StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good place to tap in for power for heated hand grips. I see on the wiring diagram that there is supposed to be a plug already there for them but I looked all around all the wiring by the handlebars and forks and under the seat and I can't find it. Anybody know where to look for it? It's supposed to be a connector with an orange wire with a green stripe and a black wire with a white stripe

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ditto on that, it's there behind the radiator with not much slack so you need to drop the radiator forward. I have taken off the side fairings and such a bunch of times for various reasons and that makes getting to it a lot easier as well.

My heated grips (Hot Grips) were done by the previous owner and he just crimped into a fused wire (not sure which one). I've left it at that and have no issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Get down on the ground on the left side of the bike, you just may be able to see the plug behind the radiator and be able to get to it without taking anything off. Some people have been lucky to have a bit more slack than others and can get to it without taking the whole bike apart. I was able to plug in an EasternBeaver HeatedGrip harness into mine with a pair of kneedlenose without having to remove anything from the bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a connector to plug into that connector?

I'd like to tap into it for my power outlet port for my GPS....

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I was able to reach the connector without any disassembly, though it took about 15 minutes of concerted looking to find it in the first place. It was taped to another bundle, so I had to cut the electrical tape to free it up enough to get the necessary angle to reach it with the horn plug. Using a pair of long needle nose pliers, I was able to hold it while pressing the horn plug in.

Using this plug is really the best way to go for heated grips because it's relatively easy and the circuit is keyed, so if you forget to turn off your heated grips, they won't drain the battery. I think heated grips are wonderful. I've only recently installed mine and already used them twice. It's summertime in Vegas and believe it or not, I'm not carrying heated gloves (because I don't own a pair, but not likely to be carrying them around in the summer time if I did). So I ride up to the mountains, from 2,400 ft to 8,400 ft elevation and guess what - it's cold! Heated grips save the day because they're right there when you need them. I'm not saying they would keep your hands warmer than heated gloves, but they keep your hands a darned sight warmer than no heated gloves, no matter the season.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a connector to plug into that connector?

I'd like to tap into it for my power outlet port for my GPS....
Down in the same area, taped to the main wire bundle, there's another unused connector, white with a black cap on it, that is a keyed power source. There's another one tucked up in the fairing, and I believe there's one near the rear of the bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Down in the same area, taped to the main wire bundle, there's another unused connector, white with a black cap on it, that is a keyed power source. There's another one tucked up in the fairing, and I believe there's one near the rear of the bike.

Good to know, Thanks :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used the Eastern Beaver Rear Brake Connector Relay Switching Adaptor to trip the relay hooked up to a fuse box under the seat. I went this rout as it was about the same price as the horn lead, but way easier to get to. If you think your going to add more electrics I would mount a fuse box first and then wire everything up to that. I went the BlueSea route but there are allot of options for fuse boxes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts