StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All - This is my first post on this forum and I just got a '07 DL650 last Friday. I put all of 5 miles on it before I had to go to work for the weekend and the bike was put in storage until Tuesday. bike is clean and has 7,650 miles on it.

My question is this please. I stopped at the dealer and got a replacement oil filter. The only thing is I remember there being what looks like a bolt head on the filter that is presently installed, almost like a bolt through type, similar to my old Honda CB750. The new filter does not have a center hole or head on it, it is smooth like most screw-on filters.

I can't get to the bike until Tuesday and am wondering if I have the correct filter for it. Where there any changes between years in regards to the oil filters?

I'm going to try to post the only picture I have of it and you can barely see on the front of the filter where the bolt head is.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Regards,

Al

Attachments

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
there being what looks like a bolt head on the filter that is presently installed
That is indicative of a K&N brand oil filter. What you have is probably the correct filter. Be sure to follow the unusual tightening instructions on the filter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I'm not familiar with K&N oil filters. While you were posting I was working on a better picture.

Here is is.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
That is indicative of a K&N brand oil filter. What you have is probably the correct filter. Be sure to follow the unusual tightening instructions on the filter.
hmmm ... still being kinda new around here, and kinda new to stroms, please do tell more of this "unusual tightening instructions on the filter", please.

Which filter does this refer to, only the dealer/zuki filter?

I am interested because I just changed the oil and filter in the wee for the first time. I used a NAPA Gold 1359 and saw no instructions at all. I also had no issues at all. One of the easiest oil and filter changes I have ever done.

Is there something I have missed about filters that I need to know? A secret "filter" thingy?

I doubt I will ever use a zuki filter, but now, I must know this, please.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
The OEM filters do not have a bolt head. They are smooth like most filters.
If you have the Suzuki oil filter wrench, I believe the torque is 14.5 lbs. Someone else may want to confirm this.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
hmmm ... still being kinda new around here, and kinda new to stroms, please do tell more of this "unusual tightening instructions on the filter", please.

Which filter does this refer to, only the dealer/zuki filter?

I am interested because I just changed the oil and filter in the wee for the first time. I used a NAPA Gold 1359 and saw no instructions at all. I also had no issues at all. One of the easiest oil and filter changes I have ever done.

Is there something I have missed about filters that I need to know? A secret "filter" thingy?

I doubt I will ever use a zuki filter, but now, I must know this, please.

Thanks.
The stock filter requires two turns of the filter to tighten it due to the O-ring it uses. If you hand tighten it like an automotive filter it will probably leak and could spew oil and leave you stranded.

When my stock of filters run out I'm buying a device that will allow me to use automotive oil filters.

·
Registered
57 Posts
torque wrench for oil filters....whodathunkit?

I just used my old "snug it up, gud n tite" method, one handed. I will keep an eye out for leaks. What would y'all consider a reasonable method of installing the filter with no filter torque wrench? What do y'all do?

Thanks for the info!

I read about that auto filter adapter. That sounds like a good idea!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
What would y'all consider a reasonable method of installing the filter with no filter torque wrench?
A strap wrench costs practically nothing (I think I paid $3 for mine) and works fine. You don't need a torque wrench; just 2 full turns past the point where it first touches.

I bought the Suzuki filter wrench and have never used it. It's not worth the trouble.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
A strap wrench costs practically nothing (I think I paid $3 for mine) and works fine. You don't need a torque wrench; just 2 full turns past the point where it first touches.

I bought the Suzuki filter wrench and have never used it. It's not worth the trouble.
But, it takes up less space in the tool kit that I carry during my weekend trips.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Thank you. I'm not familiar with K&N oil filters.
K&N motorcycle oil filters are made by Hiprofiltro in Thailand. They seem to be good filters...I've seen no reports that they are bad nor especially good. K&N auto oil filters are made by Champion Labs in the U.S., and the reports I've read indicate average filtration and excellent durability. The nut on the end is a convenience and marketing thing.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
The nut on the end is a convenience and marketing thing.
And very, very useful on a BMW oilhead where the filter is recessed into the oil pan so far that you can't get a grip on it.

Another FABULOUS feature from the good folks at der Fabrika. Who says Germans don't have a sense of humor?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
But, it takes up less space in the tool kit that I carry during my weekend trips.
Holy crap -- how far do you go in a weekend? :mrgreen:

I've only needed an oil change on the road once, at the halfway point of a 6500 mile trip, and I didn't change the filter. Suzuki calls for a filter change every other oil change ... I normally do it every time, but on a long trip, I'm fine with skipping one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think the Suzuki OEM filter takes two turns from first contact to be at the correct tightness, but most aftermarket filters require just one turn. It usually gives the tightening proceedure on the box. I assume the OEM filter must have a softer (and/or thicker) rubber gasket then the OEM filters.

I use a strap type oil filter wrench with 3/8" drive. I suppose I could put a torque wrench on it but I usually use the "1 turn" technique (or 2 turns for the OEM)

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Most other filters can be hand tightened or done 1/2-3/4 turn. Check for instructions with the filter.

·
Registered
302 Posts
torque wrench for oil filters....whodathunkit?

I just used my old "snug it up, gud n tite" method, one handed. I will keep an eye out for leaks. What would y'all consider a reasonable method of installing the filter with no filter torque wrench? What do y'all do?

Thanks for the info!

I read about that auto filter adapter. That sounds like a good idea!
Half the fun of doing your own oil/filter changes is playing with tools. I unashamedly admit to using the K&N filters and a torque wrench. :thumbup:

Gives me an excuse to hang out in the garage a bit longer and finish my beer. :mrgreen:

·
Banned
158 Posts
I just changed my filter with the Wix 1359 and tightened to 1 and 1/2 turns with filter wrench as there was no instructions on box. No leaks so I guess I'm ok. Right?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Holy crap -- how far do you go in a weekend? :mrgreen:

I've only needed an oil change on the road once, at the halfway point of a 6500 mile trip, and I didn't change the filter. Suzuki calls for a filter change every other oil change ... I normally do it every time, but on a long trip, I'm fine with skipping one.
Barry likes to regularily bathe his Wee in muddy swamps. replacement of the oil filter is nec when he drains all the water from the crank case.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I just changed my filter with the Wix 1359 and tightened to 1 and 1/2 turns with filter wrench as there was no instructions on box. No leaks so I guess I'm ok. Right?
Unless otherwise instructed as with the 2 turns of an OEM filter, I'd go with 3/4 turn or hand tightened. That's what I did with that filter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts