StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a heavy rider (250lbs) and I can sink right to the bottom of a stock foam seat. On my current seat, I removed the rubber blocks from the underside and added taxi beads on the top. It's much more comfortable than I expected...800 miles a day with no monkey butt, but it looks like a$$. I'd like to try the gel seat, but I'd like to know the opinions of other heavy riders using it.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I'm 260 and the gel seat is perfect for me. Just the seat, no beads, with the rubber blocks installed. Last month I did 1250mi in 4 days. 500 friday(about 8.5hrs ride time), 150+- Saturday(6hrs), 150+- Sunday(6hrs), 450 Monday(7hrs). I had no problems at all, and would highly recommend the seat to anyone else.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
The taxi beads are the cat's ass. Cheap and effective. You might tell from my username that I'm not skinny and I really like the beads. I cut mine so it fits the seat really well. Doesn't even look all that bad. Not a good picture of it but you get the idea.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Stay away from the goofy looking anal beads, and go for the Alaskan Leather sheepskin pad, in combo with the gel seat.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
BAH!

You're just a hard-ass, skinny, punk. Let us soft, old, guys enjoy our beads!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The best first choice is a custom seat. I've tried beads and sheep (yikes!) and they improve things only slightly for me. The gel seat wasn't any better than a marginal improvement either. The Airhawk lets me do 800 mile days. The downside is that it looks like hell.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
BAH!

You're just a hard-ass, skinny, punk. Let us soft, old, guys enjoy our beads!

:mrgreen: :p Well...I am not quite skinny, but I am for sure a punk at times!!!
Beads..........LOL!!!!!:rolleyes: Some fuzzy dice hanging from the top of the windshield, might help with buffeting too!

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
You should see my curb feelers and white walls!

:mrgreen: :p Well...I am not quite skinny, but I am for sure a punk at times!!!
Beads..........LOL!!!!!:rolleyes: Some fuzzy dice hanging from the top of the windshield, might help with buffeting too!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heavy, you're so right about the beads...they are the best. I spent 17 hours in the saddle and it was hardly a problem. Next time I get some mad money I might try a gel seat. If anything, I can put the beads on the gel!

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
The beads would increase air flow too wouldnt they?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Anyone tried beads with sheepskin over the top, best of both worlds, (comfy and disguises beads for those of us who have a thing about being seen sitting on beads)

On second thoughts, you may just slip off the bike!

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
"Whistle....whistle....Taxi, taxi!!!!!!!:p You bead guys should paint your stroms yellow and put a telephone number on the tank. Might be a good way to make a few extra bucks.;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Where do you get these bead, and is it hard to shape them??

I just put a 1000 seat on my 650 but still need a little "lift" to get into a comfortable position. A long time ago I had a beaded seat cover on an old car I owned, and it was fantastic on a hot day.. Kept the air moving under my arse and kept the tender parts off the hot material.:p

-T

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can get taxi beads from an auto parts store or Wal-mart for about $8. The fishing line that holds it all together is woven in a way that it will fall apart if you cut the wrong spots. Just measure off a nice square for your seat and carefully un-weave the extra beads and tie off the ends.

The trick to shaping the beads is to use a dremel tool and a flat-head screwdriver. Tie it down to the seat and allow the beads to bunch up naturally. It should be obvious what beads need to be removed. Dremel the bead lengthwise, stick the screwdriver in the cut, and turn. It'll pop right out. Once you're done, use some fishing line and weave the section back together. That way, you can take it off the seat and it won't fall apart in your hands.

You can see how it shapes to the seat from this pic. http://picasaweb.google.com/bobosmite/MotorcyclePics/photo#5000607767045275666

M

·
0 Posts
I bought a Corbin Canyon seat and get the best of both worlds. No monkey butt, and I don't have beads on my bike. Beads are for hippies!

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Its interesting to see all the threads about changing seats. I'm running a stock 650 seat on my 1000 and the only change I make is to use the beads for long trips. My wife and I rode to Western Canada this summer and, by the end of an 8 hour day, my butt would be getting tired but the beads alone were sufficient to keep the monkey butt at bay. I'm still considering a Sargent, or other, seat but that is just to try and improve things for my wife. She was using a 3" thick slab of high-density foam over the stock seat and she still couldn't last more than an hour before she needed a break.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts