StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it is starting to get a little cold here in New England but I want to keep riding my 650 Strom until the snow flies (then I'll jump on the REV).

I have installed the Suzuki Hand Guards which block the wind a bit but heated grips would be the "hot" ticket. What grips and wiring configuration do people recommend? Any installation tips?

Are heated gloves a better alternative?

Thanks for any input,

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I prefer heated gloves. I have the Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves. I ride until it snows. The gloves heat the entire hand. I know a lot of folks like the heated grips, but that concept just never appealed to me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
warm hands any way you want 'em

Warm hands? Gotta have 'em. Like most of you, we know about cold weather riding here in the mountains of NH. I have tried in the last 30 years about every method of keeping warm hands on the controls. Every method has its pros and cons.

Heated gloves? Had some Widder lectric gloves for years. Personally I don't care for them. They never got truly very warm and every time you suit up you have to fish wires out of your sleeves and plug in your gloves. Too much work for me and not warm enough on a NH December afternoon.

Heated grips? There's the very inexpensive heating elements, like Kimpex you install under any grip you like. They are cheap to buy and a little work to install. I think they work fine. They are better if you wire in a Heat Troller so you are not wasting any power you are not using and so you can dial in the exact level of warmth you want. Down side is you need to be very careful that nothing snags on the wires and rips 'em out. A neat install is essential.

Then there's the heated grips with the heating elements molded right in. They cost a hundred or more bucks or more and most of them work great. I have read the factory Suzuki heated grips are very poor performers but I can't say I know that for a fact. But with any heated grip you are stuck with whatever rubber density and pattern the grips come with. They may not be the most comfortable grips and you have to live with them year round. Since they cost a lot that could be a bummer.

Heated grips wraps...I think they are swell. They cost around seventy dollars, they are very quick to install, they get bloody hot and do it fast. They are removeable in warm weather and allow you to have whatever grips you want. Yes, they do make the grips fatter but it's never bothered me any. Currently, this solution makes the most sense for me.

Heaters aside, you can bundle up your hands too. There's a farkle called Hippo Hands that are big quilted, oversized mittens that cover your controls. You stick your hands in there and it helps a great deal. For extreme cold riding, maybe colder than you really ought to ride in, some combination of heaters and hippo hands are the hot setup, pun of course, intended.

There! That's my two cents on warm hands. Now get out there and ride.

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
I traveled down both the heated gloves and grips paths. I've got a set of Gerbing's gloves that work wonderfully but are a bit too bulky for me. I find that my pinky and ring fingers get tired trying to get a good grip through the gloves. They are a pain to get on and hooked up when starting out but they do keep my hands toasty warm. I've also installed the Kimpex grip heaters under my grips. These work well also and allow me to wear thinner gloves that provide a good feel of the controls. The backs of my hands will get cold if I don't run some type of handguard like the Acerbis Flag or the factory Suzi knuckle guard.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I could add my two cents worth-- I have the 04 bigstrom, and a congenital condition where my hands are constantly cold even at room temperature. I got my bike with the Suzuki heated grips. I'm a lousy bargainer, but the dealership finally threw them in as a deal maker. I have to say I'm pleased with them. They're on a rheostat so I can dial in what I like, and the factory hand guards keep alot of wind off to boot. I've never tried heated gloves, but I use supple leather gloves with a goretex liner and stay comfortable. My biggest recommendation would be to not have your gloves too tight.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for this. I'm currently trying to decide between gloves, grips or grip wrap. I'm increasingly inclined to grip wrap based on it's cost, easy install, etc. What are the good grip wraps? I've heard good things about Oxford, but they wouldn't even respond to my e-mails, which makes me wonder about quality when their service is obviously lacking.

Bob

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have installed Oxford Heated Grips, and till now no problems and a big change driving in cold conditions. I will never have a bike without this accessory.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heated grips

Does anyone know the part number or where to get the right part to hook up heated trips with that unused connector hiding behind the radiator? I'm new to the group and I know there were earlier posts on the subject. I understand the connector is actually there for grips, and I found it just fine. But my dealer wasn't sure about the rest of the connection could be made. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Scott,
If you have a 1000, the p/n is 36852-06G00. I got mine here Ron Ayers. It's #7 on the list.
I'm using it to trigger a relay to supply fused power from the battery to the grip heaters, rather than powering the heaters directly from the connector. Doing it this way saves some headaches, especially when using the heat-troller.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heated grips

Many thanks, exactly what I needed. Appreciate the help.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If anybody is thinking of getting the "OEM" heated grips; I might have a cheaper way of getting them. My local dealer quoted me $165 for the set!!! True highway robbery.

Truth is, the OEM grips aren't OEM at all. And you can get the exact same grips (not a sort-of-look-alike) from Thibault for about $80.

Go to the following link and scroll down to the bottom of the page. The item I'm talking about is #006-053 (listed as ATV 7/8" and 1" HI/LO grips), you'll also need to get the controller #006-0521.

http://tinyurl.com/45b73

As a comparison, look at the "accessories" page on the Suzuki GB website and compare the grips and controller that is being touted as "OEM" with the cheaper ones on the Thibault website.

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/partdetail.asp?id=450&m=27

Can you see the difference?

I've ordered the grips and controller listed in the Thibault catalog through a local dealer, G. Bourque's, and it came to exactly $75.44 (that's including the %15 Sales Tax in NB, Canada). Will post a full review once I get them installed.

For Stromers in the states, I'm not sure if you guys have a distributor there that sells the same aftermarket grips. In the Thibault catalog it says they're made by Seer Canada.

Cheers,
Lucky

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@luckyll
The grips you see on the UK bike are sold in the Netherlands under the Booster brand:
http://www.splashdesign.nl/catalogus/productinfo.cfm?GROEP1=0001&GROEP2=0021&GROEP3=0001&GROEP4=0000&GROEP5=0000

They are indeed the same as the Suzuki UK website shows. But when you read carefully, the UK website states: ** Actual product may differ from details shown in picture.

If you compare the OEM heated grips from the Spanish website, one sees different grips:

http://info.suzuki.es/accesorios/accesoriosdemoto_accesorios.php?nombre=V-Strom 650&ano=2004

Also other European Suzuki websites display the heated grips with the white colored text on the controler. And all these websites do not say anything about the actual product being different from the product shown.

Maybe someone who bought the original ones can shine a light on this?
Do the original Suzuki heated grips have white or red lettering on the controller?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ferdo said:
Also other European Suzuki websites display the heated grips with the white colored text on the controler. And all these websites do not say anything about the actual product being different from the product shown.

Maybe someone who bought the original ones can shine a light on this?
Do the original Suzuki heated grips have white or red lettering on the controller?
Can't be exactly sure just now, but I'm pretty sure the lettering is red. It's -5C here this morning, and the bike's tucked up in the garage. -5C riding takes much, much more than heated grips.

Cheers!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought the Suzuki heated grips for my '03 DL-1000. The lettering on the controller is red. They work great... and with any gloves I might be wearing.

Bill Pennington

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just finished installing the Suzuki heated grips on my 03 DL-1000. They are pricey but the installation is very clean. Well worth it for me. The hardest part was finding the extra plug behind the radiator. Took me 20 minutes just to find it!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I installed the Kimpex heaters over the OE grips and covered them with GrabOn foam covers. They're a little thick but very comfortable. I made a connector for the factory plug with some 18 gauge brads. I can wear my summer gloves and ride in temeratures in the teens(f) and stay plenty toasty. Total cost: $38. A clean install is a must but it's not hard. I will probably add the heat troller later. I'm going to get a Scott oiler next.

k

1 - 19 of 19 Posts