StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To everyone who has third party heated grips. Where did you mount your switch? Photos would be great!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Here are a couple of photos (scroll down). The "Switch for all Accessories" turns the grips on and the knob labeled "Heated Grips" is the Heat Troller for adjusting the Heated Grips.

I like the Heat Troller location ok, but I'm not as happy about the location of the Switch for all Accessories. It is not a bad setup, but I doubt any of it is going to stay that way when I figure out how I want to do this better.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
My HotGrips + heated gloves Heat-Troller knob is on the clutch side hand guard. You can also see the matching silver dot just to the left of the gold steering stabilizer that is the top of the Heat-Troller for the jacket liner. The button on the right as pictured of the same tank front panel and just above and left of the plastic rivet is the garage door opener.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Not the greatest pic, but you get the idea. I used a pcv sprinkler elbow and inserted the switch inside. I ran the wires out the other end. I attached it to the mirror mount with zip ties. It's not necessarily the cleanest looking job, but it works great and I don't have to reach far to turn it off or on.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Here's my setup - I put everything on the cable guide mounts in front of the handlebars. I used the corner of an old plastic multimeter case and a spare metal bracket to make the mounts. Nice for keeping everything out of the way, but this placement is not convenient for use when in motion. As I generally don't need to fiddle with the grip ON/OFF or the lights while moving, that's OK. But I do find I want to adjust the heated grips, and that location is not easy to reach while riding.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the thread here, but why do you need the on/off switch for the grip heaters if you have the heat troller? I was under the impression that when I wire my symtecs with the heat troller the on/off switch isn't needed because there is a positive off on the heat troller. When I look at the symtec instructions I see the same thing. I'm just getting ready to install mine and want to be sure I understand it before I install it.

SS

·
Registered
615 Posts
...why do you need the on/off switch for the grip heaters if you have the heat troller? I was under the impression that when I wire my symtecs with the heat troller the on/off switch isn't needed because there is a positive off on the heat troller.

SS
SS, it depends on your Heat Troller if you have a positive on/off or not. It also depends on how you have it wired if an accessory stays on when the bike is shut off. Unless accessories are always off with the ignition, you need a switch to turn them off.

In my case, my Heat Troller has no positive off and my accessories stay on when the bike is off unless I swtich them off, so I need the switch.

I'd never trust those positive off trollers or any positive off accessories. If you forget to turn one off, you can kill your battery obviously, and I can forget anything given enough opportunities.

I'm rewiring everything to be always off when the bike is off. Then I won't need the switch.

(Unless I want to turn off all the accessories when the bike is running... :mrgreen:)

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the thread here, but why do you need the on/off switch for the grip heaters if you have the heat troller?

SS
In my case, I already had the switch installed, the controller wouldn't fit in the same area, and it was just easier to run a coupla wires from the switch to the controller rather than running all the wires over. Plus it gives me an absolute OFF that's visually obvious.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Thanks for the clarification on that. It is appreciated. I'll be getting my power from the switched plug behind the rad and I have the newer style heat troller with the positive off.

Thanks again.

SS

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey Mr.Vvrroomm,

Where did you get that shelf? I've been trying to find something like that for my Vee but no luck. Currently have have a makeshift item that uses the cable guide to the right of the key to mount my heattroller, but would like something a little nicer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts