StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a year of owning my 2012 Wee it was time for new tires with right at 13k on them. Purchased the tires on line and had them installed at the local dealership. I noticed right away that the steering and handling felt different but thought that it might have to do with having some curvature back on the tires. After riding it to work and back today (70 miles round trip) it just doesn't feel right.

Being that it felt fine before the tires I would think I could rule out steering neck bearings; maybe rear wheel alignment? When going through turns it feels like the rear wheel wants to come around to the outside if I don't heavily weight the outside peg. I'm not pushing it, going slower then normal to allowing for tire scrub.

I'm planning on calling the dealer tomorrow to inquire, but would like to hear some input on what the problem may be (other than not taking the bike to an indy shop).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add that tire air pressure is set to recommended. 33F and 36R.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
info needed

you should add full info on old and new tires, front and rear

full disclosure

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New tires are same as the originals, Bridgestone TW101 and TW152, 110/80R-19 and 150/70R-17.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
33 is too low a front pressure, and 36 rear is pushing it IMHO. I do 36 to 38 front and 40 at all times for the rear "regardless of tire make and model". Tires get installed backwards sometimes too, make sure that is not the case. Did you take the wheels in off bike, or did the dealer do everything?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer did everything. Time is a luxury that is of limited commodity for me lately, though right now I am rethinking that decision. I hardly ever ride two up and usually just have the top box on (carry my lunch and a thermos of coffee everyday). I weigh next to nothing, about 160 and with the temps pushing 100 here in SoCal today I don't want to push my pressure too high.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tire direction is correct, verified that when I checked the air pressure.

·
Registered
325 Posts
What Big B says... those pressures are too low and I think Suzi is a bit off on their recommendations....... pressures should be set when 70F. Don't worry, they wont blow up at 100F.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I've liked other brands at 33/36. I haven't owned Trailwings.

New tires always feel different from old tires. Give them more miles to get the true feel. And, it is possible that OE Trailwings are actually different from retail Trailwings. That is true for car tires and maybe also for these.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
i've always ran 36/42 on all my bikes (sport bikes and sport-tourers). makes for precise handling.

losen the pinch bolts and axle and bounce your front end up and down, then retighten everything. also losen rear axle and re-set alighnment. just because the dealer did the maintenance does not mean they did it correctly.

but...my bet is the air pressure.

edit for after thought: it is possible the dealer under inflated the tires on purpose. riding a new set of tires home with slow/sluggish performance would be safer than riding new hard/maneuverable tires until they are scrubbed in properly.

·
Registered
351 Posts
New tires are same as the originals, Bridgestone TW101 and TW152, 110/80R-19 and 150/70R-17.
Tire pressure is going to be everyones first guess. My second guess is still pressure.

Since you were riding the same bike on at least similar tires and know the pressure, I assume you checked it with the same gauge you were using on the old tires? Pressure gauges are not all created equal.

As an example; when I took my hyper out for the first time this year, it felt clumsy and definitely not hyper. We've moved and the gauge I found was a new one I had not used before. It read mid 20's on both wheels and I knew that was incorrect. It had to be nearly 10 psi less.

My compressor was buried so I rode it gingerly to a nearby gas station and used their coin powered pump. I inflated to an indicated 32/36. Now it felt a little twitchy (over-inflated), but ride-able.

After my ride, I located my old familiar gauge. It said mid 40's. It has a bleeder valve so I easily bled off about 10 psi and did another quick assessment ride.

The old magic was back. Agile steering and stable front end at full lean.

Third guess is dragging brake pads. Did the dealer install new pads...maybe?

Fourth, a mis-positioned spacer when re-installing wheels could also cause brake drag.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
It could also be the gyroscopic effect of suddenly replacing all the tread that took two years to remove.

·
Registered
15,246 Posts
The new Shinko front feels that way for me. No other tire had any ill handling affect. Still tracks well, just more work to initiate a turn.
That 36-40 tp is right to my way of thinking!

·
Registered
700 Posts
One other thought. Do you have a fork brace on the bike? I really think these should be loosened and retorqued after the front wheel is removed and replaced.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
The new Shinko front feels that way for me.
The Shinko had the most pronounced gyroscopic effect, followed by a Continental TKC80. I never installed a new Trailwing.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I felt the opposite. After changing front stock tire to Michelin Pilot Road 4, my steering went much lighter, to the point I got scared in first corner after leaving the tire shop.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I felt the opposite. After changing front stock tire to Michelin Pilot Road 4, my steering went much lighter, to the point I got scared in first corner after leaving the tire shop.
This is also true for me when I changed to the Pilot Road 4.

Quite the opposite of the Shinko.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I increased the air pressure last night to 36/41 and rechecked this morning. Road to work and still felt a little squirrelly. Stopped by the dealer on my way home and they loosened and re-aligned everything for me. It feels much better now. My guess is a combination of a few things were at play here; tire pressure, wheel alignment, that new tire feel? In any case the dealer did right by me and I'm pleased. Hopefully I can squeeze another 13k out of this set over the next year. Thank you all for your suggestions.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Good to hear!!!!! :thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts