StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - I picked up a new bike last week - got a great deal on a 2010, black, full luggage, with under 700kms on it. It's a "stumbled-upon" replacement for my 2006.

I'm in the process of re-farkling and want to add a 12v outlet up front for my GPS. I've read lots of posts referring to the wiring harness connection for heated grips located behind the radiator as an ideal switched connection point. I've looked for it but can't locate it.

Anyone have a photo?

Reactions: Fhmy

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hey everyone - I picked up a new bike last week - got a great deal on a 2010, black, full luggage, with under 700kms on it. It's a "stumbled-upon" replacement for my 2006.

I'm in the process of re-farkling and want to add a 12v outlet up front for my GPS. I've read lots of posts referring to the wiring harness connection for heated grips located behind the radiator as an ideal switched connection point. I've looked for it but can't locate it.

Anyone have a photo?
I've got a photo at home, I think. I'll try to find it after work. In the mean time, here are some instructions on how to find it:
  1. Loosen the allen bolts that attach the radiator to the fairing.
  2. IIRC, there is another bolt at the bottom of the radiator that attaches to the engine case. If so, loosen it.
  3. Pull the radiator towards the front wheel.
  4. You should see a wiring harness just behind and near the top of the radiator. You will probably need a flaslight to see up in there, because it is pretty well hidden.
  5. In that wire bundle, you should see a small, black connector just barely poking out of the wire bundle. If you are more than eight years old, it will be almost impossible to reach...almost. I had to use needle-nose pliers to plug in my Eastern Beaver connector, and I'm not an especially large guy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - that should help. It sounds really well hidden!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The wires are as follows, orange/green is the hot switched power, and the black/white is the ground. They are difficult to reach but very helpful when needing a source of switched fused power.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sorry, I got sidetracked after I got home from work last night and forgot to upload my pictures. Here they are:

It's the little black connector just between the voltage regulator and the cylinder head in the first photo. The second photo shows a zoomed-out view with the Eastern Beaver wiring harness connected to the heated grip plug -- it's the white connector with the thick wire bundle coming out of it. The heated grip connector is just about hidden in the shadows behind the Eastern Beaver harness.

Reactions: mtl

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a million for the photo. It's really helpful. Is that a down from the top of the bike view, or up from the bottom?

Looks like a very tight space. I don't have large hands but may need to enlist either a 5 year old or a hobbit to get in there!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks a million for the photo. It's really helpful. Is that a down from the top of the bike view, or up from the bottom?

Looks like a very tight space. I don't have large hands but may need to enlist either a 5 year old or a hobbit to get in there!
My photos were taken from the right side of the bike, looking slightly upwards.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Is there an easy alternative to the Eastern Beaver wiring harness connector? I was planning on installing heated grips tomorrow for an upcoming trip next week. Don't really have time to order the EB part.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The horn connector will plug right in. If you have the stock horn, nobody will miss it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just picked up an 11 & cut the connector off & just soldered & heat shrinked the connection. If I every have to change them I will resolder. Here are a couple pics of the final product. I should have taken some of the connection though. While I was doing the grips & had the fairing off I also installed a 12volt receptacle in the right side cable loop.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Renegade, out of curiosity, how did you get access to the heated plug connector to clip and solder on it? Did you remove the airbox? I don't think I could have gotten to my connector with a soldering iron from the side like I did to plug in the EB connector.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got my bike apart right now and it's way easier to get to if you take off the air box.

Another option is you can order the stock heated grip wire from the dealer for like $7, then just cut off the other end that you don't need.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Another option is you can order the stock heated grip wire from the dealer for like $7, then just cut off the other end that you don't need.
Do you happen to have a part number for that (just in case my local dealer has one in stock).

·
38,103 Posts
A Suzuki horn lead will plug into the heated grips connector. Part number 36852-06G00. The OEM actual heated grip wire is available with the heated grip kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Renegade, out of curiosity, how did you get access to the heated plug connector to clip and solder on it? Did you remove the airbox? I don't think I could have gotten to my connector with a soldering iron from the side like I did to plug in the EB connector.
I just unravelled the tape on the harness & pulled the grip connector wires back an extra 6" giving me plenty of room to cut & solder. Reinstalled some new heat shrink & it looks factory. I will try & take some pics tomorrow, it literally took 15 minutes to do & the cost was 0.00$

·
Registered
99 Posts
A Suzuki horn lead will plug into the heated grips connector. Part number 36852-06G00. The OEM actual heated grip wire is available with the heated grip kit.
Hi Greywolf, sorry to resurrect such an old post, but I am wondering if I can order this stock horn lead plug and then use that with my new Symtec Heat Demon Grip Warmers on my 2009 DL650? I would prefer to do this if possible than just wire the Symtec grip warmers directly to my battery. Has anybode done this? Does it then disable the Hi/Lo/Off switch when the ignition is turned off? This is what I want so that I do not accidentally leave my grip warmers on and run down the battery, which I have done on a previous bike.

·
38,103 Posts
That is what you get when you use that connector. It's off when the ignition is off, fused, and designed to support heated grips.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts