StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went and test rode an 09 Wee.
The steering felt very numb and heavy like it had a completely flat tire. It was low at 30 psi. No compressor around so going for another test in a few days. Besides tire pressure, anything else I should look at?
It's a fairly new tire, shinko dual sport, not sure which model.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,352 Posts
Yup a low pressure Shinko 705 will most certainly do that. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope that was the only issue hahaha. I read all these reviews about how flick able it is and I take it for a quick spin and it feels like I need power steering.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I swapped dl650's with a friend who had just mounted 705's on his. We were on an infamous twisty mountain road at the time. His bike definitely had heavier steering than my battle wing equipped strom. It took more effort to hold it at peg scraping lean angles than my bike but it stuck well and gave me the confidence to do so. His tires were not underinflated BTW.

I would use the Shinko 705's to assault pavement without reservation, but they do steer heavy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I took the bike as a trade this morning. Now that I corrected the tire pressures and have more seat time here is how I can explain what it feel like.

When you turn in, it wants to just drop. I'm not sure if that is the characteristics of the bike? Skinny tires?
I'm getting used to it, but just want to make sure it's normal.
Besides that, the bike is great, brakes are iffy but everything functions as it should.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
When you turn in, it wants to just drop.

When you turn in, it wants to just drop.
Taken literally - this is light steering, if anything. Its how a bike with new tire and adjusted steering stem bearings may feel after riding a bike with a square tire and tight steering stem bearings.

Maybe you can offer a different description that matches "heavy"?

Reactions: jakes01234

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taken literally - this is light steering, if anything. Its how a bike with new tire and adjusted steering stem bearings may feel after riding a bike with a square tire and tight steering stem bearings.

Maybe you can offer a different description that matches "heavy"?
Okay so let me think some more on it.... it drops in, then to get it back up seems heavy? Which coming off my 919 with brand new tires was not similar, it would always want to stay settled into the corner, not drop in more.
I think I'm just having a learning curve.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Check that ride height is matched front to rear. lowering the Strom is a popular mod that is easy to perform and easy to botch. If front is ignored when installing a longer link, the resulting rake change slows up the steering.

Maybe steering bearing adjustment is needed. Youtube is brimming over with how-to check and adjust vids.

Coming to an ADV bike from a race replica (GSXR) may require a new Strom rider to adjust his technique as to the effort needed to flick it in. Stroms should feel similarly agile compared to a sporting standard like the 919.

I'd say that a thorough chassis check up is due, but you should at least have a local Stromtrooper
swap bikes with you or (at least) take yours for a consultation ride.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You're used to a motorcycle with a lower center of gravity, a smaller diameter front tire and less rake and trail. The difference you've noticed is likely normal. The Strom is an Adventure tourer, not a sport bike. Even light off road duty benefits from more ground clearance, longer travel suspension, a larger diameter front tire and more rake and trail for the steering.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're used to a motorcycle with a lower center of gravity, a smaller diameter front tire and less rake and trail. The difference you've noticed is likely normal. The Strom is an Adventure tourer, not a sport bike. Even light off road duty benefits from more ground clearance, longer travel suspension, a larger diameter front tire and more rake and trail for the steering.
Understand that. Just wanted to make sure it was normal, it's been ten years since I was on a similar bike. Now to find the regional section and meet up with another person with a 650.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Just changing from good road tires (Pilot Road 4's) back to K60'a (Similar to Shinkos) was a shock. I felt like a circus clown on a TALL unicycle for at least half an hour. Wobbled out of the tire shops driveway sure I was going to crash.

In comparison, when I went over to PR4's in the first place it felt like I was riding a skateboard all of a sudden.

The reality is I prefer the K60's for the majority of the riding I do, they don't care about broken seal, roadworks, potholes or even taking the short way through an inside corner ;) but the bike does feel really weird initially.

·
Administrator
6,147 Posts
One thing nobody asked is if your Strom has the correct tire sizes fitted. It should have 110/80R19 and 150/70R17 at 36-40lbs and changing sizes would have an effect on how it handles.
That said though, your Strom is a far different bike from your old ride and it may just be a matter of recognising that and adapting.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Nope

These bikes want to drop because their mass is not centralized. They're known to be top heavy.
Its not that kind of a drop-in effect.

When I swapped my old front tire for a new front tire the front end felt like "dropped in" more easily. Now I have gotten used to it.

I also recently eased off the tapered roller bearings in my steering stem by an extra 1/8 turn (to OEM specs) , so it self-turns more easily (I had an issue with a light weave on the highway, it happened if a sufficiently strong perturbation nudged the front wheel).

·
Registered
364 Posts
My new to me Strom has the same thing. Takes extra effort to get it over, then leans too much causing me to have to correct. If you could imagine power steering in a car that has no assist at dead centre, then over assists beyond that.

I have 705's with the front tire at 33psi, rear is stock height, front lowered about a 1/2 inch. I thought it was the up/back handlebars, but now you have me wondering.

Haven't ridden another Strom for comparison, but good to know it's not just me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Love my little strom and my big bikes only see miles when the wife wants to ride.I sure am a motor mouth today as I take a needed break from work on my front wheel.See lots of you are not young people and like me like the light bikes now.I usually run at least two psi over for any kind of trip on mine.Low psi will make all parts of riding but gravel feel worse IMO.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Do you have an update, Jake?

This 3 minute video is a fairly good guide to diagnosing detented steering head bearings

1 - 20 of 22 Posts