StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your experiences with heated grips - any particularly good brands or ones to stay away from? Any issues with Barkbusters Storm handguards? I may have trouble removing them from the bar ends. I'm assuming if I remove the bolt, the retainer nut will be hopelessly lost inside the bar?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Don't remove the bolt. Loosen it no more than 1/2 inch and wiggle the entire assembly out.

Eschew the Suzuki brand grips. I use HotGrips brand grips and Warm & Safe heat controllers. I've seen no complaints and have none myself. Oxfords are good grips but the older controllers were flaky.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I prefer electric heated gloves over heated grips.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I prefer electric heated gloves over heated grips.
I like both but the gloves do the best job. But you won't leave the heated grips at home and wish you had them later.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have Oxford Hot Hands Carbon, which are velcro wrap arounds that fit over your existing grips (no need to remove bar ends). I have just been through snowfields, and they worked well. I live in generally a hot part of Australia, and don't need hot grips most of the year, and at $100AUD, they were a better option than Suzuki items at over $500AUD. The Carbon grips have a Hi/Lo switch, and the only gripe I had was that Hi got quite hot, however I then switched to the Lo setting to maintain the heat.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
I had Saito grips on my bike when i got it. German made. Still available if willing to pay the overseas shipping. The grips were excellent quality but the controller blew up on me and they didn't sell just a controller, so i switched to Oxfords. Happy so far.

Heated grips are great because they are always ready to use, permanently wired in etc. Disadvantage is they only heat the palm of your hands.

Heated gloves will heat your whole hand, but then they are bulky and you have to plug/unplug them each time you need them. Possible to forget them or not have them when you suddenly realize your hands are cold.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Gloves will do the best job, but they won't work for me. My hands will sweat too easily with them.
I've used the SYMTEC under grip type on the last two bikes. When it gets into the 30s I put the hippo hands on.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Oxford Hot Hands for me. If you do get heated gloves ensure you get a switch or heat controller. Just plugging them in and going for a long ride will result in burns on your hands. The heat coils will always be in the same spot, and you might not be able to pull over fast enough to unplug them!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Heated grips

If you are worried about removing you present grips there are sever good threads on methods others have used.Compressed air worked for me. A little air under the grip ,off it came. I like my Oxfords but find the temperature indicator lights hard to see in sunlight. Do make sure you check the throttle side is free moving before starting the engine and once again before riding.cheers Doug

·
Registered
299 Posts
I like both but the gloves do the best job. But you won't leave the heated grips at home and wish you had them later.
greywolf-

that's funny!

:yesnod:

ymmv

be well.

rob

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've used the Symtec $50 under grip heat pads on at least 15 bikes and totally happy with them. Have Oxfords on one bike at this time and they a great also.

TravelGuy

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
I had HotGrips on my SV650, no complaints and they are manufactured local in New Hampshire

on my Vee, it came new with Suzuki heated grips, many diss them cause the heating elements do not wrap completely around, there is about 25° of the circumference that is not heated

Guess WHAT, your hands never rest on that part of the grip, you are not wasting watts heating air space, they keep my hands just as warm as the HotGrips I had on my SV, and the controller is much better, large knob, easy to adjust the with your left thumb

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had HotGrips on my SV650, no complaints and they are manufactured local in New Hampshire

on my Vee, it came new with Suzuki heated grips, many diss them cause the heating elements do not wrap completely around, there is about 25° of the circumference that is not heated

Guess WHAT, your hands never rest on that part of the grip, you are not wasting watts heating air space, they keep my hands just as warm as the HotGrips I had on my SV, and the controller is much better, large knob, easy to adjust the with your left thumb
Your hands aren't big enough to go around the entire handlebar? :confused: In actuality, the Suzuki heated grips only get hot around 180-deg.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the good feedback. Does anyone know the difference between the Hot Hands Carbon and the regular Hot Hands overgrips? The carbon seems to be harder to find.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I had 41 watt grips on my '07 -- hot as all get out, you really had to be careful about burning your hands. I forget the brand. No others have come close.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Your hands aren't big enough to go around the entire handlebar? :confused: In actuality, the Suzuki heated grips only get hot around 180-deg.
I wear size XXXL gloves and even then, depending on the brand, they are tight, so my fingers can wrap around and then some. However I am not doing pull ups, I roll the throttle with the palm of my hand and while I don't necessarily cover the brake and clutch, I don't grip the handlebars like a pull up bar either

Like I said, Suzuki heated grips work just as well as any other brand if you grip the bars properly

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wear size XXXL gloves and even then, depending on the brand, they are tight, so my fingers can wrap around and then some. However I am not doing pull ups, I roll the throttle with the palm of my hand and while I don't necessarily cover the brake and clutch, I don't grip the handlebars like a pull up bar either

Like I said, Suzuki heated grips work just as well as any other brand if you grip the bars properly
Oh, Gripping the bars properly, sorry i haven't been doing that....:frown:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Apparently the Oxford Hot Hands Carbon is only sold outside the US. I asked Hot Hands USA about them and they said they don't stock them. I'm assuming they are manufactured overseas and there is just a distributor here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Problem with that big knob is that it is drawing full voltage/wattage at all settings.

TravelGuy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts