StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

need to buy HG for the new bike. I previously used the Oxford Touring HG's and they were great. I'm too lazy to check dimensions. Anyone install HG's on their current gen V? If so, which brand, model and how do you like them?

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have the Oxford Sport grips on my Fazer 8. Nice and grippy, not the softest grip material they make though, I don't think. They work great.

I wish the heated grips on my new-to-me R1200RT had a third, lower heat setting. Even the lowest setting will cook your palms through normal gloves. Should work great with insulated gloves (which I guess they figured you'd be wearing if it's cold out), though.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I loved my Oxford Touring grips on my wee. Curious if the grips on a '18 vee are the same dimensions as the '15 wee.

How did you mount the controller?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve got Koso Apollo’s waiting to go on my new bike. The switch is part of the left grip so you don’t have a controller cluttering up your handlebars.
https://www.amazon.com/Koso-AM111030-Apollo-Heated-Grips/dp/B00T6IX42S

If you don’t mind a small controller, Bikemaster makes these ones with an integrated LCD voltmeter on the controller. (I also have a set of these waiting to go on my dualsport)
https://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Heated-Grips-LCD-Switch/dp/B00NYBZ4CQ
I really like the integrated buttons on the Koso! Didn't even know these existed until today.

Any long term reports on these?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the DL1000 XT bars tapered? Meaning, are the grips are 7/8th? The risers needed 1 1/8th diameter due to the larger bar size on the XT.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, I loved my Oxford Touring grips on my wee. Curious if the grips on a '18 vee are the same dimensions as the '15 wee.

How did you mount the controller?
I trimmed the mounting plate to only one hole, pounded it near flat and repainted it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
622 Posts
I really like the integrated buttons on the Koso! Didn't even know these existed until today.
Dittoes. That's pretty cool. I wonder if they have the auto shutoff feature like the Oxfords? Hmm, they have some sort of low voltage shut off. The Oxfords have some sort of logic that detects the lowered voltage once the bike is turned off and shuts the grips down after 5? 10? minutes. Doesn't matter if connected to a switched circuit, of course.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you can afford a couple more bucks I would recommend heated gloves...I'm definitely getting a pair of the new tourmaster rechargeable ones this fall myself, if its warmish you don't have to turn them on but having had heated grips they just don't keep my hands that warm honestly and I ride pretty much all year

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you can afford a couple more bucks I would recommend heated gloves...I'm definitely getting a pair of the new tourmaster rechargeable ones this fall myself, if its warmish you don't have to turn them on but having had heated grips they just don't keep my hands that warm honestly and I ride pretty much all year
Absolutely! Warm n' Safe heated gloves for sure for the cold season. Heated grips only take you so far into the cold.

Heated grips for every other day, including summer evenings, cool mornings, etc, with my Klim Inversion gloves for comfort.

·
Administrator
13,345 Posts
In my opinion the best Heated grips you can get are from the company the invented them.

Their name is "Hot Grips". One thing that it appears most of the copies haven't done is "Ribbed" the underside of the left grip so that the heat isn't sucked out through the handlebars. I put about 200,000 km on the heated grips on my 2006 DL650 (actually used two sets as I wore the first out.)

(Having said the above once I got heated gloves I stooped bothering with heated grips. Still have a set of heated grips I may install some day just because.)

..Tom

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Oxford ADV grips. Very good quality. 5 settings.
Balanced heat. Get the newest version w/ waterproof connectors.

I've used these on all my bikes over the past 7-ish years. Early models had issues not sensing voltage and not shutting off (if wired to battery) but the more recent models have fixed that.

The only negative I can come up with is that the mounting bracket rusts easily. I fixed that by mocking one up out of aluminum.

Fat bars are only fat in the middle; the grips and control mounting areas are still 7/8".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts