StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought I'd check in. Just moved to the Brier Creek area between Raleigh and Durham. Been traveling down here to the office for the last three years, but that was all rental car. Now i have the bike. What am i looking at for decent/fun roads around here? the 10 minute commute is getting a little old.

any thoughts/words of wisdom about the suzuki dealer up the road on 70?

thanks y'all

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hello from Morrisville! What do you ride?

I haven't been to the dealer in Durham, just Matison Motorsports in Raleigh. They gave me pretty good service on my current bike. Luckily, I haven't had to go to anyone else for anything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Suzuki of Durham

I have been to the Suzuki Dealer off 70 since it is close to work. They seem to be good people and the prices were reasonable as well. (cheaper than Matison, I guess they don't have a new fancy building to pay for) I had them do some work on my last bike and overall I was happy with them. I still stop in ocasionally to buy parts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm on a flat-black 08 Wee (#179) with the stickers removed. (and usually a OEM top case)

I met a friend-of-a-friend down here who said he knows the folk who run the Durham joint and gave them the "they're good people" stamp of approval. he seemed to indicate they're big into the dirt side of things.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've only talked to the sales staff there and they have been really nice. I try to do my own maintenance and avoid the stealership fees so I can't comment on their service department.

You are right between Jordan and Falls Lake, plenty of rural places to explore around either of them.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm just chiming in to say welcome also. I am West of you out in Cabarrus County.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Clarksville Va loop

We like to ride HWY50 past falls lake and pick up 15 and run that up into Clarksville Va and Kerr lake. There are plenty of fun roads with some twisties off the main highway.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Welcome to the area

as for fun roads..........well I have not found too many. I live in Wake Forest and usually head north towards VA for some decent rides. You are in the Piedmont region so it is a little flat overall. You will find it flatter still the farther east you go. So, that leaves west and north towards the mountains. When it starts to get cooler it is nice to cruise towards the beach. Usually warmer there.

·
Registered
578 Posts
From Chapel Hill

Welcome-

As for Kawi/Suzuki of Durham, I bought my bike there. They're not giving anything away these days; they barely came down off of MSRP for the sale, and wouldn't really throw in any gear/accessories in the deal. Maybe I wasn't bargaining hard enough, but they told me the Wees go as quick as they come in so they really didn't need to bargain to make that sale, and I've found that to be fairly true. I think the number of DL riders we have showing up in this area is testament to that. The thing that sold the bike was when Terry, the sales manager and my salesman for the transaction, called a dealer down in Sanford to find me a left-over yellow Wee. I really wanted yellow at first. When the Sanford dealer refused to do a dealer transfer, Terry gave me the name and number of that dealership in case I wanted to go buy the bike from them. I thought that was pretty outstanding from a guy who had just spent half his day working with me on his floor, so I shook his hand on the spot and sealed the deal. It's not often a salesman is THAT concerned with getting you exactly what you want. That being said, the Durham dealership is a bit of a drive for me so I don't get out there often. I had them do my first service, and I'm completely satisfied with that work. Shortly after, however, I decided to start doing ALL maintenance myself.

There's another dealership in Raleigh that is fantastic for having parts on hand. Check out Barnett's Suzuki/Ducati/Moto Guzzi for any hard-to-find parts. Come to think of it, I discovered them because when Kawi/Suzuki of Durham didn't have the fork seals for my older Marauder, rather than pressure me to order the parts from them, their parts guy told me to call Barnett's. Man... maybe I need to go do some business with the Durham guys next chance I get...

Being in the Chapel Hill area, some of my favorite local roads are those around Jordan Lake and some south of 64 toward Apex and Fuquay. I work a pretty wacky shift, but I'm always up for a ride on a weekday. Just send out the smoke signals and I'm pretty sure you can a few of the locals together any time. We had a great ride on New Year's Day this year put together by AdvFamily. We all keep mentioning doing it again... someone's gonna have to pull the trigger. I'd do it, but it'd end up on a Tuesday. ;)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Barnett's

BTW- When I was there 2 or 3 weeks ago, Barnett's had two Wees on the showroom floor.

...And a Duc. Sport Classic 1000GT. MMmmmmm....:bom_shy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts