StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Adam and I am new to the whole motorcycle scene. The owner fo this site knows me from races at the Action Track (hey!). I am taking the motorcycle riding class at the local college this fall (ISU). What I was wondering what kind of bike should I start out with. What I know I want so far is something cheap and used because I have never set foot on a bike before (I have sat on my friends Sportster and plan on getting one in a couple years). I have been looking at anything from a 250cc cruiser to a 500cc sport bike (GZ250, Vstar250, and a GS500). I don't know if the 250 would be too small for me. I am about 6 1 and weigh about 250. Anyway, can't wait until next spring to have 2 wheels to ride myself.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
DL650 VStrom. Great 1st bike, and it's got more than enough power to pull your body weight (I'm not that much smaller than you!).

Just be respectful of the potential in the throttle. Fool with the throttle and it will get you to 100 very quickly. Learn safely and wisely. No matter the motorcycle, it is more bike than anything you've done before.

A 600cc sport bike is too much engine for many first timers. A 650cc VStrom is much tamer, kinder, and gentler. And will serve you well for years to come. And is much more practical and versatile, both fun and utilitarian. Also very economical, comfortable for your 6'1" body, and dead-on reliable.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My first bike was an older GS500 (the naked version) and it was a great first bike. It had enough power to haul me around as fast as I wanted to go and I'm 6'2" and about 225lbs. My wife and I even took some short 2 up trips with the bike and it did just fine. The seating position is in between a pure sport bike and standard and the comfort level for me was just okay.

HOWEVER . . . . If I knew then what I know now, the Wee would've been a possibility for a first bike.

It all depends on your comfort and experience level, BUT BE SMART. My GS500 only put out about 45 horsepower and it was more than enough bike to almost get me in trouble! ;)

Good luck on your search and when the time comes, ride safe!

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
GS500f

My name is Adam I have been looking at anything from a 250cc cruiser to a 500cc sport bike (GZ250, Vstar250, and a GS500). QUOTE]

Hay Adam, I bought the GS500f last year, at first seating in the showroom I thought it was great. Also a very nice looking bike, powerful, fast responce, MPG pretty good. After riding it for a while it would literraly be a pain in the back !! I felt I was leaning too far forward, and doing push-ups at 50 is a strain. At 300 miles it began to smoke at start ups, this was in mid summer in Utah ( 100+ F. ) Got the run-around from my dealer and Suzi of America. The best reply was that this was a lowend model and that's the way it is. Besides, you may be a bit tall for it, wouldn't do the knees all too good I think.
If you are just beginning the two wheel experience, please start with a low cc, 250 is a good start. Too many people are injured or killed jumping on big bikes with no experience. And I highly recommend the MSF Class. I took it even with years of riding, amazing what I didn't know.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well a update.

A. I have a few bikes I am looking at. One is a Honda Rebel. It is used, but new. Either a 2007 or 2008. The current owner bought it and has no one to ride with so they are selling it. I would pay thier pay off. I also sat on my co workers Honda c30 Magna (I think, it is 500cc). but the downside is that is only get 30 mpg in the city on a good day. I am only going to spend around 2500 for my first bike. I see a Vstrom 650 at the local dealer today, it looks a bit too big for me to learn on.

I also looked at helmets, and will probably get the kind with the flip up helmet front (looks like a half helmet when up).

something like this

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at my cash issues for this bike,
Well, I might buy a co workers bike next spring.

Not this nice, but this is what it is similiar to. His is blue.

it will be under 2k, he will sell it right now for 1400, but he is going to have the pipes powdercoated and replace all the missing pieces. He is only selling for what he has in it.

It is a Yamaha Virago XV750.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the DL650 as a 1st bike....it's very tall. Learn your skills on some of the other bikes that you've mentioned like the Rebel or GS 500. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'd have no issue going for a V-strom as a first bike. I did 3 months ago... You respect it, learn correctly, ride within your limits.

MSF, Parking lots, empty roads

Thats all of course a V-strom is the type of ride your looking for.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My first road bike was Harley Road King Police. That was a mother to learn to ride on after taking the MSF on a little 250. Made riding the Vee a breeze.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a update.

Got my permit today.
Sat on a wee today. Felt almost too big, but my feet did sit flat on the ground. If I had the 5k the dealer was asking for it, I would probably have rode it home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Buy a cheap one, you're gonna drop it

Hi, New2bikes. Nice that you could flat-foot the Wee-Strom; I'm not sure I can, without using lowering links.

Anyway, listen to all these nice folks, and buy a used, cheap, lesser-powered bike as your first ride. You're gonna drop it. I never dumped mine on the road (at least, until a car ran a stop sign and rammed me on October 1). But I DID drop it a couple of times moving it around the garage and the driveway, when I was walking and pushing it. You don't want to do that to a nice bike. I had a Ninja 500 that I bought for $3400, used. That's the kind of bike you want for a first-time ride. Even that 500 was WAY too much bike for me if I opened the throttle all the way. Zero to 60 in less than 4 seconds....and they call that a starter bike?!?

So, soon, I'll have my insurance settlement check and I'll start shopping for a Wee-Strom. But I'm sure glad I made all(?) my noob mistakes on a cheaper, lighter, simpler bike. Ninja 500 is good, I'm sure GS500 is just as good. Get something like that. The Stroms will wait, and used ABS models might finally be affordable by the time you're ready.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Payment wise, I am not gettting a dl650 unless I can find one for under 3k. Sucks, but that is what I get for getting into credit card trouble a while ago.

·
Registered
654 Posts
i ALSO am all for getting a older bike to learn on set the price cheap then who care if you dump it or knock it over... although it you reall want to whole dual sport bike try getting an older dr350, or really any older dual sport bike to learn on... you can bnormally get them for not that much and they will be in decent shape and then when you decide to move on up to the wee you will have a bike that is better off road.... just a thought though...

·
Registered
386 Posts
As I said to my son - Don't do as I do, do as I say (in other words what I note below has nothing to do with what I did 30+ years ago, but it's what I've told my kid):

1) Stay within your budget
2) Smaller is better to learn with, is cheaper to run and insure
3) If its cheap, you aren't going to fret as much when (not if... when) you drop it.

Now run on out and have fun playing!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Figure I will update this thread...I am less than a month away from buying a bike. Right now my dilema is, new or used. I found a 2002 Kaw. Vulcan 750 for sale locally for 2500, it is in great condition as I have just looked at it. Starts right up, has new battery and tires. The other bike is on the condition that I can get credit for the bike and the dealership goes down on the price. The bike is a 2008 Honda Shadow 750, never been titled or off showroom floor. I first looked at the bike in Feb. and it was 6800. I went back about a month ago and it was down to 5999, I plan on low balling them at 4500 and see if it gets accepted (not likely) and then go up to what I was originally going to offer (5k). Should I get used and then buy new later?

BTW, here is the 2008 Shadow.

BTW, I debated getting a 250cc bike for a while and decided that I wanted to get a bike that I didn't have to get another when I was ready to get on the interstate or highway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a 250 ninja instead of a Wee strom 3 years ago when i was in your exact position and it turned out to be a great move. Aside from the valid dropping/cheap to run thing that everyone has mentioned, on a small bike you
1. Can relax and really learn how to ride it and
2. Can really have a lot of fun. It isn't like a small bike that is marginal for highway travel actually sucks to ride. My ninja was a blast and if finances had prevented me from buying a wee I would still be riding it and having a blast. If I could re do the experience the only thing I would change would be getting a small dual sport instead of the sporty ninja, so I could practice falling down in the dirt:), and if I could afford two bike I would have a small dual sport for keeps.

P.S. for the record the ninja is highway capable.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Change of plans...buying a used bike until I get more exp. Was riding my friends Harley today and didn't look through my turn low sided it. Damage is bent shift lever and brake lever. Glad I was going slow.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
That's good thinking. A used dual purpose bike especially will allow some dirt practice which teaches good skills and doesn't hurt as much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts