StromTrooper banner

Hello from Dartmouth, NS Canada

1K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  gweeg 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello folks!

My name is Murray and I own an orange Wee! OK, now that I got that off my chest, I'll continue! LOL

I'm a new (old) biker who is working on his 3rd bike since June of last year (2011). I started with a 1997 Vulcan 750, sold that and bought a 2000 V-Star 1100 Custom (selling that), and last week I bought a "new" (demo) 2010 DL650SEA Touring from a local dealer. I paid $8,300 (before tax).

I put 400 kms on it last week (when the temp here was 23C, now -6C) and I loved every km. Everything they say about this bike is true... good and bad.

I've ordered the Laminar Touring Lip, MadStad brackets, and SW Moteck 30mm risers. I hope that fixes the noise and buffeting issues! :confused:

BTW, I want the other old, tall, and heavy guys/gals out there to know that the 650 is BIG enough for you. I am 6'3" (32 inseam) and weigh 270 lbs. With the bags on, I had the Wee doing 140 kms/hr. I could have gone faster, but not with the stock setup... too much buffeting - scared the crap out of me!

Here is a pic of the bike (standing tall next to his 2 adopted brothers - a 2000 Vstar 1100 Custom, and a 2006 Harley Heritage...

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome to the collective

You have been assimilated , Even though you have the wee.....you will love this bike even more as you put the km's on it. Keep your eyes open for this old man on a vintage 2003 Yellow Vee, and as far as I am aware I am the only one in all of the Maritimes ....

I have a chum in Eastern Passage who will be getting his cruiser out in the near future from Kentville, hope its in the next 2 weeks......

hope to see a fellow trooper

wayne

#5 ·
Thanks for the Welcome guys!

No, that wasn't me on the Eastern Shore. I picked the bike up from Pro Cycle on Thursday at 5:00 PM and headed for the Tim's in Fall River via the Waverly Road. I had the next day off and spent the day visiting friends/family to show off the Wee! Just local driving for now.

I took in out to the Fall River Tim's after work today as well.... "2C"... brrrrrrr! LOL!

#6 ·
You're starting a bad habit there. There's not enough chrome on the Wee to be standing next to it at the Timmies. ;)

That things made for riding, not showing. Get out there and ride. Check the ride reports out over on the dualsport site, there's some amazing riding here in NS in every direction. We'll get you out and introduce you to some of it this year. :thumbup:

#7 ·
I agree that it is definately a bike for riding, but I disagree that it's not for showing. All the "black and chrome" guys I know love it! :jawdrop:

I'm planning a Cabot Trail/Louisburg/PEI ride this summer with a buddy who rides a 2006 Concours. In the meantime, I mostly do the Dartmouth-Truro, Dartmouth - Elmsdale - Musquodoboit, and rides of that length on the secondary roads. I will take the highway if I'm in a hurry to get back, but I MUCH prefer 80 to 90 kms on "Twisties". I haven't had the chance to do any "off-road" stuff yet... don't want to get it dirty! LOL!

#8 ·
Welcome to the club from another Nova Scotian.

I just picked up my Vee this spring, the wife thinks Im nuts for taking the bike out when its 0 degrees out, but I cant wait for spring, Ive racked up 200 miles so far

We will have to plan a ride sometime

cheers,
Dave

#9 ·
I think it would be great to get as many Vees/Wees as possible from the local area to do a local ride.

At the Fall River Tims, there is an "unofficial" cruiser and sport bike section... we need to start a Dual Purpose (Dual Sport) section as well. We could refer to it as the BIG BIKE section!!! LOL!

Seriously though, it would be very cool to have about 10 or 15 guys start out from there!

What do you guys think? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

#14 ·
Sure thing Novascotia, I mean NewBrunswick... wait! I'm confused??? LOL!

Seriously, it would be great if you want to come all that way. I know we don't know each other, but you would be welcome to come to my place, freshen up, and then head out from there on the "local ride"! Same goes for anyone from the Maritimes! Sorry, I would like to invite ALL of you, but I only have 4 toilets!!! :yikes:

#16 ·
Greetings!

Lived in Dartmouth and Halifax when I was a kid, The old man was in the RCN and stationed at the Naval base there and on a lot of ships. One carrier in wartime, two in peace time, mine sweepers, destroyers, frigates, pretty much the whole enchalada. He got out in '63 and we moved to Ontario. NB, NS and PEI are crawling with rerlatives. Haven't been back for a good visit since '86. Think I'm about due.:yesnod:

#17 ·
new stromtropper here.

i"m jealous, i bought my 2012 wee at the pro as well about a month and a half ago!! and it"s still there!! had two work on thoes nice days ,and now it"s witer again, picking my ride up on mon,april 2!!!! and i will be riding it home here to pictou county rain or shine!! snow may be a problem!! may have too take the truck up to get it, maybe will beable too meet up over the summer, cheers,
:thumbup:

#18 ·
Welcome Murray
Be carefull on that Orange Wee...I heard it was the fastest colour.:yesnod:
You don't want the coppers to issue you a ticket...and they seem to be everywhere these days.
Looking forward to meeting up and going for a ride sometime soon.....just be carefull where you follow Fyrman or that shiney new rig will be covered in mud in no time.:yikes:

#20 ·
@ Fyrman

I see you have the "fender extender" and some crash bars.

What type of crash bars are they? Would you buy them again, or would you have picked something else?

I hear the "fender extender" negates the need for rad/filter protection... is that true?

What do you have connected to the bottom of the engine (where a skid plate would go - or is that a skid plate)?

Thanks!

#22 ·
Welcome Murry

Hi Murry. Great looking bike .I go to Timmies quite often and especially on bike night.How else are we strom riders going to show these cruisers the error of their ways? I find the people there very freindly and always get someone asking about the v-strom, so if you see a red wee thats me,by the way I live in Dartmouth . Cheers Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.