StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Advice on heated grips for a new V-strom 650 please (or re-direct)

Suzuki or aftermarket?

Thanks much,

BW

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Suzuki's are overpriced and tend to have problems. Oxfords are good now that the controller has been upgraded but I'd run them off a fuse block rather than direct to the battery. I mentioned using a wrap around like Symtec for ATVs that has the same heat level on each side and putting Grip Puppies over them. My gloves have plastic sliders that tear up Grip Puppies now though. I think I would go with HotGrips and a Warm and Safe Heat Troller like my present bike.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
The previous owner put Hotgrips on my bike, but I notice the rubber is very soft. When I started riding it in March, the grips already had quite a bit of rubber missing and when I tried to put a Cramp Buster on in June, it took the grip material off and exposed the element. I don't know how old they are and how much previous use they've had, but I just ordered in a set of the Oxford's Sport version. They look like they will be more durable, but I don't know.

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I use these Symtec heaters, and I've installed several sets for friends. Love 'em.

Symtec Motorcycle Grip Heater Kit w/round rocker switch - Motorcycle Parts and Accessories for the Sport Touring Enthusiast at Motorcycle Accessories from California Sport Touring, Inc.

I have a set of Hot Grips on my GS850, and I don't really like them -- the Symtecs are a bit warmer and I can use whatever grips I like instead of being stuck with the hard rubber. Plus, the Hot Grips are at least twice as expensive, and the wiring is messy since you have to find someplace for the stupid resistor... :furious:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I use these Symtec heaters, and I've installed several sets for friends. Love 'em.
That's the same ones that I've got on mine.
I've had them on for about 2 years now, and I'm really happy with them.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I have enough of a rasslin' match getting grips on--yes, sometimes I get the compressed air nozzle held just right and they finally slip on. How do you get grips on over Symtec heating elements without damaging the elements?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Suzuki's are overpriced and tend to have problems. Oxfords are good now that the controller has been upgraded but I'd run them off a fuse block rather than direct to the battery. I mentioned using a wrap around like Symtec for ATVs that has the same heat level on each side and putting Grip Puppies over them. My gloves have plastic sliders that tear up Grip Puppies now though. I think I would go with HotGrips and a Warm and Safe Heat Troller like my present bike.
I just installed the Symtecs ATV heat wraps (210007 RR from Powersport Superstore via Amazon) over my stock grips and under my grip puppys. I have small hands and was concerned that they would add too much thickness. But the size seems to be fine - it seems to have added very little thickness. The grip puppys came off easily using compressed air and a little soapy water.

I used the Ron Ayres horn plug. A little pricy with shipping, but convenient.

I like this setup - thanks for all of the suggestions.

And I LOVE the heated grips! They don't solve all my cold weather problems, but sure are nice to have. Should be standard on all bikes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I installed a set of Oxford grips with the new controller. They are fairly simple to install (did not need to remove the tank, but I did anyways) and get super hot. I usually leave them at 30% and my palms are nice and warm, if I don't use heated gloves. 40% if it is really nippy out. A very nice upgrade for around $80 - they are high quality and do not look out of place on the bike; make sure to get the touring style with open ends for our bar end weights.

Here is a link:

Oxford Heaterz Heated Motorcycle Handlebar Grips for 7/8-inch Diameter Handlebars (Touring Style) - OXF.26.0695 : TwistedThrottle.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Power plug near radiator?

I am told there is a swiched power tap near the radiator just for heated grips.
Has any one found it? I guess you need to remove some plastic and loosen the radiator to find it. I have the Oxfords and am very happy with them but would like to get power from some where other than the battery.

·
38,103 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts