StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install some heated grips. My concern is the length of the grips. I really like the Koso grips with integrated controller. They look as though they might be too long. I have Tusk Barkbusters. Looks as though they can be trimmed to about 4.9 inches. Still too long.
Oxford sports look like they can be trimmed down to about 4 1/2. I need about 4.6 to 4.7.
Anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've put 4 sets of Oxford touring grips on 4 different 2nd Gen Wees. They are 4.72" long and work great with the Suzuki hand guards. Not sure if there is a difference on your hand guards. I like the Oxfords; nice grips, easy to install, easy to use controller and they work very well.

Reactions: 2thDr

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
We installed the Oxford Touring heated grips with the Suzuki hand guards.

We have since swapped to Bark Buster hand guards and didn't have to trim the grips with either hand guards.

Cheers

·
Registered
387 Posts
+1 on the Oxford TOURING heated grips for the Vee 2. Oxfords come in three grip styles, with differing patterns, but more importantly, they are all different in length. The Touring grip length is exactly the same as stock grips. Sure, you can trim the longer ones, but why? I put grip puppies over them anyways. One lesson learned, I installed with grip glue,my throttle grip flush with the throttle tube end, lining up perfectly with my Kaoko throttle lock. Worked perfectly until The Oxfords fired up on high heat, expanded from the heat and the friction ring of the Kaoko unintentionally solidly engaged to the point of a safety hazard. Crap. I just removed the Kaoko and called it a day, as I hadn't really used it much over the last 10,000 miles anyways. Have the BarkBuster Storms installed also. Always something to screw up an otherwise perfect install! Ride hard!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I have oxfords with BarkBusters and the oxfords did not require trimming.

In fact they could have been left longer than the original grips as they fit over the spacers supplied by BB.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like oxfords are the way to go. Think I like the sport ones, as they are the shortest. The heat controller is on the left side? Need to figure out where to mount it. Have a switch for LEDs mounted on left side already..... kind of he reason I liked the Koso grips. Very nice OEM look with out a separate controller.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
The sports are a softer grip, the adventure grips have the holes cut for the hand guards.

The control can go where you like, the left is most convenient for adjusting while on the move.

I mounted mine on the face of the fairing, it is not like you spend much time playing with them so anywhere that you can see them and is within reach will work.

I fitted them directly to the battery as recommended by Oxford and they work as advertised.

If you do decide to trim them, after cutting to the desired length use a grinder to shape the end of the grip for a factory look before gluing in place.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good advice. Maybe I'll go with touring then. I'll buy a double perch plate for right mirror from twisted throttle.

·
Registered
162 Posts
+1 for for the Oxfords and I can confirm that that "Touring" version is the EXACT same size as the stock grips. NO trimming necessary!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Sounds like oxfords are the way to go. ... The heat controller is on the left side? Need to figure out where to mount it.
+1 on the Oxfords.
I mounted my controller on the dash (V2). I can say that after a short while I decided that I was not adjusting the temperature very often and that the controller didn't deserve any of the limited left-thumb-realestate. If I had a 650 I would consider mounting it inside the hand guard shield.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Oxford Adventure model does need trimming. Duh, I didn't think to measure or inquire to online seller, but already had my grips off. They turned out fine and work great.

Sp56

·
Registered
613 Posts
Touring Oxfords with BarkBuster Storms. Perfect fit, no trimming as others have said. One thing to note...If you have an aluminum throttle tube like the G2 Throttle Tamer, you will likely notice that the right grip doesn't feel as warm. I'm assuming the aluminum is acting as a heat sink.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Haven't used the Oxfords, but had OEMs installed when I got the bike 2 yrs ago. Couldn't be more satisfied with them-multiple heat settings on easy to reach controller on left handlebar. On high they almost always get too hot and I have to back them down.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You're lucky. OEM grips are much more expensive than aftermarket grips and have a high failure rate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're lucky. OEM grips are much more expensive than aftermarket grips and have a high failure rate.
My new-to-me '12 Wee came with OEM heated grips and I'm pretty disappointed with them. Not much heat and very uneven, I assume due to partial failure.

I have the Kosos on another bike. I love having the controller in the left grip and like the feel of them. Only complaint, they could put out a bit more heat.

I'm leaning toward ditching the OEM grips on my Wee. Haven't decided what to replace them with yet. Probably go with the Oxfords. Everybody seems to love them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
"Can you take a picture? Did you have to trim?"
Rather than trim , I backed out the bar end weights a very small amount on the throttle side. Less than 1/8". Can't post pix but I could email or text them. I have to agree with SBC123 about the heat. Oxfords and Hotgrips are definitely hotter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts