StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all :]
Recently i bouth VStrom :smile2: DL650 2014 ,planning long journey in next few weeks.
Since i got the bike smth was not right with chain or engine,feeling gently pull and loos on first gears.
Gladly i think i figure out what was the issue,one or two chain link sized/jammed,(almost sure this was re-selling agency fault,one allen nut is turn etc.)so i went for new chain x-ring type(sprockets all just fine,no need to change),and here is the question:This linked below will fit to my Vstrom ?

Found on UK eBay "JT-X-Ring-Motorcycle-Chain-525X1R-118-fits-Suzuki-DL650-A-V-Strom-ABS-12"

Ps:There is 12 on the end of transaction description,i assume its mine 2012 an UP,any help for newbee ?:confused:
Ps2:If its not in right place,please delete it or shift.

·
Registered
271 Posts
That chain fits according to the check I ran on the PN. Chains can last a long time - even the stock chain should last 20,000 miles. The chain just might have been out of adjustment. Make sure you get it adjusted right and test it for 20 miles or so before the trip. I like to carry a liquid oil while traveling and oil the chain every other tankful will getting gas. If you take good care of your chain (no need to wash it, just lube) it can last over 30,000 miles and I have heard even longer. Good Luck

·
Administrator
5,322 Posts
You say that one or two links in your chain are jammed, and if that is the case you should replace it.
I would add that it is generally accepted that if your chain needs to be replaced that you should also replace both sprockets as well. If the sprockets are at all worn they will immediately start to stretch the chain to a premature end.
It would appear that the previous owner may not have kept the chain correctly oiled. How many kms/miles has your bike done?
p.s. I do not understand your statement "one allen nut is turn etc."

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Either the chain does not need replacement, just lubrication, or if its worn your front sprocket will for sure be worn as well. You should then replace the full set!

Test the chain at the rear sprocket at the 3 o clock position, trying to lift it off the sprocket pulling away from the sprocket. If it lifts off enough so you can look through, 5-10mm, the chain is done. Especially for a longer trip, if in doubt, change it. It will cost you a lot more if you have to replace the chain on the road!! Worst case, if it breaks it can destroy your engine housing.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I did a search and found the item, from the UK. If it's the same seller, it says $43.97 shipping? Yikes!! Gotta watch shipping charges on EBay.

You usually get a better deal if you get the sprockets and chain as a package deal. The one below, includes the sprockets for about the same as your link. BUT, it's in the U.S.......and I'm guessing you aren't?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DL650-A-2012-2015-V-Strom-ABS-Adventure-JT-Chain-and-Sprocket-Kit-OEM/173128695413?hash=item284f463e75:g:5CQAAOSw5cNYdVg9:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateBox!45813!US!-1

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Definitely replace the chain if there are hard links. Check the sprockets while at it, since depending on mileage it might make sense to do them also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts