StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought someone had mentioned an extra plug on the 650, and that it was for heated grips. I've got my bike torn down to the frame so I can add on some accessories.. so where's that plug?

I found an 8-connector plug behind the battery, to the left side. But why are there 8 connections for heated grips? I feel like I'm missing something.

Any recommendations on where to tap for a switched-on power supply?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Above and behind the radiator, there is a plastic shelf with a bunch of wire connectors attached to the top side of it. I removed fairings and the gas tank and still didn't have a good view or easy access to this area. The heated grip connector is there- on the left side, almost completely hidden by being attached with black electrical tape to another connector. You have to unwrap the tape to get to the connector. It's a 2 wire molex type connector- the wires are green and orange (I think), and black with a white stripe, which is the ground, I'm told. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found the heated grip connector ( it is difficult to get to, but possible from under the left side) Does anyone know what the mating Molex part number would be for the heated grip connector? Also, where would be a good place to try and get the connector from.
I was going to install the heated grip kit from Dual Star (http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm) and wanted to use this connector as my power source.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
28 Posts
This probably isn't the smartest, or the best, or the easiest, or the cheapest way to do it, but I think it will work. The horn is connected with a short pigtail that has spade connectors at the horn end and a 2 wire molex female connector at the other. Based on appearance, the female end on the horn pigtail will match the male end of the heated grip connector (someone on another board mentioned using that connector for this purpose, but I haven't actually plugged it together myself, so I'm only assuming it will work). So you could go to your Suzuki dealer and have him order part #36852-06G00, wait about 10 days, and pay around $9 (remember, I didn't say it was the cheapest way to do it). If you want to use the ground wire on that connector, you still have the problem of separating and running the ground wires from the grips to the connector while the other wires go to the switch.

My dealer told me that you can't order the molex connector as a separate item. I don't understand why molex connectors aren't standardized- can anybody explain that to me? In simple terms, please, cause I'm not real sharp. There is one possible source for the connector alone, but I'm not sure it's the correct one, and shipping will end up making it as expensive as the Suzuki part, but here it is: http://www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/hitachi.htm

I'm trying to do the same thing, but I'm waiting for my handlebar mounted switch to get in before I take the fairing/tank apart again to access the wire harness. At this rate, it'll be summer before I get my heated grips working. I've managed to make it way more complicated than it needs to be, but what else is new? Good luck, and let me know if you discover a more rational way to do this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think I might have found an easier way to get to the harness. If you follow the directions in the DL650 owners manual for replacing the front spark plug, It has you swing away the radiator and I believe this will give you more room to access the connector. I haven't tried it yet but will when I find/get a connector to install. I will see what I can do to find a connector that will work.
Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
jtf650 said:
This probably isn't the smartest, or the best, or the easiest, or the cheapest way to do it, but I think it will work. The horn is connected with a short pigtail that has spade connectors at the horn end and a 2 wire molex female connector at the other. Based on appearance, the female end on the horn pigtail will match the male end of the heated grip connector (someone on another board mentioned using that connector for this purpose, but I haven't actually plugged it together myself, so I'm only assuming it will work). So you could go to your Suzuki dealer and have him order part #36852-06G00, wait about 10 days, and pay around $9 (remember, I didn't say it was the cheapest way to do it). If you want to use the ground wire on that connector, you still have the problem of separating and running the ground wires from the grips to the connector while the other wires go to the switch.

My dealer told me that you can't order the molex connector as a separate item. I don't understand why molex connectors aren't standardized- can anybody explain that to me? In simple terms, please, cause I'm not real sharp. There is one possible source for the connector alone, but I'm not sure it's the correct one, and shipping will end up making it as expensive as the Suzuki part, but here it is: http://www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/hitachi.htm

I'm trying to do the same thing, but I'm waiting for my handlebar mounted switch to get in before I take the fairing/tank apart again to access the wire harness. At this rate, it'll be summer before I get my heated grips working. I've managed to make it way more complicated than it needs to be, but what else is new? Good luck, and let me know if you discover a more rational way to do this.
I searched as much as possible but didn't see a total install thread for the Dual Start grips for the 650 Strom...anyone have one or know where one is?

If I buy the connectors from the Electrical Connection instead of the OEM part above which connectors do I get?

I might buy a few to cover the shipping and will let any one else buy tone from me at cost plus a 39 cent stamp I imagine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello,,,does anyone know the answer to this question on plug n play electric grips?

Is the 2 wire ones sold by EC the correct ones?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts