StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my Barkbusters. Wondering if I should obtain heated grips and do this all at once. I dont know how much I'll need heated grips living in SE Tenn but Im hoping for Canada and Alaska trips in '15 or '16.

Would you get the grips and put 'em in now?

Thanks,
John

Edit Add- Given that I'll be doing lots of highway miles on a Mex/Guat trip this Fall, do I seriously need to consider a throttle lock? One compatible with Barkbusters and heated grips? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
If you are ever going to install heated grips, it makes sense to do them in advance of installing the barkbusters. Otherwise, you will have a duplication (triplication ? , really) of labor involved in mounting them, taking them off, then mounting them again.

It's not a big deal I guess, but I hate doing unnecessary work.

As far as "needing" heated grips, there's dudes in Florida that rock heated grips. They are nice in any climate for warding off chilly night air, damp morning air, etc. I think every time I've ever ridden to Naples to see my parents I've used the grips on different stages of the trip.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm in N. Alabama and every time I've been on the bike since October (with a few exceptions), I've had the heated grips turned on. My hands still got cold below 45, because I have nothing blocking the wind and heated grips don't help the top of your hands. I have some hand guards now to install, not sure if that would make a whole lot of difference. If I was going to do sustained below 40 riding, I'd have heated gloves and hand guards.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I've never used the BB brand but they appear to install like others do - expander nut in the handlebar end. That expander nut has a finite number of uses before it is toast, I would personally prefer not to use it on an install that is going to be uninstalled and then reinstalled a week later.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
The Oxfords are cheap anyways. You may as well get them.

I have never needed a throttle lock on a 12+ hour ride. Never get a sore wrist either. Usually it's my legs that complain from sitting too long, but the journey is so amazing i never want to stop. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Oxfords are cheap anyways. You may as well get them.

I have never needed a throttle lock on a 12+ hour ride. Never get a sore wrist either. Usually it's my legs that complain from sitting too long, but the journey is so amazing i never want to stop. :)
Cheap. Not good quality or just inexpensive?

A friend tells me the throttle lock is mostly (for him) a convenience to do things while riding without having keep a hand on the throttle. Its been some time since he told me exactly those things.

Thanks,
John

·
Administrator
17,003 Posts
The option of being able to take any strain off the wrist is paramount on the long slab, and the throttle rocker or cramp buster gets the job done and you can remove them at any time.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Oxfords are fine quality. I have a set on both my Stroms. Buy the newest set, with the V.8 controller (photo below), as it is much more efficient, actually shuts off the grips when you leave them on (the old one claimed to but didn't) and is easier to install as they eliminated one set of wires and a control box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts