StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the Suzuki oem heated grips or hand guard? After this mornings ride I decided to make these my first upgrade. Just curious if they are any good or should I look for aftermarket? Thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I put the oem handguards on my wife's first strom which was a Wee. Handguards are fine but are definitely not for anything but deflecting the wind. They fit our purposes though.

I'd look at the aftermarket for hand warmers. I put on the mylar heaters under the grip but if I had it to do over I would have gotten the Oxford grips. Much better quality IMHO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the OEM handguards with Oxford grips and a Heat-Troller. I have no complaints. I know they are not real barkbusters, but they provide the protection I need for this type of bike.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have the OEM handguards with Oxford grips and a Heat-Troller. I have no complaints. I know they are not real barkbusters, but they provide the protection I need for this type of bike.
I have this exact same setup and am extremely pleased with it. I don't ride my Wee offroad, so the OEM handguards are enough for my needs, and the Oxfords with the heat-troller are simply amazing.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If you drop the bike, the oem handguards will not save your controls.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have the OEM handguards and Hot Grips heated grips. This is my fourth bike with Hot Grips. I like them because the larger diameter fits my hand better than some of the smaller diameter grips.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've got some sort of guards, oem style, and the oxfords. The heated grips will from now on be the FIRST mod I do any bike I ever own!

I was hit by a car back in Sept. and hit the ground going 45mph. the guards may not be barkbusters but they didn't break and neither did my levers. All I had to do was straighten up a mirror and "re-square" one of my Jesse boxes.

I'd buy the cheap guards from ebay and some oxfords. Perfect setup in my opinion!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have the OEM heated grips and the OEM handguards.

The OEM handguards are fine, and are relatively inexpensive. They are for breaking the wind - and you know how great breaking wind can be. If you want protection from more than the weather, look at the Barkbuster kit on the Twisted Throttle website. The Barkbusters appear to provide a little less weather protection but with the aluminum stay, they will provide significantly more protection to your hands and controls.

The OEM heated grips work fine, but they're ridiculously expensive for what they are. They install quickly and easily when you eventually find the connector behind the rad. Plenty of folks here don't like them. If you go the OEM route, wrap some electrical tape or some other insulator around the left handlebar before installing that grip to avoid losing heat inside away from your hands.

If I had to do it again, however, I would buy the Oxford kit for several hundred dollars less than the OEM kit. They look almost the same and are said to function as well or better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts