StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I fitted Oxford Hot Grips recently and wired them straight across the battery but would like to put them on a switched feed so I can't leave them switched on and fry the battery, can anyone suggest a reliable point to tap into that won't cause any dilemas.

DC

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I haven't done it but I read elsewhere on this forum that you can tap into the factory accessory heated grip plug with a horn feed wire available from your dealer. Evidently the horn and heated grip plugs are the same.

Look back through the older heated grip posts for more details.

k

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as you're using a relay, you can tap into just about any wire that becomes live when the ignition is on. The taillight is one I've used before.

Paul

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to tap them on one of the light wire but since I located the accessoirie plug behind the radiator, I had to use it. So I bought the wire lead horn from the dealer, waited 2 weeks to get it but everything was a breeze to install and look clean.
Pif.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers fellas, I'll look into this accessory plug socket I think.

DC

·
Registered
441 Posts
The beauty of wiring into the factory plug is that the circuit is already fuse protected and switched with the ignition. You can't possibly kill the battery by leaving the grips on when it's wired that way

I would strongly suggest you also use the fuse that comes with the Hot Hands too.

Ride well and with warm mitts.

Jeff

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have the p/n for this accessory lead I need to plug into the heated grip circuit?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you sir. As you were typing it, I found it in another thread and I'm at ronayers right now ordering it up :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reference that accessory plug behind the radiator.

Once you plug in the horn lead wire, how much slack do you have to work with? Does it hang out under the fairing for easy access after that?

How many accessories can you hook up to this wire? 1? 2?

·
Registered
178 Posts
It is best just to use the horn lead to enegize a relay and run accessories from the relay or an accessory block powered from the relay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts