StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 120km's on them - so really early - but that 120 k's was 50k's to the nearest dirt road, riding up and down it, and back home.

Initially - just getting our of town - was nervous, not because they slid at all, but my old tires were pretty squared off so the initial tip in from the new ones was severe in comparison.

On dirt - which was fresh graded dirt - where new gravel hadn't been spread yet, so mostly dry hard packed clay. Quite a nice surface for anything but road tires.

Really hard to pick that it was dirt from the feel - and I prefered the K60's front and rear to TKC-80 front -any old tire at the back combo I've used in the past - no need to make an effort to keep the rear of the bike lined up with the front - given rear grip I could just let the rear hang out there because the grip was there to bring it back again.
The K60's worked better with the suspension on dirt as well - I litterally couldn't feel potholes and lumps in the road. Even when I got air off some humps the bike just landed again with no fuss at all.

The trip home was better than on the way out, the bike handles a bit differently than with Scorpion Trails - the rear end tends to hang out more, but handling and corner grip was fine.

Negatives
- some road noise at town speeds - drops away above 60kph.
- the vibrations from the front at low speed (i.e. coming to a stop at lights) feel like the ABS is kicking in. Since I usually back off the brakes when that happens - it's going to take some getting used to. Not a big deal, TKC-80's feel worse.

Second hand reports from the tire shop was that the riders of other beasts using these (KTM's, GS's) were pretty happy - they wear near as well as a road tire (Unlike TKC-80's) and are 'good' on and off road until end of life.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Pete, do some measurements of thread depth and let us know how they wear as time progress, i have been thinking a set of K60 scouts to try out when my current Trail Attack finishes.

Although over 10K on TA, they look less than half worn , so it could take a little while - Scorpion, Anakee 2 and TW only ever lasted around 10k for me.

How much did u pay for yours and where?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front new ~7.5mm, rear ~10mm.

Sorry, tread gaps are so wide that my calipers don't bridge them properly, so there's a reasonable room for error there.

I managed around 14k's out of the last Scorpions, but the front was probably a bit far gone when I changed them :).

I don't think you'll get that much out of the K60's despite the tread depth, and I can't see them worth using unless you plan to ride at least some dirt roads during their life ?.

I paid $480 fitted for the pair. Miami tires, Gold Coast. FWIW - he's out of rears until next month, one front left. If you want them, it pays to arrange it weeks in advance - he seems to have a stable source, but they are popular.

They aren't a cheap tire, but at that they'll be better than a TKC-80 (spooned on and off at need) if I get 8k's from the pair, I'll be over the moon if I get 12.

I've been using the Scorps because they are bearable off road while being good on. What I'm hoping for with the K60's is better off road and I'll tolerate a drop in road performance and life for that. Off road performance is at least a yes, at least for the mostly dry dirt roads I go down in a planned manner :).

(And I need to slow down on seal anyway - the L2 is just too fast now, it'll get expensive soon if I don't.)

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
i move back close to where i work - so MC will be more of a joy ride - looking to a bit more unsealed stuff - TA is way too nervous on any unpaved road - have a 6 day trip planned for late may - what tyres i get will determined how much unsealed stuff i do

price seem ok

·
Registered
15,528 Posts
I wanted to get the get a Heidenau but ended up with a Tourance.
A friend with a 1200GS has the K60's and his still look good with 7K miles on them.
He loves the way the work on the road and is looking forward to doing some serious dirt time with them.
I figure with a lighter bike like the Wee the tires may last even longer. The K60's definitely look the ADV profile...if you're profiling!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I put a set on my 03 vstrom 1000 last summer and am very happy with the performance on all road surfaces. However after only 3500 miles the rear is toast so I swapped it out with a K-76 and well see how that works with the K-60 front which is going well after about 200 miles. I'm sure the low mileage of my rear is due to riding style, my own weight ( 300 ) and the rough NC back roads I ride. But I was hoping to get a lot more after all the rave revues of long life that I read.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wet performance is excellent. I was a bit nervous initially, but once confidence built, no issues.

A lot better FEEL than TKC-80's in the wet at least - I never had a TKC-80 front slide out on me, but they certainly felt like they wanted to in the wet. No drama's with the K60's.

The ugly.

Braking down through 20kph is 'fun' with the vibrations at that speed.
Alternator whine type sound starts at 55kph, dissapears at 65kph. Not bad - but noticeable. The compensation, 60kph is my legal commute speed, don't need to look at the speedo now, just optimize for maximum whine ;)

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Have about 5500 on a rear K60 (Vee). Looks good for a couple more thou unless wear accelerates dramatically. :yesnod:

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have been using these K60s for a while now when I can get them. Over the past 12 months of travel I have clocked up 53,000kms

My first set lasted 25,000km and still had tread but as I was heading into uncharted territory I replaced them in Germany.

The second set, I still have the front tyre on, it is badly scalloped but will get me home, only another 1,000km at this stage,

The rear was severely worn on the ripio in Mongolia and I lost quite a lot of tread spinning along the corrugations. That tyre was replaced in Bangkok, it managed only 20,000km this time.

I now have an Anakee II as it was that or a TKC 80 and the 80 melts, so we shall see what happens as far as distance on this one.

The k60 is my tyre of choice from now on for ever :) The cost back home is a bit higher I know, but if I don't have to replace it as often, the cost factor is negligible.

The performance has been brilliant in the twisties, the wet and the dirt. I don't do mud but these are a road tyre anyway pretty much.

When the tyres square off, they can cause a howl, when I did Stelvio Pass, they could hear me coming and it wasn't all my howls of laughter either :)

Cheers from Malaysia
TravellingStrom

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, paid for already.

I had a close encounter of the furred kind today and all that front grip on a dirt road meant it was a near miss rather than "oh bugger". (And yes, the ABS worked as well ).

Pete

·
Registered
113 Posts
Had a couple close encounters the past week on the street. Indiana drivers are not ready for us to be out and are not paying attention. Almost got hit head on turning right when a guy pulled a u turn. One thing that I learned in this situation and the other is that the K60 rear seems to slide easily.:jawdrop: Street tires seem to grab better in a hard braking situation.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you run too high a pressure they'll slide. You'll see posts on Advrider about how badly they suck ;). You'd expect that with 42PSI in the rear.

The rear sidewall has 36PSI MAX written on it for a good reason, they are designed to run lower pressure than most other tyres because with that continuous rib down the centre and high pressure they are like a slick.

28F/34R was what my tyre guy recommended for mixed dirt/seal riding, and that's probably spot on.

I'm running the front a bit higher for seal only as it squirms less and turns a bit easier.

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
870 Posts
All my travel with these tyres were at F33 R44 but I did drop the pressure in the dirt of Mongolia.

I never had any sliding issues except when the rear was so squared off I was riding the twisties on the edge of the tyre, not an ideal situation and the back end did step out on occasion.

Pump em up high and ride em I say

Cheers
TS

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
You have an 09, it should have ABS so the tyre should not slide at all :?:
I the States ABS was an option in 09. Standard as of 2011. No 2010 models were sold here.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only 120km's on them - so really early - but that 120 k's was 50k's to the nearest dirt road, riding up and down it, and back home.

Initially - just getting our of town - was nervous, not because they slid at all, but my old tires were pretty squared off so the initial tip in from the new ones was severe in comparison.

On dirt - which was fresh graded dirt - where new gravel hadn't been spread yet, so mostly dry hard packed clay. Quite a nice surface for anything but road tires.

Really hard to pick that it was dirt from the feel - and I prefered the K60's front and rear to TKC-80 front -any old tire at the back combo I've used in the past - no need to make an effort to keep the rear of the bike lined up with the front - given rear grip I could just let the rear hang out there because the grip was there to bring it back again.
The K60's worked better with the suspension on dirt as well - I litterally couldn't feel potholes and lumps in the road. Even when I got air off some humps the bike just landed again with no fuss at all.

The trip home was better than on the way out, the bike handles a bit differently than with Scorpion Trails - the rear end tends to hang out more, but handling and corner grip was fine.

Negatives
- some road noise at town speeds - drops away above 60kph.
- the vibrations from the front at low speed (i.e. coming to a stop at lights) feel like the ABS is kicking in. Since I usually back off the brakes when that happens - it's going to take some getting used to. Not a big deal, TKC-80's feel worse.

Second hand reports from the tire shop was that the riders of other beasts using these (KTM's, GS's) were pretty happy - they wear near as well as a road tire (Unlike TKC-80's) and are 'good' on and off road until end of life.

Pete
~10,000k's, front is 4.3mm , rear 6.5. From memory down from 7mm /9mm new.

Still plenty of depth, but I'd guess I'll be replacing them in another 5000k's or less, guessing that the interior tread patterns in the middle of the tread blocks are EOL markers.

Shuddering coming to a stop went away at some point, still howl.

Really really do not like wet cattle grids, but that's really been the only fright.

No chicken strips front, about 1.5cm at the rear.

The front is very good on wet or dry roads, the rear does slide a bit but so far, it's been very predictable and controllable.

Front/rear wear rate looks pretty even to me, though I have worn down the front treads side of centre more than the cente row, and the rear is definately getting flat in the centre, no adverse effects on handling I've noticed.

Next time, I'll trim the hairs off day one and push them a bit harder from new to try and use more of the edges, they grip quite well both ends once you lean the bike over.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
cool - i must try them at some point, once my trail attack dies!!!!

- my Trail Attack is more than 18,000k old now, the front centre still has more than 2.5mm left and more on the sides and rear more than 4mm everywhere. My previous tyres all last only 10-12K only. Its handling drop off a bit once i pass 15,000km but i still manages to get get the front chicken strip down to 5mm and rear is about 2-3 mm on left and 5mm on right - i like left bends more than right.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are the Heidenau K60's considered DOT knobbies?
I need to put a pair of knobbies on for a ride my son and I want to do, and these sound good.
It sounds like they las t longer than the TKC 80's I am considering.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts