StromTrooper banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I'm a Canadian expatriate living in Taiwan. I've been here for 9 years now and I'm enjoying it a lot.

My wife and I enjoy taking motorcycle rides through the mountains in Taiwan. We currently ride a made-in-Taiwan Hartford HD-200S. It's okay but has its issues, particularly on longer rides. I'm in the process of researching our next motorcycle--which just may be a V-Strom 650--so that's how I stumbled across this discussion forum. That purchase won't be made this year (not until the apartment gets paid off), so I have some time to research my options and familiarize myself with everything. And, in case anyone is curious, Taiwan has a HUGE import tax on all vehicles, making a V-Strom 650 about 428,000TWD (I'll let you convert that into your respective currencies just for added shock value).

Other than that, my hobbies are books, movies, coffee (roasting, making espresso), and straight razors.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I get 14,472 in us dollars. That is harsh but I guess its one way of promoting domestic sales.:green_lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's about right, give or take. Scary, huh?

The problem is, there aren't any domestic bikes in this category. All the domestic stuff here is largely 100-125cc scooters. There are some 150cc motorcycles, but my 200cc was the last of the carburetor'd ones before everything went fuel-injected. There have been a few manufacturers playing around in the 250-350cc range, but I don't think anything has come of it. Basically, the government is trying to keep the overall number of vehicles to an absolute minimum by promoting public transportation and forcing people to keep their cars for a very long time. Commendable any way you look at it, especially when you consider this is a tiny little island of 24 million people. However, I just wish they would acknowledge the benefits of heavy motorcycles over cars when it comes to traffic congestion, and potentially environmental issues as well, and cut us a bit of a tax break.

Heavy motorcycles are a relatively new concept here--perhaps 5-7 years--and a lot of people are scared of them. These people lobby the government and influence policy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts