StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to round out my heated gear set up. Currently have the 90 watt jacket liner and carbon heated gloves from warm-n-safe.

Either the gerbing insoles or a set of heated socks. What do y'all recommend? Why?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,759 Posts
Warm socks and boots make more sense to me, I have never felt the need for anything heated on my feet.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I use socks for trips over an hour near freezing. I find insulated boots awkward for using foot controls.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I bought insoles from Gerbings. In freezing temperatures the toes that get cold. If used with gloves, they both regulated from same knob. Warm for feet, cold for hands, good for hands, burnt heels. Don't ask me how I know... So, I use heated grips in conjunction with heated gloves and insoles. I don't know about socks though, you only have the front and top that's getting cold. Then, you can change socks every day if you want, not the heated ones.

·
38,103 Posts
The heated socks are worn over other socks. I wear mine over a pair of light merino wool socks and only change the latter. Running socks, gloves and grips on one controller and a jacket liner on another works great.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
I lean toward the "layer-up" camp. In case of bike/ electrical problems you are still dressed for the cold. Ride with wool socks and Alpinestars Scout Boots in the 20's with no problem. Course if you are commuting to work layering up complicates things. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I can't stand the feel of the wires in heated socks. I like the Gerbing insoles, but you have to harness yourself when you get dressed for the day.

·
38,103 Posts
Yeah. The socks have to be arranged just right or the wires are a pain.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On a long, properly cold ride, my toes get legitimately cold.

I took the heated gear out for a shakedown today, and I think all I really need for full happiness is some way to warm my tootsies.

·
Registered
15,732 Posts
I tried a pair of Gerbing insoles during a 20% off sale. Unfortunately the insoles made the boots too tight. Use of them would require new larger boots. I was so hoping they would because at less than 30 degrees the toes get unhappy after awhile.

The over socks don't seem to cause binding in your regular boots?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i recommend the sox. the insoles are nice but its a real pain to wire into pants after you put your Boots on. with sox you would already have them on before you put your pants on.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
I tried a pair of Gerbing insoles during a 20% off sale. Unfortunately the insoles made the boots too tight. Use of them would require new larger boots. I was so hoping they would because at less than 30 degrees the toes get unhappy after awhile.

The over socks don't seem to cause binding in your regular boots?
I'm assuming you removed the original insoles from the boots before putting in the Gerbing's insoles...

When I bought my Alpinestar gortex rain boots, I was purposely looking for a pair of boots with removable insoles. (My previous boots had non-removable insoles.) I find the Alpinestar insoles and the Gerbing's insoles are pretty much the same thickness and equally comfortable. I wear the boots all day at work. I did wear through a pair of lead wires after a season of wearing and walking in them, however, but a simple solder and shrink wrap job has held up well. I'll buy another pair of insoles when these ones are done. I should get at least two winters out of them (that's approximately 2000 hours for me).

I like the Gerbing's insoles but I also run Gerbing's pants which makes hook up simple (insoles connect to pants).

I do find that in serious cold and continuous high-speed riding my toes still get a little chilled. But for commuting, they're great.

I haven't tried the socks, so can't comment on them.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I like the insoles better. I never plan on walking a whole lot with heated socks .. but it seems I do periodically and I find the wires really are uncomfortable.

However, I do have one set of somewhat large boots and as long as it isn't raining / snowing I just wear them with toe warmers you can get from Walgreens, Walmart or Tractor Supply etc. I don't wear my Waterproof boots because I find they don't let enough air in to activate the toe warmers.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have the Gerbing insoles and like them so far. They are substantially thicker than the insoles in my Sidi boots, but they are practically the same thickness as the insoles in my Cruiserworks boots. I have only one minor complaint, that is I would prefer only the front portion of the insole to be heated. I use a Y-cable to connect them to a dedicated Heat Troller circuit, since I have no heated pants. I have not tried heated socks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm running gloves and jacket on the firstgear dual channel controller at the moment. Would it be more appropriate to run this with the jacket, or with the gloves? There seem to be a number of comments that indicate that the insoles and socks get quite a bit hotter than the gloves and jacket do...

Not wanting to burn myself, or freeze the body parts in the linked pieces of gear (if sharing a circuit), I'm also hoping I wouldn't need yet another heat-troller.

·
38,103 Posts
I'm running gloves and jacket on the firstgear dual channel controller at the moment. Would it be more appropriate to run this with the jacket, or with the gloves?
It's a personal choice. I ride with a large windscreen in the winter that does pretty well at keeping my torso out of the wind stream. I use the jacket liner on one troller with gloves, grips and socks on the other, usually at a higher setting. If my feet got too warm, I'd run the socks with the jacket liner. A little use will indicate the best way to balance things. You may prefer gloves and jacket on one troller with socks on the other for example.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can understand the Sorels recommendation, but I've got riding boots that are purpose-made, and that I happen to like the comfort and protection of... I think I've saved myself a broken bone or two from wearing CE-rated boots.

I guess I'll just try a few combinations, and worst case, I can just wire the jacket in or the boots in based on what the conditions turn out to be... it's just one pigtail/plug in the pocket that has to get re-routed.

·
Administrator
17,759 Posts
Don't ride when that cold.:fineprint:

·
Registered
22,342 Posts
I can understand the Sorels recommendation, but I've got riding boots that are purpose-made, and that I happen to like the comfort and protection of..
if its cold enuf to consider heat, frostite is your #1 safety concern

I'm the first to admit Sorel 1964s don't have the best ankle support, on the other hand, the thick felt insulation provides as much impact if not more protection as the armor in bike specific boots

the biggest problem with riding with Sorels is that shifter modification may be required

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts