StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm putting on Bike Master heated grips. 2014 DL1000. Before i run wires under the tank to the battery (always ON) What do you guys think of direct to the cigarette lighter...goes off when the key is off too. Anyone been there, done that?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Hi All, I'm putting on Bike Master heated grips. 2014 DL1000. Before i run wires under the tank to the battery (always ON) What do you guys think of direct to the cigarette lighter...goes off when the key is off too. Anyone been there, done that?

Thanks

There is a accessory connector under the tank somewhere. Typically it's used for heated grips.

Eastern Beaver will have the mating connector or you may be able to find/modify something from an auto parts store.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Another opportunity for the newbie to learn to use Google search, including "stromtrooper" in the search parameters. There are many, many helpful threads about wiring accessories on the V-Strom using a relay, a trigger power source and preferably a simple fuse block or box if connecting more than one or two.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,230 Posts
Use the accessory plug to power a relay and bring a fused, 10-15 amp big fat wire, 10/12 gauge for the relay to supply power to your outlet. It's what I did so I can run an air pump for flat fixes.

·
Super Moderator
16,234 Posts
Yup get the Eastern Beaver plug and play wiring, best of luck with those grips as they don't have the best reviews.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The horn is another easy place to get switched 12v to power a relay.

Because heated grips draw quite a lot of power I prefer them hooked directly to the battery as the manufacturer recommends.

Less joints and less chances for things to go wrong.

Once you have run the grip wires under the tank & to the battery you can use those same wires to upgrade the power socket on the dash so it can take a bigger load if you wish.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've read that some heated grips (Oxfords in particular, maybe others) can behave erratically if not wired direct to battery. I'd follow mfr suggestion. Only draw back with direct battery connection is forgetting that they are left on when off the bike. My oxfords have a low voltage safety circuit that shuts them off when battery voltage drops below around 11.6V.
Heated grips are amazing, 1st bike I've ever had with them. Lowered my comfortable riding temp to <50F. Should've tried them sooner.

·
Registered
14,230 Posts
I can vouch for the Oxfords. My 04 Wee was wired directly to the battery by the previous owner and they've works splendidly since I go the bike. The older version controller will let you run down the battery though. Some things have gotten better.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yeah, the "newer" (at least the last 5 years) version Oxford controller monitors the voltage and auto powers off shortly (5 minutes, I think) after you turn the bike off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the imput....I looked all over for the hidden heated grip connector, behind the radiator, on the left, on the right. Removed the tank, looked in there, me no got. Decided to run a power port from the battery with a quick release, added a quick release to the heated grip connection for an on/off if needed. and can charge the battery on the quick connect too.

Put it all back together and now all the lights light up, the fuel pump activates but the starter is silent. Perhaps I disturbed some connection somewhere, maybe when tapping on the right throttle side to fully seat. going to trouble shoot the starter....any ideas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update....bypassed and connected the clutch engage switch and "Viola" starter is back. I guess off to the Suzuki dealer for the switch.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Thanks
No, I suggest a simply 12v relay in inline from the battery, the relay can be triggered off the Cigarette lighter power. I use one of the commercially available wiring hubs that are available to make connections for accessories like these grips and other lights. These hubs allow for constant on and well as switched power outlets and offer fusing for these connections.

Here is link to one I have: PC-8

Notice the two connections to the far right are constant on connects and the others are switched. Just make sure you make your connections to the bike through a relay for the switched side.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No, I suggest a simply 12v relay in inline from the battery, the relay can be triggered off the Cigarette lighter power. I use one of the commercially available wiring hubs that are available to make connections for accessories like these grips and other lights. These hubs allow for constant on and well as switched power outlets and offer fusing for these connections.

Here is link to one I have: PC-8

Notice the two connections to the far right are constant on connects and the others are switched. Just make sure you make your connections to the bike through a relay for the switched side.

View attachment 268483
Kind of off topic but I have the exact same PC8 from my Africa Twin that I got rid of. I would like to adapt it to my 2018 Vstrom 1000 XT. Do you know where they access the switchable power? Is there any chance of getting the correct plug that I can put on my PC8 harness so I have the plug and play? I don’t want to spend $250 when all I need is a $2 plug.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Switchable power you can get from rear light and power is the best from the battery itself. If you need it at the front of the bike, you can get switchable power from front light, just behind the dash.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Switchable power you can get from rear light and power is the best from the battery itself. If you need it at the front of the bike, you can get switchable power from front light, just behind the dash.
Isn’t there an extra accessory plug that has switchable power that the PC8 is designed to use on the Vee? My PC8 harness for my Africa Twin plugged right into it. The plug was for a factory alarm option. So it was a plug and play deal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been running temporary grip heaters (wrap around the grip with velcro cinch) this winter, powered off the power plug. No issues so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Use the accessory plug to power a relay and bring a fused, 10-15 amp big fat wire, 10/12 gauge for the relay to supply power to your outlet. It's what I did so I can run an air pump for flat fixes.
my Heat Demon grip heaters are 3 amps, Oxfords are also less than 4 amps. So a 15 amp circuit is overkill, as is 10/12 ga. wire, at least it is for these popular brands.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts