StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im about to buy the 2014 650 abs v strom, but im getting second thoughts since im 5/7 and im on my toes when im standing. Ill post a pic to get sugestions. I dont want to fall in a standing position, in a rainy day or manouveri g between cars in the traffic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Im gonna buy it tomorrow! Do you know if lowering the bike affect its performance in any way!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Seat height of new 650

Hi, im about to buy the 2014 650 abs v strom, but im getting second thoughts since im 5/7 and im on my toes when im standing. Ill post a pic to get sugestions. I dont want to fall in a standing position, in a rainy day or manouveri g between cars in the traffic.
Yes, they're tall, like all adventure bikes. Removing the seat rubbers is a good idea, dropping the forks through the triples up to an inch helps and lowering links in the rear. Less preload on forks and rear helps too when you are sitting on it. You do get used to the height. Like not stopping on sloped road shoulders or dips in the pavement like driveway entrances. The tradeoff is a comfy ride and moderate off-road capability. It's worth it:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Thicker soles on your boots help, taking the rubber cushions off bottom of seat drops it some (or cutting them in half), lowering links should get it down as far as you need it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'd suggest removing the bumpers and replacing with stick on furniture feet.

That means it's easy to restore to stock (if you decide to sell it) and the rubber furniture feet will protect the seat plastic. (Stop it wearing against the frame).

Pete

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm 5'9" and lowered my bike using the Kouba Links 3/4" (lowering the forks 3/4" also) and I've noticed no difference in handling before or after the links. With the stock seat I could get both feet flat on the ground but with my Terry Adcox seat I get the balls of both feet down. Here's the web address for the Kouba Links for the V-Strom.

Kouba Link

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm the same height as youself. Always more of a challenge while in running shoes. Haven't lowered anything on mine and don't plan too. You learn to ride and watch for obstacles that may present a problem, such as not pulling to the crest of the road when stopping. It's a awesome bike, don't let the seat height scare you away, many ways to fix or adjust. Good luck. :thumbup:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dirt bike method

Most dirt bikes are much higher than the DL. What works is to slide forward and off to one side, so that you get one foot flat on the ground when stopping. ( hooking one knee on the edge of the seat)

Down shift to first gear before you stop.

When you are taking off , let out the clutch etc. and as you pull away slide back into the middle of the seat.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm a 32" instep on a 2012 650. I lowered the bike with the 1 1/4" Kouba Links -- and consequently couldn't lower the forks quite enough to equalise. If I were to do it now - I'd go for the 3/4" links and lower the seat a bit by shaving the rubber blocks. All the same - the bike handles well & there isn't much balance difference between mine and my test ride on a stock L2.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Lower it the right way with a better shock that is adjustable. Lowering links screw up the preload.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I haven't had any issue with preload using soupy's performance adjustable links and sliding forks up in triple tree, lowered about an inch.
Quite frankly, height doesn't matter as much as inseam, my inseam is 27", if I could touch stock height like you do, I wouldn't of lowered it.

Btw, wear boots not sneakers, they always have a thicker soles.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm also 5'7" and have ridden two DL1000s over about 5 years without a problem. The photo of you sitting on the bike doesn't look like a problem. New bikes develop a bit of sag in a few weeks.

But do get some decent riding boots with some measure of ankle protection, and get in the habit of wearing them.

JET

1 - 16 of 16 Posts