StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heidenau K60s purchased and had them mounted during the first week of July. They have about 2,000 miles on them at this time, the tread wear is very good. I have one issue I am very concerned about.

After less then 5 months, I am getting the amount of surface cracking and what is usually weather related wear as I see after several years... The tire in the front seems to be having the most issues. With regards to the cracks, they are on the patches that contact the road as well as deep part of the tread.

The rear is not showing cracks on the tread that contacts the road, but is showing surface cracking where the tread blocks meet the body of the tire..

I have attempted to contact the dealer where I purchased them and brought my wheels to have the tires mounted. But between my busy work schedule and most motorcycle shops limited hours we have not made contact. There line is busy or they are closed when I try to call them.

I have been running 36psi front and rear as specced by heidenau.

After I take pictures, I will try to post them or edit my original post.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Sounds defective. The K60 is very popular with the Tenere guys. My front has about 12K miles on it and it looks only half worn. I have over 8K on my current rear and it still has about 3mm before the wear bars.

I have seen no cracking, nor have I heard any reports from the other Tenere users.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, that is what I was thinking but I was not sure. Hopefully when I get in touch with the shop where I purchased them we can work something out... A small problem is the shop is 100 miles away... Wyoming... things are spread out...

Not sure why the rear crack is shiny in the photo, but it is certainly a crack in real life and these small cracks are popping up almost all along the tire. The front might not look that bad but but their is a large amount of these small fissures.

Mostly while the cracks are small, surface only I believe the large amount of them (showing up so soon) is very nerve racking... I have had tires weather crack and this looks like weather cracking to me just very rapid. Usually I see this after 2-3 years and way more miles then I am seeing here....

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
pic 2 rear. Cracks very shallow but frequent....

Overall happy with the tires performance on and off road, wet etc. I am not trying to bash the tires just thinking I got a weak tire or maybe Ozone, UV or something is killing these things really fast (which was not my experience with my previous tires on my other bikes).

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any thoughts now that the pictures are up??

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope Sunday is nicer then today, no idea what those cracks are from still... To bad the cowboys lost... Also went to saratoga today, can;t believe how hard it was snowing on the pass...Stopped to have a snowball fight with my fiance...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same thing on mine. I live in Laramie too. Shoot me an email [email protected]. Have 9k on my set of scouts and I thought those cracks were from rocks Haha. Sunday looks like a good weather day !
You ride a wee or a vee? I have the red wee with yann's skid plate, givi bars, and the k60s. Usually parked at UW where I work.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How do you guys like these tires? How do they handle in pavement and in the rain?

I want something with better off road characteristics than the OE Bridgestones, but I do not want to give up much on the pavement since that is where I send 80% of my riding.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
How do you guys like these tires? How do they handle in pavement and in the rain?

Runnin a Heide on the rear that I'm very happy with. Grips well in all conditions encountered. Only a few thousand miles so no idea on longevity. Does howl a bit. :beatnik:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've had no problems with mine in the rain, on pavement they handle good. A little squirrely on interstate at first but I adjusted pressure and have no problem with them now. Speeds over 75 they vibrate more than most tires but I can live with it. They are wearing very well so far.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
My very first ride ever on my K60s was 150 miles in pouring rain on the interstate. Absolutely no problem on that ride. Or any ride since.

I have over 12K on my front K60, and it's probably half worn. Shocking how long this tire is lasting .

I have over 8K on the current rear K60 that I installed just before a long trip. It still has about 2mm before hitting the wear bars. This is also the longest lasting rear tire I've ever used on any Wee, Vee or Tenere. With so little tread left I can feel it does not hook up as well off pavement when compared to my wife's Tenere with an Anakee. Have not noticed an issue on pavement, but will probably go ahead and switch back to my original rear K60.

Bottom line, I've done over 12K miles with K60s. They are the longest lasting, best off pavement tire I've ever used. I've had no problems with twisties, rain, highway, or anything else I threw at them. They are my new tire of choice.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My very first ride ever on my K60s was 150 miles in pouring rain on the interstate. Absolutely no problem on that ride. Or any ride since.

I have over 12K on my front K60, and it's probably half worn. Shocking how long this tire is lasting .

I have over 8K on the current rear K60 that I installed just before a long trip. It still has about 2mm before hitting the wear bars. This is also the longest lasting rear tire I've ever used on any Wee, Vee or Tenere. With so little tread left I can feel it does not hook up as well off pavement when compared to my wife's Tenere with an Anakee. Have not noticed an issue on pavement, but will probably go ahead and switch back to my original rear K60.

Bottom line, I've done over 12K miles with K60s. They are the longest lasting, best off pavement tire I've ever used. I've had no problems with twisties, rain, highway, or anything else I threw at them. They are my new tire of choice.
Are you running the K60s on both front and rear?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 10k on my k60s mostly loaded with only about 1500 of that dirt. Looks like I can get another 1k out of rear easy. They do well on all surfaces im o. They are loud And vibrate ! Near impossible to spoon on by hand because they are mighty beefy in the sidewalls.
I plan on getting another set of k60 next year for sure. Love these things.

I ride a yellow weestrom, with beat up crash bars and some stickers lol. Will look for your bike , think I have seen it maybe on 9th ?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I LOVED the Heide on the rear of my KLR650...did great on desert terrain, good enough on pavement. Based upon that experience, I wouldn't hesitate to try one on my DL650, although I'm no longer bombing through sometimes almost unbelievable desert terrain. I plan on being MUCH more sane on the DL!

I don't see the picture as indicative of a problem. As long as they don't chunk, and maintain good traction, I'd just continue to run them. I wish I had my KLR to compare and see if that looks the same as my tire, but, I don't.

·
Registered
813 Posts
4,000km on my K60's and I like 'em. But then this happened:

Tyre pressure (a bit low) combined with bouncing off rocks the cause. Tyre has been repaired and is back on the bike. Plenty of life left in it.

·
Registered
358 Posts

Thanks so much for taking the time to write up your experiences! I really appreciate the sharing of information, I love to research things as my budget doesn't really allow me to "learn the hard way" very quickly. Your time (posting) has saved me money! Again, thanks!

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Thanks so much for taking the time to write up your experiences! I really appreciate the sharing of information, I love to research things as my budget doesn't really allow me to "learn the hard way" very quickly. Your time (posting) has saved me money! Again, thanks!
A little update now that I've done 15K miles on them. I'm finding my wife's Anakee II's hookup better on a dry dirt/gravel road. I've just ordered by third K60 rear. This one I'm going to cut a notch in every lug in the center stripe. A friend of mine up in Newfoundland found that helped a lot with dry dirt road traction. The K60 is pretty good in the soft stuff, but on dry dirt roads it could be better.

Oh, and life of the tire has changed. My first rear went a long time, but that one had a lot of highway use. It was the tire I used on my 4,500+ mile ride to Newfoundland. This most recent K60 rear was dead at 6,500. But that one I used riding my style of riding. A lot more dirt, and a ton of power sliding killed the tire much faster than highway. Front tire at 15K and still no need to replace.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the cracks are no big deal in my pic? As to my take performance off road is great, road is a lot more vibration then I expected but it deceased substantially since they were new. Rain so so, I cross a very small concrete ditch patch turning off the main road into my neighborhood and I have had some scary experiences...nut sure if its just that patch of road though... they seem fine in the wet otherwise...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts