StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I load up pretty good when I tour with camping stuff. Im also 5'11" @ 285.

Any input to offer would be great. I'd love to have good ground clearance when loaded.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Rick from Cogent makes custom springs for the front, I have a set and they are definitely stouter than stock.

YOu will have to call them about the rear shock.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K. Thanks! I'll search for him. I was also looking at the touratech set.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I load up pretty good when I tour with camping stuff. Im also 5'11" @ 285.

Any input to offer would be great. I'd love to have good ground clearance when loaded.
I was looking at http://www.progressivesuspension.com/

I used progressivesuspension on my klr650 (front and rear) with good results and plenty of of adjustment left over. The only problem right now is the currency exchange value between Canada and the US.

So for the time being I will keep using the OEM.

PS I am 6' @ 240.

Brian

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was looking at http://www.progressivesuspension.com/

I used progressivesuspension on my klr650 (front and rear) with good results and plenty of of adjustment left over. The only problem right now is the currency exchange value between Canada and the US.

So for the time being I will keep using the OEM.

PS I am 6' @ 240.

Brian
The bike comes stock with progressive rate springs in it, you dont really have enough suspension travel to make them worth while, once you up in the weight department linear rate springs just work so much better.

Just my .02

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Cogent Moab shock on my KLR. I would recommend it to anyone, quality product for this application.

For the DL1000, I would recommend Ohlins rear shock. I've have one on my Busa for years now, and you can't beat the quality, rider adjustments, rider feedback, ability to respring to your weight requirements. Hands down I believe the way to go especially for touring and a bit of off road.

As far as the forks, I believe Suzuki did a wonderful job with their OEM inverted forks. I'm guessing at this point, unless one is rerally loading up on weight, race tech gold valves maybe the way to go.

·
Administrator
13,739 Posts
Op:

Have you ridden your bike yet? Why do you feel you need stiffer springs? I was only about 25 lbs when I got my 2015 DL1000 and wa amazed that I didn't feel overwhelming need for stiffer springs. Have you set your sag yet?

..Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Tom.

Yup. I've put 200 Kms on it last week. I ride with the preload maxed out and I'm empty. With a passenger (which would be equal to my touring load weight) I find it way soft and I loose quite a bit of clearance.

I prefer a stiffer ride in general. I think the front is ok as is for now but the rear needs to be beefed up......

Reactions: LittleMike

·
Registered
67 Posts
Im with Stromit here I run with rear at max preload all the time have too. Have talked with Cogent $$$, Elka say they will have a shock this season$$$, Touratech's Hyperpro shock is still our only available option right now $$$.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Touratech's are way too expensive in my opinion. Call Ohlins USA and ask them when they will have a fitment for the 2014 Gen 2 DL1000, they make a fine product. Hopefully that will give us 2 very good choices Ohlins + Cogent

·
Registered
251 Posts
Check out adventure power sports.He does a full rebuild with custom valving and a heavier spring for about $350. Another option is Penske shocks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts