StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Five of us took advantage of a near 70F day in Kentucky to get a little riding in today. We had 2 days of heavy rain last week that washed the salt away. Three BMW GSs, a Triumph Explorer and my Tenere. All comparable bikes in weight and horsepower. Two of us on Battlewings, one on TKC 70s, one on Mitas EO 7s and one on Heidenau Scouts.

We took off at 10A and were riding back-roads and twisties. The roads were mostly dry with some water crossing the pavement here and there and the usual dirt and mud in places from tractors using the roads to haul hay rolls to cattle.

Our group was on a popular section of motorcycle road that is relatively twisty with nice sweeping turns that goes through a gorge and over the Kentucky River. We were behaving ourselves when I looked in my mirror (I was lead) and 3 of the 5 bikes were missing. I got turned around and back-tracked a 1/4 mile or so to see the other 3 bikes/riders on the shoulder. The BMW with Heidenau tires (75% tread) let go mid turn with no warning. Luckily it was an outside turn and the bike slid on its cylinder and hit a guard rail as it slid to a stop. The rider following him said it looked like he hit oil, but we walked back to look. Nothing on the road to explain it. Pavement was dry, clean and in good shape. Rider and bike were a little skinned up but both fine to continue on.

I have heard these tires were sketchy when its wet....but decent in the dry. FYI and not meant to start a fight. My brother and several friends are using the Scouts. This is a new experience for us.

Be safe out there.....

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I watched my co-rider lose it on wet pavement with K60s but we were going slowly and in only a shallow turn. He caught it with his foot and the bike only had but a few scratches on the crash bar once it went down. It made me get the TKC70s instead at the time when I had my 650 because of it. I think the tire composition is so stiff to get high mileage that they become slick when wet on pavement.

They are known for this.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Whether the cause was the tires or not, still, it is Scary stuff.:yikes:

Only the good Lord knows what's around the bend.

Keep the rubber side DOWN everyone.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Oh its the tires. After my buddy fell he tried to make them slip and found out just how slippery they can be on the right wet paved surface. He stopped using them on wet pavement completely. They give out early. There are plenty of posted experiences with the same issue. The K60s are notorious on wet pavement.

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thanks for the post. No problems with the Mitas E0-7s?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just swapped out my Wee's K60's last week with Michelin Pilot road 4 Trail tires on both front and back because I'm always getting caught in the rain down here in Florida. It was like night and day with the grip moving to the Michelin's. Very happy with the new tires. Even more so after reading about your friend's experience with them. Stay Safe!

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
You may have gone from one of the worst wet grip pavement tires to one of the best IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
You may have gone from one of the worst wet grip pavement tires to one of the best IMO.
Had Pr4's on my '11 650. They stuck excellently, even and especially in the rain. For whatever reason though, I did not get great mileage out of the rear tire. I have always liked the OEM Bridgestone's, they perform well, and I get good mileage out of front and rear. Put on Shinko 705's front and rear 1000 miles ago due to everyone's great reviews including my dealer. Very happy with them. Perform well on dry and wet pavement. Very mild hum that is actually pleasing. Don't know their longevity yet, but for $150. front and rear, I was willing to take a chance.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Midas E0 7s were also on a GS and on one of our harder riders. He loves them and switched from Heidenaus. BUT, he also reported much lower lifespan....around 6,000 to 7,000 miles where he got near 9,000 on the common radials available.

My Tenere is on the BWs it came with but I am going back to Anakee 3s when the Wings are done. I like the BWs just fine but the A3 is better in gravel and as good on the wet.

All of us had pucker moments yesterday, but mostly from wet mud in the road in curves. When the water is flowing on asphalt its hard to see a layer of thin mud under it. It is like grease. I started just standing my bike up when I saw wet spots in curves if I could. It sneaks up on you so fast if you are riding any speed at all.

BUT, the Heidenaus let loose on dry clean roadway....this is what surprised us. No braking, no throttle, just a significant lean angle.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Those Shinko's are temping. Right - the question is do they get half the mileage at half the price meaning you have to change the tires twice as often which is a pain in the butt? They just might depending on the alternative tire you pick. My rear TKC70 was over 10,000 miles when I sold my 650 and there was a few thousand miles mileage left easily on it. I would much rather pay twice the price for twice the mileage but that is just me. There is always risk in having someone mess with your bike more frequently since I don't do tires although my local MotoTireUSA has been great and reasonable compared to the dealers and mail-order tire prices.

I have a list of about five tires under consideration for the first change on the new bike which is a few thousand miles (maybe three months) away. I had a lot of luck with the TKC70s on front and rear which some have not. I didn't get good mileage with the OEM on the 650.

Michelin Anakee 3's
Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs
Avon Trail Riders
Continental TKC70s
Shinko 705's

·
Vendor
5,258 Posts
I got about 5K on my 705 rear before they no longer real dual sport tread depth. Still OK for the street, but I'm ordering another rear because I expect the 705 front to last that long.

Decent tires, no real downside other than life. I really liked my Metzler tourances. I might go with a 705 Front and Tourance rear next time.

I will not be using the K60s based on these kinds of reports. A tire that gives out like that has no place on an adventure bike IMO.

·
Registered
725 Posts
From what I understand, some bike tire manufacturers are mixing compounds to get longer life on the center tread and keep good traction when leaned over. Maybe Heidenau is making the center compound too wide on their k60's?
I replaced the stock Trailwings with Battlewings when they were done on my '16. The BW's have been good all around for road touring, even in heavy rain on the highway etc. I'll be trying the Mitas E-07 this summer for some mixed paved and gravel touring, hopefully they'll be good i the rain too.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
After almost loosing the rear end on Haidenau's couple of times on wet in corner I said no more. Installed Anakee 3 and got the same mileage on them. After that had Shinko 705 but got much shorter mileage out of the rear. Less then Battlwings or Trailerwings. I don't want to change the rear tire every 4 months or so. No more 705. Glad your riding buddy is ok.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Everything I hear those are a very good 50/50 tire. No bad habits like the K60s. I think they are more aggressive than I need but definitely well liked. Less mileage than the K60s but better grip. Maybe 8k miles (rear) which is pretty good IMO for that aggressive of a tire. If I did more off-road they would be on the list.

Mitas E07's are getting mounted next for me.......

Reactions: joshuahilbig

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
I never push the K60s in the wet - I don;t push the Vstrom at all generally these days and the amazing wear life and suprb gravel stability make them my ongoing choice.
One rider I spoke to got 22,000 miles from his set , he noticed them on my Wee so we chatted.
I got 15,000 km before I sold that Wee and it easily passed safety.

The solid rubber bar down the centre provides the wear life and the risk in the wet. With ABS that risk is highly reduced and I can ride straight onto gravel with no squirming.
I suspect tire pressure has a lot to do with reliable grip. My Wee was always heavily loaded so I think the tire edges well in contact - big foot print. Lightly loaded with pressure on the high side I could see issues.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
As my last pair of K76s wore down, there was a very noticeable loss in wet weather grip. I could actually spin the rear one lug at a time. Locked up the front a few times as well in wet stops. Moral of that story is that, even though Heidenaus may be long lived, they lose their wet grip before the tread gives out. Probably the same in the dry but you notice it more in the wet. But that's the trade off for a long-lived tire.

Currently a Scout on the rear and a 76 on the front. Good wet traction while they're new.

Maybe try the Mitas next time round.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I ran one set of K60's on the '07 & they are at about 8K miles. Never had a problem on dry other than tar snakes. I push moderately in curves especially on knobbs when dry & don't push at all when wet. I'm running the E07 and a Mitas Getaway front and like them better than the K60's off road...on road I can't tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
I'm likely prejudiced as I'm running 606s on the KLR in Australia so one is very aware of skittish and doesn't need to be raining either.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Everything I hear those are a very good 50/50 tire. No bad habits like the K60s. I think they are more aggressive than I need but definitely well liked. Less mileage than the K60s but better grip. Maybe 8k miles (rear) which is pretty good IMO for that aggressive of a tire. If I did more off-road they would be on the list.
There are negatives for example front is not as good as rear, and they're just passable in sand and mud (comparing to TKC80 or 804/805). They lack lateral stability in loose and front has shallower thread so it will let go first.

But shorter thread also makes it better road tire and they especially Dakar go the distance. People who ran K60 (7 sets) are getting more miles out of E-07s.

For off-road worthy combo rear is a good match with front MC60, E-10, TKC80 or 804.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts