StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a heck of a problem with helmets. From all the helmets I tried, only one has enough chin room for me. To begin with, I have a 3x head, which means that I'm in the 1 in a 500 head range. Top it off with a square jaw and viola, out of all the helmets on the market, only two fit. The Shoei 1100 and the HJC CL-16. A few that fit me actually touch my chin and most others I can touch the chin if I look down or move my chin around.

Sooo.....I wear open face 3/4 now and some of the helmets which don't fit my chin seem to have better visibility. Rather then compromising on visibility, I rather shave down a quarter inch off the chin area then have no protection at all. Sure, there is not much there, but that's a million times better then having nothing there at all.

With the priority being as much visibility as possible, which helmet offers the best field of vision?

BTW, why couldn't they put a bar there like football helmets? Mehhh.....

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Field of vision is pretty much a non functional criteria. Motorcyclists need to turn their heads to properly direct their bikes and do head checks before making lane changes. People who worry about it are the ones who claim they can't wear a full face helmet because of claustrophobia. The aversion is mental, not physical. People who have a mental block rarely have it cured by a different helmet. They pretty much either get past the block, with or without help, or can't wear any full face helmet. People who wear glasses effectively have a narrower field of vision than helmet wearers but aren't bothered because the glasses don't make them feel closed in. That being said, how about dual sport helmets? Have you checked those? Besides having more chin room, they tend to also have wider openings if that helps how you feel about the helmet.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a heck of a problem with helmets. From all the helmets I tried, only one has enough chin room for me. To begin with, I have a 3x head, which means that I'm in the 1 in a 500 head range. Top it off with a square jaw and viola, out of all the helmets on the market, only two fit. The Shoei 1100 and the HJC CL-16. A few that fit me actually touch my chin and most others I can touch the chin if I look down or move my chin around.

Sooo.....I wear open face 3/4 now and some of the helmets which don't fit my chin seem to have better visibility. Rather then compromising on visibility, I rather shave down a quarter inch off the chin area then have no protection at all. Sure, there is not much there, but that's a million times better then having nothing there at all.

With the priority being as much visibility as possible, which helmet offers the best field of vision?

Let's say you take a bad fall on your motorcycle. Even though the modification has nothing to do with your death, it is determined that the helmet failed and in subsequent court proceedings your survivor's claims against the helmet manufacturer are thrown out because it is explicitly stated in the helmet warranty that any modification void the warranty.

Now where do your survivors stand because of your choice?

I hate to be so blunt but motorcycling is a risky sport. Your helmet is considered a primary source of protection.

Keep shopping until you find one that fits.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
how about dual sport helmets? Have you checked those? Besides having more chin room, they tend to also have wider openings if that helps how you feel about the helmet.
fwiw, I tried on an Arai XD, thought it would have more chin room... not, exactly opposite, less chin room than my Shoei TZR or the Arai Signet I had previous

the helmet I own with the most chin room, is a snowmobile helmet

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
199 Posts
That's exactly what we did back in the day before full face helmets.

Then, Bell came out with the Bell Star:

BTW, that's me in a desert race in a previous life...

Ron :mrgreen:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now where do your survivors stand because of your choice?

I hate to be so blunt but motorcycling is a risky sport. Your helmet is considered a primary source of protection.

Keep shopping until you find one that fits.

Not an issue. The foam is there to absorb the impact.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Administrator
17,206 Posts
Find out what Jay Leno wears.:fineprint:

·
Boy talks too much....
588 Posts
I have a large melon as well. Arai Signet GT XXXL is the only helmet I can where and they dont make the damn things anymore.:headbang:
So I'm taking good care of the one I have till they make a real XXXL again. Hopefully soon.
Signet was the long oval that has lots of chin room.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I just put a tape measure top my beachball. 24.5" inches....plus or mins an ear. That makes me an XXL, BUT I run into problems with chin fit. From what I understand, the large to extra large use the same casing so I'm not surprised. Once they go to XXXL, the use larger casing.....and more chin room.

I ignored the lecture part in this thread or legal concerns. What I wanted to know is if anyone has the same problem and about the maximum visibility.

PTRider, thanks for that link.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I ignored the lecture part in this thread or legal concerns. What I wanted to know is if anyone has the same problem and about the maximum visibility.
Good for you. I'd forgotten that you're a Canuck. Not a problem for the socialized medicine crowd.

BTW, you'd be amazed by the number of folks that read these treads and never post. I responded to your suggestion, that you might modify your helmet, not only for your benefit but for the benefit of the vast majority of readers that might take your suggestion seriously.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have an HJC AC-12 and a Shoei X-11; the AC-12 has more room around the chin, but not a huge amount. I can speak to the fact that the Shoei is quite snug in the chin-bar area, though I'm just in an XL.

Always glad to be able to not really help at all after all. :)

I would think maybe the Qwest is a bit roomier than the 1100, though, isn't it?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Field of vision is pretty much a non functional criteria. Motorcyclists need to turn their heads to properly direct their bikes and do head checks before making lane changes.
I agree, you should always do a head check, but disagree that the size and shape of the viewport has no functional influence. A helmet with a wider viewport allows you to see back into the blind spot with less head rotation, which is a safety asset. The further you have to turn your head in doing those head checks the longer you are not looking forwards.

That being said, how about dual sport helmets? Have you checked those? Besides having more chin room, they tend to also have wider openings if that helps how you feel about the helmet.
Bingo. In addition to normal street full face helmets (KBC, HJC, Shoei), I also have a Bieffe off-road and AFX FX-37 Dual Sport lid. Both of these have considerably wider eye ports and the improved peripheral vision they provide is most welcome. I would like it if some of the regular street helmets went in that direction. I'm sure it has something to do with increased risk of a face smash with the larger opening.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts