StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Have been poking around this forum and finally got smart and decided to register.

Just purchased a 2015 DL650A in late fall of last year, so I only had a small taste of the joy of riding it before the cold really set it. Had a V-Star before the VStrom, but have to say, I am enjoying the ride and comfort of the VStrom so much more.
Looking forward to the warmer weather to come and get back out on the road.

Lou

·
Registered
795 Posts
Welcome! I've got a little over 7k miles on my 15 650 XT. It has been a real joy to ride One and Two up and loaded with gear. It has only taken a couple of low speed dirt naps.

Several Canadians on the forum. I look forward to hearing about your mods and adventures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Lou.

There are some hidden benefits to being a Stromtrooper. I have met and ridden with members of this forum in Vermont, Ontario, Texas, Maine, British Columbia, and Newfoundland. Oh, and Florida of course.

I do not have to tell you how wonderful Nova Scotia is, nor how inhospitable its weather is as I type. I learn that storm surges are threatening buildings on the Atlantic shore, and shutting down just about everything that wanted to move in Halifax.

Enjoy your rides ... because you no longer have the opportunity NOT to enjoy them!
Keith

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Nova Scotia....a favourite place for me to ride. I've been spending summers on the south shore outside Bridgewater with occasional trips to Cape Breton. La Have, West Dublin and parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the welcome replies.

Yes, we got hit pretty hard with a snow storm last night and still digging out.
I am definitely looking forward to exploring some of the more rural parts of NS on the bike - and I agree, the South Shore is a beautiful area to ride.
Looking forward to getting lots of tips/info from the people on here and hope to meet up and share a few miles too.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Welcome Lou! I spent a night in Halifax last May on a trip to Nova Scotia that included many fine biking roads and only a little bit of rain ;) Hope to visit again soon.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I also enjoy the East Coast. Took a ride out a couple of years back and picked up my wife in Halifax following her conference. We had great weather for a week riding around NS and it was particularly clear on the Cabot Trail. East coast residents have to be the friendliest I have met anywhere. Enjoy your ride once things thaw out. In southern Ontario we have been much more fortunate and have had some reasonable riding days this winter.
Ken

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Welcome ...kid and I spent the better part of our East Coast trip in Nova Scotia last summer and really enjoyed it..Lots of lovely roads to explore. Wolfeville still one of my fav towns.
Wee is a good pick for the area as with the right tires you can point it up any gravel or dirt byway with confidence and it can eat up the miles on tour in comfort once you get the farkle mix correct.

·
Registered
14,483 Posts
Hola, Nova Scotia.
Since Great+++ granddad Timothy Ruggles voted against the leaving the Crown and was granted 10K acres in NS by the Crown. The family has had a presence there. I missed a family reunion there years ago. Would have been a hoot.
But, I missed it. My sister and Uncle attended.
Good things are reported about riding there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am hoping that there will be some VStrom gatherings this summer here in NS. I am looking forward to meeting some people and putting a few miles in.
Decent weather can't come quick enough

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
I am hoping that there will be some VStrom gatherings this summer here in NS. I am looking forward to meeting some people and putting a few miles in.
Decent weather can't come quick enough
You may find more activity in the New England section of the forum. As I mentioned, I rode with two Vermonters and had a good time. I have also visited Maine to see what Black Lab aka Barry Buchanan was up to. He is a fascinating fellow. For example, he drowned his Wee-Strom in a river, then photographed it lying there, then hauled it out and pushed it about 18 miles to civilization. His write-up of this venture included a three-minute video of him pushing it up a hill ... slowly, very slowly. The video he published did not include coverage of himself walking back to get the camera. In my opinion, it takes a very special person to document such a trek. And so he proved to be in person.

And so are some of the rest of us. I have ridden with Nuke (in Florida and Ontario) and V-Tom (several times in Ontario only) and with a couple of intrepid Florida Stromtroopers to College Station Texas, so we could ride Texas' Hill Country. I have ridden a couple of thousand miles with the Stromtroopers of Florida, but not recently because some of them are elsewhere or doing other things now.

I suppose a fascinating summer awaits you. That summer is here now, of course, and I am training it to be nice to you and bring you some of our weather and as many of our bugs as it can carry. Enjoy them!

Keith

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Keith

Thanks for the tip on the New England section., I'll have to check that out.
I would love to take a trip down to New England, have been that way in a car a few times, but probably wouldn't compare to driving in that beautiful area on a motorcycle.

That is a great story regarding Barry, sounds like a very interesting person for sure.

Thanks again !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts