides so I am hoping things will smoothen out with use. This is the 2nd of 3 HJC helmets that have had self destructing side plates that I have bought in 4 years. I am really not impressed overall. The helmets are good but the reliability of the side plates will have me looking for a different brand in the future. Will have my fingers crossed in the mean time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
there is some adjustment in the sideplates too. might help if you adjust them a bit. Otherwise, use and some pencil graphite.

I'm in the market for a new helmet soon, but not sure what I'll be purchasing yet.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update on the face shield operation. It is definitely better as of today. Don't have a clue why it didn't show any gradual improvement over a few days, it was just like a light switch being turned on. Poof and I'm happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts