StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the market for a new helmet and I find myself in the analysis-paralysis phase of my purchasing decision.

I currently have a Neotec II, which was an upgrade from my original Neotec. I've been happy with the helmet overall, though I did have to do a bit of fitment modification when I first purchased it, to remove uncomfortable pressure on my forehead. Since doing so, the helmet's fit has been fine.

Even though I only purchased my current helmet 3 years ago, I still went to Lidpicker.com and ordered up an updated fit report. For those unaware, a Lidpicker kit consists of a caliper and a tape measure, which you use to take standard head measurements. You submit your numbers to Lidpicker and they provide a report listing hundreds of helmets, and how well (or not) they might fit your personal head shape/size.

My new Lidpicker report indicated the Shoei was likely to be an OK fit, but not ideal (which is probably why I had to make some modifications). However, the Schuberth E1 appeared to be bang-on in all categories. This conveniently coincided with my desire to move to a helmet with an external visor and mild off-road capabilities.

After watching hours of video reviews, I'm left with the following impressions:

Neotec II
Slightly newer design.
I know it will fit well (with minor modifications).
The Devil You Know (I've learned its idiosyncrasies).
About $100 more.
Not available in Hi-Viz (my top choice), but they have solid white (2nd choice).

E1
Based off the C3 Pro, which is an older generation helmet.
Hard to find the color(s) I want -- Hi-Viz/yellow is secondary as part of a graphic style, solid white may be out of production.
A lot of money for a brand I've never tried.
New models appear to only be offered in matte, which I know is harder to clean.
Probably quieter.

I should add that I've found it hard to find direct comparison reviews because the 2 helmets are for slightly different uses and are different generations.

I'm hoping for any input from those with experience with the E1, and especially anyone who's had the opportunity to use them both.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not much traction on this one...

How about Neotec 2 vs Schuberth C3 Pro, since the E1 is basically a C3 Pro with an external visor?

·
Premium Member
3,244 Posts
Whatever fits you best. Neotech2 and Schuberth c3 are not the same shape. For me the Neotech2 fit my egg shaped head best. If you have a super egg shaped head, look at LS2

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
I have both a Neotec 1 and a E1.
I like the interior of the E1 better than the Shoei.
Shoei seems to fit me better but that may be due to the fact that I have about 100k miles on it (due to be replaced).
E1 has a larger eye port which I like and the visor works much better than the Shoei.
Noise is a coin toss. I wear ear plugs so it doesn't much matter to me.
VEntilation - no significant difference.
Ease of changing the visor - slight edge to the E1.

I bought the E1 because I about passed out when I saw the price of the Shoei. Over $1k here in the GWN. E1 was a few hundred less.

I still use the Shoei on the road and the E1 off road but I am thinking I will just take the peak off and use it when I am on the road.

Best advice I can give you is buy what fits you the best. Brand and price don't matter if you get a headache after an hour.

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
1,189 Posts
I don't have a Shoei but I do have an E1. My advice is as from drrod, get what fits You best.

When I got my E1 I felt that it fitted ok. The fit felt much like any new helmet and I expected that initial snugness would slacken off with time. It didnt. I managed to adjust all pinch points but the helmet is simply too tight on the sides of my head after 200kms or so and that causes pain especially with my specs on. Nowadays I only use it in wintertime because of its peak and when most of my journeys are short. On the peak it is easy to break the locking mechanism and I have done two of them. Perhaps that aspect has been modified. Its a reasonably quiet helmet and otherwise well finished. Heavy enough.

At one point I needed to have a second backup helmet when I sent the Schuberth abroad with my gear for a Euro trip. As a backup I wasn't going to spend a lot on it. I saw that the local harley shop was selling Bell helmets and they had a modular in the lineup. I went and tried one. It felt good from the getgo. A little heavier than the E1 but waaay more comfortable. It was'nt quite as quiet as the E1 and didn't have quite as much peripheral view as the E1. Otherwise it was a nice helmet and I found myself using it more and more especially in summer. It is now my primary helmet and stays comfortable all day. The bottom line is that it cost half the price of the E1. My Wife recently dropped it onto a sharp edge and I simply replaced it with another.

Lastly I consulted with a well known helmet shop over here and mentioned the problems with the E1. I was told that I "didn't have a Schuberth head" and my head shape was probably better suited to a Shoei. I now know it is better suited to a Bell. The Bell is not as well specced as the Schuberth but at the end of the day, for me, comfort is what it is about.....

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that it would be great to be able to try on both helmets in various sizes to determine definitively what would be the best fit. Unfortunately, even though I live in a moderately sized metro area, there is only one place around here with any helmet selection (Cycle Gear); they don't have any E1s in stock and aren't likely to get any soon. The best source I've found for fitment approximation is Lidpicker.

My first-generation Neotec fit exceptionally well but, as mentioned in my original post, the Neotec 2 needed some modifications to remove the forehead pinch-point (thinner cheek pads, and a little work on the interior forehead area with a softball).

I will also say that, in reviewing prices, it looks like I can find the E1 around $200 cheaper than the Neotec 2.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Decision made.

I ended up going with what I know, and chose the Neotec 2. Ultimately, it came down to a few key decision points:
  • The Shoei is a newer generation helmet; the Schuberth is based on the C3 Pro, which is a couple generations old.
  • I knew the Shoei could be made into a good fit; the Schuberth, despite the Lidpicker results, was quite a lot of money to spend on something that I wasn't 100% sure about, fit-wise.
  • While neither helmet was available in my preferred Hi-Viz, the Shoei was pretty easy to find in my second-choice white; the E1 had some Hi-Viz options, but only as part of graphics schemes I didn't like, and white was an older option that proved hard to find.
Searching for prices, I found all US sources were set at $799. But I recalled another forum member giving a thumbs-up for Chromeburner.com, a Dutch company. I checked, and they had the Neotec 2 in my size and color. Plus, it was about $180 less (with the Euro exchange rate) than anything I could find domestically. I took a gamble and gave it a try. I'll report back with my experience, good or bad.

·
Premium Member
3,244 Posts
Fyi, if you want high viz some of the Neotech2 patterns like my Splicer have reflective elements built in without making you.look.like a traffic cone.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fyi, if you want high viz some of the Neotech2 patterns like my Splicer have reflective elements built in without making you.look.like a traffic cone.
I did look at some of those, but the ones I found with Hi-Viz were more expensive than the solid colors, which have increased about $100 since I last bought a Neotec 2.

I shifted from my current light silver to white because my research indicated that, after Hi-Viz, white is the most noticeable color. Though I have to say I was sorely tempted by Shoei's metallic red; that looked spicy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts