StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put Oxfords on my Africa Twin. They worked great, no complaints with their function. What I didn’t like was the diameter of the grips being so big. Wouldn’t think it would matter but it never did feel right. Is there any other brand that has a slimmer heated grip? If not I was going to heated gloves but there is a post about that and not a lot of positive experience.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I put Oxfords on my Africa Twin. They worked great, no complaints with their function. What I didn’t like was the diameter of the grips being so big. Wouldn’t think it would matter but it never did feel right. Is there any other brand that has a slimmer heated grip? If not I was going to heated gloves but there is a post about that and not a lot of positive experience.
My Powerlets are actually glove LINERS. The only time there is an issue is when my waterproof gloves I wear on the OUTSIDE stop being waterproof in sustained heavy rain. I'll have some extra large blue nitrile gloves in the bags for that from now on (put them OVER the liners and INSIDE the actual gloves). I am wearing them a lot lately. Temps are mostly at or below freezing here now (apart from today). If you went this route you'd want to go a size bigger on your outer gloves.

This was also on my Trophy (no hand guards).

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think Oxford shows the outside diameter as well as the length on their website for their various grips. If not, you might call their customer service and ask. They only have 3 or 4 models so you should be able to get all the info quickly. There are heating elements available that are cheap compared to the whole grip kit that fit under your choice of grips. Never used these so i know nothing about their durability.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bikemaster heated grips are smaller in diameter. I have the digital volt meter readout version on my 650. The left doesn't heat as well as the right but I've gotten used to it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Never thought about the diameter of my Oxfords, they don't feel obtrusive but now you've got me thinking...
Regardless, they're staying, one of the most useful farkles IMHO

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think the thing with Oxford's is that no other grip solution is nearly as good, so you will forever be disappointed. Gloves might be a different story, but I would imagine if you don't like the feel of a slightly larger grip, you won't like the feel of a heated glove. I could be very wrong about this.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Strange, I don't recall the Oxford heated grips I put on my Fazer 8 being noticeably different in diameter from the stock grips. I used their "Sport" grips at the time, which are a little harder than the stock ones, and have a pretty aggressive pattern on them. Are some of their other models considerably thicker, I wonder?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glove are not that long lasting and I prefer the grips on the bike. You can’t leave the grips at home by mistake.
I have no problem with the size and it very comfortable for me.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have foam grips on my Trophy - have for years, even the long, fast trips. They are larger diameter than stock and I like them a LOT more. I find larger diameter more comfortable.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Super Moderator
13,100 Posts
I ride all year round (when there is not snow or ice on the roads) down to -18°c/ 0°f

I had heated grips on my 2006 DL650 for about 200,000 km (about 125,000 miles)

When I got my 2012 DL650 I ordered a set of heated grips and also started using heated Gloves. The gloves worked so well I didn't bother putting on the heated grips. Rode that bike for 139,500+km / 86,700 miles. Never missed the heated grips.

I rode my 2015 DL1000 without heated grips for about 200,000 km / 125,000 miles. Then I thought since I had heated gloves, jacket, socks and seat why not install the heated grips that I had sitting in the bike box?

So I did and rather enjoy them but would point out that if I had to have one or the other and was going to ride in actual cold weather (as I do) there is no contest, Heated gloves are MUCH better than heated grips by themselves.

..Tom

·
Registered
741 Posts
So I did and rather enjoy them but would point out that if I had to have one or the other and was going to ride in actual cold weather (as I do) there is no contest, Heated gloves are MUCH better than heated grips by themselves.

..Tom
Tom has a good point, in dedicated cold weather riding you can't beat heat close to your skin.

I think the vast majority of heated grips use is not in cold weather. I have often used my grips in the middle of summer finding myself up high in the mountains wearing summer gloves. I would never have packed my heated gear on a day like that, but the grips sure were nice in that case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts